Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Not sure how that last number relates but my version is new and it is 5-17-6. New version from Nov 20th. Maybe that's the tablet version?

Last edited:

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Just did my upgrade with T-mobile. The 64GB showed up as backordered, but at least it showed. They said to expect delivery on December 9th.

Never did an upgrade before, so I don't know what to do with my iPhone once I get the Nexus 6. Do I send it back to them?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Wait ... So, in the jump program you pay off your device thru installment payments and you still don't own it?

you lease the phone. After, I think, 6 months you can "jump". You trade in your old phone and can get a new phone. If he paid the phone in full then he did not really upgrade. He just got a new phone on EIP.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I use T-Mobile with the Jump program along with being a very long term AT&T Customer, now using their Next program. Personally I prefer to own my phones outright. Therefore I initially sign for a Jump or Next phone. With zero down and zero interest it's a good deal as long as the total price of the phone is MSRP or less. Surprisingly each company prices the phones at or below MSRP, at least in my region.

Once I enroll in the program, my choice is to make monthly payments for three to six months then pay off the phone without a prepayment penalty. It's great.

The iPhone 6 I got from T-Mobile was one I chose to pay full price up front on since I already had it sold for a handsome profit to a person with lots of cash but bad credit so he could not qualify to buy it directly from the carrier.

I made serious profit and he got the exact iPhone 6 he wanted. Win/win :)

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I use T-Mobile with the Jump program along with being a very long term AT&T Customer, now using their Next program. Personally I prefer to own my phones outright. Therefore I initially sign for a Jump or Next phone. With zero down and zero interest it's a good deal as long as the total price of the phone is MSRP or less. Surprisingly each company prices the phones at or below MSRP, at least in my region.

Once I enroll in the program, my choice is to make monthly payments for three to six months then pay off the phone without a prepayment penalty. It's great.

The iPhone 6 I got from T-Mobile was one I chose to pay full price up front on since I already had it sold for a handsome profit to a person with lots of cash but bad credit so he could not qualify to buy it directly from the carrier.

Does T-Mobile charge you anything additional a month for being in the Jump program and why do you need good credit to buy a phone at full price?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I actually just cancelled my order for a Nexus 6. Still won't come for another 3 weeks and frankly I'm happy with my G3 for now.

Will wait for the next round of phones :D

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
you lease the phone. After, I think, 6 months you can "jump". You trade in your old phone and can get a new phone. If he paid the phone in full then he did not really upgrade. He just got a new phone on EIP.

That is not accurate. You are not "leasing" the phone. You actually own the phone, but you can trade it in and call the balance even, after 6 months or after paying the balance down 50% (whichever comes first). I have jump, but I opted to sell my G3 instead of trading it in. Since I only owed $244 left on it, it didn't make sense to trade it in and call it even, since the value was higher than that. Instead, I put it on Ebay and sold it for $440. That was enough to pay off the remaining balance with T-Mobile, and have left over profit.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That is not accurate. You are not "leasing" the phone. You actually own the phone, but you can trade it in and call the balance even, after 6 months or after paying the balance down 50% (whichever comes first). I have jump, but I opted to sell my G3 instead of trading it in. Since I only owed $244 left on it, it didn't make sense to trade it in and call it even, since the value was higher than that. Instead, I put it on Ebay and sold it for $440. That was enough to pay off the remaining balance with T-Mobile, and have left over profit.

That is pretty much a lease. If you decide to keep it the payments are not a lost cause.

It was good you were able to sell it, but most people will not buy a phone on EIP through a third party

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
That is pretty much a lease. If you decide to keep it the payments are not a lost cause.

It was good you were able to sell it, but most people will not buy a phone on EIP through a third party

No, it's basically just 0% financing over a 24 month term, with an option to trade it in after a certain point. With a lease, you don't own the item, however with Jump, you do own it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I actually just cancelled my order for a Nexus 6. Still won't come for another 3 weeks and frankly I'm happy with my G3 for now.

Will wait for the next round of phones :D

Same here. I have some large smartphones already. I will put this one on the backburner and perhaps wait for a better price off contract.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No, it's basically just 0% financing over a 24 month term, with an option to trade it in after a certain point. With a lease, you don't own the item, however with Jump, you do own it.

With jump you only own the phone if you pay it in full. If after 3 months you leave T-Mobile you have to pay off the entire balance. A lease works the same way. For example, at 36 months you can trade it in or if you want you can buy it out at anytime.

You also have to carry jump, so that adds $10 a month to your bill

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
With jump you only own the phone if you pay it in full. If after 3 months you leave T-Mobile you have to pay off the entire balance. A lease works the same way. For example, at 36 months you can trade it in or if you want you can buy it out at anytime.

You also have to carry jump, so that adds $10 a month to your bill

At this point, it's semantics and splitting hairs. A lease requires you to turn the phone back in after a predetermined amount of time, with an option to buy. This does not. It is nothing more than owning a phone, with financing. Similar to a mortgage. You own the home, but you're still subject to foreclosure if you don't make the payment. In this case, the "foreclosure" would be them blacklisting the phone if you don't pay it off.

Either way, it's inconsequential and we're pretty much going in circles here. In the meantime, I'm loving my Nexus 6 and don't have any real complaints thus far.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

You know with TMobile you only need to pay off half of the price of the phone to be able to upgrade again. You don't have to pay it off. Your wasting money with Jump if your paying them off since you also pay them $10 a month to have it

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
You know with TMobile you only need to pay off half of the price of the phone to be able to upgrade again. You don't have to pay it off. Your wasting money with Jump if your paying them off since you also pay them $10 a month to have it

It isn't always advantageous to trade the phone in though. For example, the G3 I just sold was worth more than 50% paid off. I sold it for $440, so had I just traded it in via Jump, I would have been shortchanging myself.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
It isn't always advantageous to trade the phone in though. For example, the G3 I just sold was worth more than 50% paid off. I sold it for $440, so had I just traded it in via Jump, I would have been shortchanging myself.

Yes I know. I'm just saying you don't need to pay them off to upgrade. You only need to pay off half. If you put half down, you can upgrade anytime you want and just sell the phone.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Does T-Mobile charge you anything additional a month for being in the Jump program and why do you need good credit to buy a phone at full price?

Great questions. Jump is 9.99 per month. Besides the early upgrade program it also provides insurance including damage replacement even if it's my fault. Upgrading is turning in my phone for another new phone with no cost to me. Once you pay the first month of jump if you aren't wanting to upgrade in the future they'll reduce your bill by $9.99 Mo. I like the program. Use 25 GB of data unthrottled every month, it benchmarks faster than my AT&T LTE. Very impressive.

The reason you need good credit is your walking out with a very expensive phone you have only promised to pay for. They have a huge risk. Payment history of past debt is important.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I just cancelled my order. Just found out my uncle's getting married in 2 weeks, and some other family stuff came up yesterday. I'll get it at another time.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I just cancelled my order. Just found out my uncle's getting married in 2 weeks, and some other family stuff came up yesterday. I'll get it at another time.

Doing the next right thing isn't easy, but you'll be so glad you made a good decision like this. Down the road when the time is right and you get your phone you'll enjoy it even more.

We need more good people like you in this world.

Cheers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.