Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I got my 6+ on launch day, space grey, 64gb. I was absolutely in love with it, loved using it so much, spent flippin ages on it every night when I got home from work just loving how big the screen was.

Nearly all my friends/family ripped me saying it was way too big, wouldn't fit in pockets very well etc, but I kept trying to explain to them that yes it was a bit big when sitting in the pocket, but it's only a minor inconvenience and it all fades away to insignificance when you actually use the phone as it's so lovely to use.

10 weeks later and I'm gutted to say, it's all changed. As the novelty of the screen size has worn off, lugging it around has just become a pain. With my job I have some days where I spend the whole day at my desk, then it was no problem, it just sat on my desk. But recently I've had some days where I'm constantly up and down, going out to see people etc, and it just really really started to grate on me. Whatever people say, it IS too big really for most pockets, and every time I get in and out of my car with it in my pocket, I can feel it being pressured.

It just got annoying! Too annoying!

So this morning I popped into an Apple Store, had one hold of a regular 6, and knew it was the one. Came back, thought about it for an hour, and have just ordered one on the Apple website. Going to sell the 6+ on eBay (they seem to be getting good prices, and I'm so OCD about my phone that there isn't a single mark on it).

Gutted, I really am. But the novelty only lasts for 2 months. I'll have the phone for 2 years. Decision made. Hey ho

(Just needed to get that off my chest!!)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
To each his own. They don't make one size to fit everyone for a reason.

Glad you got something that fits yours needs and wants better, good luck with the IP6.

I will say, that I'm happy with the IP6+, yes it's big, especially in my pocket but then that's why I bought it. I wanted a larger screen and its been working wonderfully for me.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
To each his own. They don't make one size to fit everyone for a reason.

Glad you got something that fits yours needs and wants better, good luck with the IP6.

I will say, that I'm happy with the IP6+, yes it's big, especially in my pocket but then that's why I bought it. I wanted a larger screen and its been working wonderfully for me.

I completely agree, that's why I did it. At first I was so pleased, but it's just that after a while (i.e. when the novelty is gone) I realised that it was good for that, but actually it has to be practical as well. In my eyes, unless you have a lifestyle where you spend a lot of time at a desk or something (i.e. relatively stationary), it just isn't practical to keep moving around with it. That's no criticism though of anyone's lifestyle etc

----------

P.S. I don't know if you're allowed to sell things on these forums or not, but obviously I'm about to list the 6+ on eBay, but if anyone on here wants it, feel free to PM me. It's Space Grey, 64GB, locked to O2 in the UK (but doesn't come with a sim card).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I posted this somewhere else, but I think the iPhone 6 plus's biggest benefit is its size, and its biggest drawback.

As for the rules, on selling you cannot. We have a marketplace forum to users who have been here for 6 months and have 250 posts

Selling outside the Marketplace. All threads offering items for sale or trade or for free, or asking to buy or receive items must be posted in the Marketplace forum, which is accessible only to qualified members and subject to additional rules; see the Marketplace Rules for details. Members not eligible for the Marketplace forum may not start threads elsewhere for such purposes.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I posted this somewhere else, but I think the iPhone 6 plus's biggest benefit is its size, and its biggest drawback.

As for the rules, on selling you cannot. We have a marketplace forum to users who have been here for 6 months and have 250 posts

Ah OK, no worries. Thanks.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
----------

[/COLOR]P.S. I don't know if you're allowed to sell things on these forums or not, but obviously I'm about to list the 6+ on eBay, but if anyone on here wants it, feel free to PM me. It's Space Grey, 64GB, locked to O2 in the UK (but doesn't come with a sim card).

If it was unlocked, I'd have been interested trading it for my iPhone 6 64GB Unlocked + a bit extra.

But I have seen a few posts like yours, and also know 2 people IRL who didn't like their iPhone 6+ and have buyers remorse. Maybe that would happen to me? Maybe not.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Same thing happened to me when I had a Note 3. Love the device but once the honeymoon wore off it was more of a pain. I love gadgets and tech but my life style is way to active to be carrying devices that large around all the time.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I will give it two months tops that a switch back to the Plus happens.

I agree. I love the Plus. I was in an ATT store yesterday and couldn't believe how small the regular 6 felt. I also would not want to lose the features you get with the Plus like the landscape home screen and better camera.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
the regular iPhone 6 sticks out my pocket just slightly, can't imagine owning a 6 plus even though it is a better phone with OIS on the camera and awesome battery life.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I am still within the first month owning my 6+, and I can certainly understand what you are experiencing. But I am not too concerned as I have an iPhone 5 AWS as a backup phone. It would be handy if one day I am back to just needing something mainly for phone calls.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I also had a 6+ for a little over a month after launch. Loved the screen and battery life but small things like ease of use during photo taking just kept bugging me. Sold it and bought a 6. I have to admit that buying the 16GB version of the 6+ was a mistake and also had a major role in my decision. Now I have a 128GB device. Every time I visit an Apple Store I always pick up the plus and compare.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I dunno why but the plus just never felt "too big" and cumbersome ever. Went right for the plus on launch day preorder and never even checked the 6 out. It's been bliss ever since :)

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Same thing happened to me when I had a Note 3. Love the device but once the honeymoon wore off it was more of a pain. I love gadgets and tech but my life style is way to active to be carrying devices that large around all the time.

Yeah that's exactly my point. In the honeymoon period, you're blinded by the screen size etc. The annoyances don't matter because every time you use it you're dazzled by how nice it is to use, and the fact of the matter is, it is! It really is lovely to use for apps, browsing the internet etc. But then after a while, doing this becomes 'the norm' again, the newness of your phone stops being on your mind so much, and you just start to get a bit annoyed about how it gets 'in the way' a lot. I started making changes to habits to accommodate it, small ones like whether I kept it in my jeans or coat pocket, but just enough to annoy me.

One of the final straws was when I was out last week, something happened I quickly wanted to grab a photo of, but I had left the iP6+ in my coat pocket in my car. By the time I got it, the moment had passed. As pathetic as this sounds, it really wound me up - I have always been the kind of person that has my phone in my trouser pocket at ALL times, no matter what. This just made me realise that I was fitting things round the phone, not the phone fitting into my life. Hey ho!

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Well I'm the opposite of you. I first bought the six but was never happy with it. Just knowing there was another iPhone out there with a better screen, better camera, and much better battery life I had to have the 6 Plus. But I'm used to having big phone.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Well I'm the opposite of you. I first bought the six but was never happy with it. Just knowing there was another iPhone out there with a better screen, better camera, and much better battery life I had to have the 6 Plus. But I'm used to having big phone.

This was what ended up being the thing that made me go for the Plus. If I had have gotten the 6, I would have always wondered "what if I got the Plus and liked it".

Much easier to downgrade than upgrade if you ask me.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I haven't bought yet but I'm going to get the 6. I'd love the screen size of the plus but seeing how my phone is mostly for calls and text I really don't need the plus. I hardly use any data on my phone anyway.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I haven't bought yet but I'm going to get the 6. I'd love the screen size of the plus but seeing how my phone is mostly for calls and text I really don't need the plus. I hardly use any data on my phone anyway.

Well your making the right choice. But I use my phone a lot, from Facebook, to YouTube, and I do a lot of web browsing. Yes, I have a computer at home but by the time I turn it on and wait for it to boot up and then go to the Internet I could have searched what I have been looking for plus 20 more things. Plus as we get older I eyes don't get better they get worse and I choose to not help in their deterioration.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Well your making the right choice. But I use my phone a lot, from Facebook, to YouTube, and I do a lot of web browsing. Yes, I have a computer at home but by the time I turn it on and wait for it to boot up and then go to the Internet I could have searched what I have been looking for plus 20 more things. Plus as we get older I eyes don't get better they get worse and I choose to not help in their deterioration.
I totally understand about eyes getting older as I have that problem myself. Yeah the 6+ is a great device but in my usage it's probably overkill, that and I have an iPad Air already. I rarely use my laptop or PC anymore unless I'm gaming these days.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I was just on a plane wearing jeans. long flight.
not baggy jeans granted...but not skinny either.

i have a 6 and still felt the phone pressing against my leg the whole way through. Almost worried the phone will bend.

I can't imagine that trip with a 6+. Would have had to put my phone away and have a smaller ipod as a podcast machine.

To me, I feel like theres nothing I cant do on the 6 that I could do on the 6+.
granted you could say the same on a 4" phone, but yeah im all about convenience when it comes to phones.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I got my 6+ on launch day, space grey, 64gb. I was absolutely in love with it, loved using it so much, spent flippin ages on it every night when I got home from work just loving how big the screen was.

Nearly all my friends/family ripped me saying it was way too big, wouldn't fit in pockets very well etc, but I kept trying to explain to them that yes it was a bit big when sitting in the pocket, but it's only a minor inconvenience and it all fades away to insignificance when you actually use the phone as it's so lovely to use.

10 weeks later and I'm gutted to say, it's all changed. As the novelty of the screen size has worn off, lugging it around has just become a pain. With my job I have some days where I spend the whole day at my desk, then it was no problem, it just sat on my desk. But recently I've had some days where I'm constantly up and down, going out to see people etc, and it just really really started to grate on me. Whatever people say, it IS too big really for most pockets, and every time I get in and out of my car with it in my pocket, I can feel it being pressured.

It just got annoying! Too annoying!

So this morning I popped into an Apple Store, had one hold of a regular 6, and knew it was the one. Came back, thought about it for an hour, and have just ordered one on the Apple website. Going to sell the 6+ on eBay (they seem to be getting good prices, and I'm so OCD about my phone that there isn't a single mark on it).

Gutted, I really am. But the novelty only lasts for 2 months. I'll have the phone for 2 years. Decision made. Hey ho

(Just needed to get that off my chest!!)

I went trough the exact same thing. Returned the plus and got 6, even though i loved the plus but i am much happier with the 6 now. Also, i wish apple made plus a tad smaller. My buddy has the note 4 and ergonomically it is vastly superior to the plus while having a bigger screen.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I will give it two months tops that a switch back to the Plus happens.

Sure, there are people who went from 6+ to 6 then back to 6+, but they're in the minority. The above statement sounds as silly as the 6+ owners who predicted (during the preorder period) that all iPhone 6 owners will have buyers remorse and switch to the 6+.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
This was what ended up being the thing that made me go for the Plus. If I had have gotten the 6, I would have always wondered "what if I got the Plus and liked it".

Much easier to downgrade than upgrade if you ask me.

You mean downsize and upsize. I think the 6 is an upgrade from the 6+ for portability. It's not all about screen size and resolution to everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.