Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
So it's getting closer to another Nexus phone release in three months. What do we expect or think we will be getting ?

- Google officially announced the Nexus smartphone is NOT dead, and will continue on, even with the upcoming 'Silver' line coming in 2015, which is basically a new name for the GPE line, but with more support from carriers and advertising, and more players involved, etc...

- Most expect it to be named the Nexus 6

- 5.2" to 5.5" screen size has been rumored for the Nexus-Six

- Snapdragon 805 also expected to be in the Nexus-Six

- Asus has been rumored to be the manufacturer this time around. Rumors last year several reports came out that Google wanted LG to start making the Nexus Tablet and have Asus switch to the Nexus smartphone, to help keep costs down. But who knows ? I also heard Sony could be up for it. But LG is out, they even stated so.

- Same price range of $399 is pretty much set.

- October announcement, with a November release has been the trend for the Nexus phone.

Last edited:

Schnedi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
if they want to make a Phablet i won't be changing my N5 for the N6.

i hope they make it with Motorola/Lenovo, Sony or HTC.

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX
Before Motorola was sold to Lenovo, I was hoping that they would be making the next Nexus device. The Moto X is a wonderful device and would love to have them make the next Nexus device.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
So it's getting closer to another Nexus phone release in three months. What do we expect or think we will be getting ?

- Google officially announced the Nexus line is not dead, and will continue on, even with the upcoming 'Silver' line coming in 2015, which is basically a new name for the GPE line, but with more support from carriers and advertising, and more players involved, etc...

- Most expect it to be named the Nexus 6

- 5.2" to 5.5" screen size has been rumored for the Nexus-Six

- Snapdragon 805 also expected to be in the Nexus-Six

- Asus has been rumored to be the manufacturer this time around. Rumors last year several reports came out that Google wanted LG to start making the Nexus Tablet and have Asus switch to the Nexus smartphone, to help keep costs down. But who knows ? I also heard Sony could be up for it. But LG is out, they even stated so.

- Same price range of $399 is pretty much set.

- October announcement, with a November release has been the trend for the Nexus phone.
Won't be Asus. Won't be Sony. And it won't be made by LG.
In fact, Sony is unlikely to ever get a contract from Google for anything.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Speculation is that the only nexus device is a tablet by htc and there wont be any more nexus phones

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Speculation is that the only nexus device is a tablet by htc and there wont be any more nexus phones

Uh nope;

The Nexus device program isn't going away
http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-device-program-isnt-going-away

Nexus program manager says Nexus devices “can’t ever go away
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/nexus-program-manager-says-nexus-devices-cant-ever-go-away/

Pop the champagne: the Nexus line is officially here to stay
http://phandroid.com/2014/06/26/google-android-nexus-is-here-to-stay/

There will be a sixth generation Nexus smartphone this Fall, 100% guaranteed. Just nobody knows which company will be on board with Google yet ?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Uh nope;

The Nexus device program isn't going away
http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-device-program-isnt-going-away

Nexus program manager says Nexus devices “can’t ever go away”
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/nexus-program-manager-says-nexus-devices-cant-ever-go-away/

Pop the champagne: the Nexus line is officially here to stay
http://phandroid.com/2014/06/26/google-android-nexus-is-here-to-stay/

There will be a sixth generation Nexus smartphone this Fall, 100% guaranteed. Just nobody knows which company will be on board with Google yet ?

My bet is HTC - which would be sweet given what HTC is putting out there hardware wise lately.

My question is....when the 6 is announced (or just before) will there be a discount on the 5? I never paid much attention to what happened with the 4 when the 5 came out. As much as I like the idea of an HTC Nexus 6, if it's 5.5", that'll be too big for my liking, and I'm looking for as cheap an option as I can get.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Won't be Asus. Won't be Sony. And it won't be made by LG.
In fact, Sony is unlikely to ever get a contract from Google for anything.

If not LG, not Sony, and you say not Asus, then who's left ? Samsung no ***** way in hell Google let's them make another Nexus device. HTC is already rumored to be making the Nexus 8 Tablet, so I doubt they'd let HTC also make the Nexus 6, if already doing the Tab.

And Motorola I would think not this year, with Google selling them off this year, and they would put all their eggs in the Moto 1X+ or whatever their new high end flagship will be called, no time for a Nexus phone this year.

I am still betting in this order;

-Asus
- Sony
- HTC

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
My bet is HTC - which would be sweet given what HTC is putting out there hardware wise lately.

My question is....when the 6 is announced (or just before) will there be a discount on the 5? I never paid much attention to what happened with the 4 when the 5 came out. As much as I like the idea of an HTC Nexus 6, if it's 5.5", that'll be too big for my liking, and I'm looking for as cheap an option as I can get.

Yes on the discount, typically Google cuts the price down big time a month before the next Nexus release, so like Sept / Oct you should see the Nexus 5 selling for like $249, and possibly $199. The Nexus 4 did get down to $199.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yes on the discount, typically Google cuts the price down big time a month before the next Nexus release, so like Sept / Oct you should see the Nexus 5 selling for like $249, and possibly $199. The Nexus 4 did get down to $199.

Boss - I'm picking one up for sure. Its gonna be an EXPENSIVE fall/winter lol....

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
A successor to the HTC Nexus One would be nice!

nexus-one-1269816018-806.jpg

I absolutely loved my Nexus One (beside the flaky power button that inevitably went wrong) and would love to see another HTC Nexus with the new M7/M8 design philosophy and possibly materials used in it.

Minus the UltraPixel camera of course... :p

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Boss - I'm picking one up for sure. Its gonna be an EXPENSIVE fall/winter lol....

That's not guaranteed for sure. I just know both the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 had reduced prices around the time they were 11 months old or so. Typically was a $50 - $75 savings off original price.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

What Tig said. Don't procrastinate either b.c when the price drops it will just disappear from the play store with no warning and will be gone forever!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
A successor to the HTC Nexus One would be nice!

I absolutely loved my Nexus One (beside the flaky power button that inevitably went wrong) and would love to see another HTC Nexus with the new M7/M8 design philosophy and possibly materials used in it.

Minus the UltraPixel camera of course... :p

Me too :D An HTC Nexus-Six would be AMAZING. I have the HTC One M8, running a GPE ROM, and I LOVE this phone, my fav phone ever. So imagine a next gen One M8, with newer hardware, but in the Nexus deign theme, wow :cool: I also owned the Nexus-One back in the day, i traded in my iPhone 3G for it :)

But rumors so far are on the next Nexus smartphone are so scarce right now, just no way telling which partner Google chose yet. I still think it's gonna be Asus ( to keep costs down and make the phone affordable ), and maybe possibly HTC or Sony.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Me too :D An HTC Nexus-Six would be AMAZING. I have the HTC One M8, running a GPE ROM, and I LOVE this phone , my fav phone ever. So imagine a next gen One M8, with newer hardware, but in the Nexus deign theme, wow :cool:

But rumors so far are on the next Nexus smartphone are so scarce right now, just no way telling which partner Google chose yet. I still think it's gonna be Asus, and maybe possibly HTC or Sony.

If it isn't larger than 5", I might consider it.....but will likely be outa my price range.

I'm a huge fan of HTC - best skinned Android and best Android hardware IMO.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Google Nexus 6 Will Not Be Made by Us: LG Executive
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/google-nexus-6-will-not-be-made-by-us-lg-executive-543802

Nexus 6 Release Date & Specs: Expect It October/November Time
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/devic...ase-date-specs-expect-it-octobernovember-time

Google Nexus 6 smartphone still en route despite Android Silver
http://www.itechpost.com/articles/1...one-still-en-route-despite-android-silver.htm

----------

LOL it will be Oppo :p

Rumors say a 5.5" screen, and the OnePlus One has that. Wouldn't that be crazy, if Oppo got the Nexus-Six contract, and was a better spec'd phone than the OnePlus for the same price.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I still think it's gonna be Asus ( to keep costs down and make the phone affordable ), and maybe possibly HTC or Sony.
Yes to those last two.

Asus may be a decent enough offering given the nexus 7 2013 model but Sony or HTC would be best case scenario. :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Google Nexus 6 Will Not Be Made by Us: LG Executive
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/google-nexus-6-will-not-be-made-by-us-lg-executive-543802

Nexus 6 Release Date & Specs: Expect It October/November Time
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/devic...ase-date-specs-expect-it-octobernovember-time

Google Nexus 6 smartphone still en route despite Android Silver
http://www.itechpost.com/articles/1...one-still-en-route-despite-android-silver.htm

----------

LOL it will be Oppo :p

Rumors say a 5.5" screen, and the OnePlus One has that. Wouldn't that be crazy, if Oppo got the Nexus-Six contract, and was a better spec'd phone than the OnePlus for the same price.

It would be the greatest phone that 3 people ever owned.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
What will the Nexus be missing this round? :T

The Nexus line offers a great bang for your buck, but I can't help but feel there's always something missing. They do seem to get better and more well rounded each time around, though, so we'll see. I still have my eyes set on the MX2 and iPhone 6 until then.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
What will the Nexus be missing this round? :T

The Nexus line offers a great bang for your buck, but I can't help but feel there's always something missing. They do seem to get better and more well rounded each time around, though, so we'll see. I still have my eyes set on the MX2 and iPhone 6 until then.

camera as always. That seems to be where they can save money the most. That and the antennas are usually slightly weaker.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I really hope it's not HTC, their hardware is awful. It looks cool but it will fall apart if you look at it wrong in my experience. Even the HTC One has a very high return rate due to faults according to someone I know who does smartphones for businesses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.