Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
a black iphone or dark space grey iPhone 6 it's on the oficial iphone 6 camera's site (at the bottom)

Is there that option anywhere? That's a thousand times more beautilful than the "plastic grey thing" available in Spain

OfHOxTL.png

https://www.apple.com/es/iphone-6/cameras/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hate to break the news to you, but that is the space gray model.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
I hate to break the news to you, but that is the space gray model.

Oh! I don't understand then, look at mine, the grey plastic bands are close to be white:
CLE2kqG.jpg

Maybe mine is wrong or something?
I'm very confused now, I've been looking around in internet and the are huge color differences, even hard to thing it's just about the light in the picture...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Oh! I don't understand then, look at mine, the grey plastic bands are close to be white:

Maybe mine is wrong or something?
I'm very confused now, I've been looking around in internet and the are huge color differences, even hard to thing it's just about the light in the picture...

The picture on Apple's site is a rendering, not an actual picture. It's the same,e phone, they just gave different lighting to their rendering to make it look a bit darker.

It is the same phone, just like all space grey phones. There is nothing wrong with your phone, it looks how it's meant to look and how everyone else's looks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The side of the iPhone in your OP, is space gray. We can't see the rear of the phone, but the sides look identical to mine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's Apple for you. They KNOW people want a black iPhone, but they don't MAKE a black iPhone.

Their advertising SUGGESTS a black iPhone, but you GET a Space Gray iPhone.

Yay Apple. :(

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think they re reserving the black color for the 6s

I actually think they avoid black b.c of the anodizing. It nicks easily and the silver ends up shinning through. That is why after the iphone 5 "slate" they stopped with black.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I would venture a guess that EVERY SINGLE IPHONE THAT YOU SEE on Apples website is either totally CGI or so very photoshopped that it might as well be a shark with al laser strapped to its head.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I actually think they avoid black b.c of the anodizing. It nicks easily and the silver ends up shinning through. That is why after the iphone 5 "slate" they stopped with black.
Right. Which is why their advertising is so irritating. You are seeing what is essentially a black iPhone because that's what they know will draw people in. If they advertised a real Space Gray iPhone they'd have less interest.

But when you get there, you get Space Gray instead.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Well, I prefer the smoked silver look to black any way, but my antenna bands do look a good bit darker than yours. Maybe it's very dependent on lighting.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I agree, I hate this design. I'm thinking of skipping the 6s as well and waiting for the 7 unless it really has some amazing new features.

The talk is the 6S will have a huge camera upgrade, the biggest ever. If that's so, I'll definitely buy it.

But otherwise, I don't like the design either. I much prefer the design of the 5 and 5S.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain

I know the big fail it was painting the aluminium iphone 5 edges in black, the ligthest scuff showed the silver color of the aluminium, but at least, they could use some for the iphone 6 bands a darker plastic or just one not as translucent as this.
It os like the skin, the light travel inside the plastic and change the color too much.
Anyway, dark or not. The plastic looks incredible ugly and cheap.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I know the big fail it was painting the aluminium iphone 5 edges in black, the ligthest scuff showed the silver color of the aluminium, but at least, they could use some for the iphone 6 bands a darker plastic or just one not as translucent as this.
It os like the skin, the light travel inside the plastic and change the color too much.
Anyway, dark or not. The plastic looks incredible ugly and cheap.

If I had to guess, the original plans were to launch the iPhone with the darker bands pictured but something happened during manufacturing. I agree that the back doesn't look great... it is what made going with silver this year a lot easier for me. I think the black front with the silver back would have looked nicer than what they ended up going with...

I recall the iPhone 4 being presented in white at the keynote but it took something like 8 months for it to actually be launched due to some manufacturing issues.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If I had to guess, the original plans were to launch the iPhone with the darker bands pictured but something happened during manufacturing.

If you mean darker bands pictured in the OP, that's unlikely as it's just a render and thus an artifact of the render. They simply enhanced the render to look darker, including the Space Gray color itself, as it looks better that way. However, the antenna bands on the Space Gray production model do appear lighter or darker depending on the viewing angle and the lighting.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
If I had to guess, the original plans were to launch the iPhone with the darker bands pictured but something happened during manufacturing. I agree that the back doesn't look great... it is what made going with silver this year a lot easier for me. I think the black front with the silver back would have looked nicer than what they ended up going with...

I recall the iPhone 4 being presented in white at the keynote but it took something like 8 months for it to actually be launched due to some manufacturing issues.

You are clutching at straws- it's more likely to be the rendering coulur that is wrong rather than manufacturing issues. Comparing to the White iPhone 4 is not relevant at all.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You are clutching at straws- it's more likely to be the rendering coulur that is wrong rather than manufacturing issues. Comparing to the White iPhone 4 is not relevant at all.

How is it not relevant? The white iPhone had home button color issues. I am suggesting something similar may have happened here.

----------

If you mean darker bands pictured in the

Depends on when the renders were made. Are we really implying that Apple couldn't get the render to ook like the actual product? Especially when the other two are spot on? If you folks say so...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Depends on when the renders were made. Are we really implying that Apple couldn't get the render to ook like the actual product? Especially when the other two are spot on? If you folks say so...

It's quite obvious that the Space Gray color on the renders isn't as dark as the actual production models, and this is most likely done on purpose so Space Gray looks more different from Silver than in real life especially when stacked next to each other for marketing purposes. There's no reason for them to use an obsolete render based on a pre-production model, if any.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's quite obvious that the Space Gray color on the renders isn't as dark as the actual production models, and this is most likely done on purpose so Space Gray looks more different from Silver than in real life especially when stacked next to each other for marketing purposes. There's no reason for them to use an obsolete render based on a pre-production model, if any.

I disagree that changing the color of the bands is in any way necessary to distinguish between the two models. But the point is moot. I merely gave a suggestion as to what I think may have happened. Doesn't really matter though, does it?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I disagree that changing the color of the bands is in any way necessary to distinguish between the two models. But the point is moot. I merely gave a suggestion as to what I think may have happened. Doesn't really matter though, does it?

I wasn't talking about the band color but the color of Space Gray vs. Silver body. If someone posts a real-life photo of the back of either one, it's really difficult to tell unless we see the front (black vs. white face).

The band color on the Space Gray model does change depending on the viewing angle and lighting. As a result, it can be darker or lighter than the body. The OP was asking why the Space Gray body is so much darker in the render than in real life. "Dark space grey" were his exact words.

Your suggestion doesn't sound plausible to me, but we'll have to agree to disagree about our speculations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.