Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Disney might actually make this good.

Did you see The Lone Ranger? Although the story was pretty trite and formulaic, I still found the movie fun to watch, especially how they timed the big fight/chase scene to exactly fit the full William Tell Overture.

So yeah, whatever they do with SW will be well done, hackneyed and ultimately lacking originality. Probably suitable for one viewing, maybe two, but almost certainly not the endless repeated watchings of the first movie (I first saw it at the urging of a friend, after it had been out for a year and the theater was full, that will simply not happen with this one).

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Reported to be a letter J.J. Abrams sent out at the rap party.
To the Extraordinary Cast and Crew of Episode VII:

It is a true honor and absolute joy to come to set every day and work alongside each of you. Your professionalism, passion, and patience is more deeply appreciated than we could ever express. From the deserts of Abu Dhabi, to the Forest of Dean, to the stages of Pinewood, you have risen to every challenge and been as wonderfully kind as you are brilliantly talented. Our ambition here is large, of course, and it must be: we are here to make a film that entertains millions of people, of all ages, for generations. To create an experience people will cherish watching as much as we will cherish having made it, together. How lovely it would be if you had, in addition to your name on the screen, some actual, real, tangible proof that you were part of it! Here, then, is that proof. Wear it well, wear it healthily, wear it proudly. But, mostly, thank you.

With love,
J.J. Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, Bryan Burke
http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/11/3/7150431/star-wars-episode-7-farewell-letter-from-jj-abrams

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I think I saw a smoke monster.

Less excited than everyone on my social media. Maybe I'm Debbie Downer here, but I'm still not seeing this ending well. It's only a trailer. It's only a trailer...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I am going in with lower expectations but I suspect those might be shattered

Precisely because of the prequels and I am not a JJ Abrams fan, but I did like the rebooted Trek. So if the new cast can get me to care about their characters/journeys, I will be most happy indeed.

That said, John and Daisy look like they have the potential to pull off some really intense and/or fun moments so...

but Sith in snowy forest ---- well that just screamed Star Wars to me, so I hope whomever is playing that part runs with it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After seeing the teaser trailer, it looks like Star Wars will get the same Abrams-izing that Star Trek did. Saw the first one in 77; won't be seeing the new one.

I can't tell that by watching the trailer. Not to argue with you, but of the Star Trek movies of which I've seen all of them, before Abhrams they mostly suck. For the first Star Trek movie they had to establish the ST ecosystem. It was very entertaining, but I'd rather see new stories, than repeat stories like Khan although Cumberbatch did a pretty good, mesmerizing job.

For Star Wars after seeing what Lucas did with Episodes I-III, Abrams can do no worse, hopefully better, but I'm in wait and see mode, feeling no excitement, more fear wondering where this story will go, waiting to see Han Solo banging his cane, yelling "Sonny, were are my Fruitloops"! ;)

Edit: My god, I said this and what pops up?? Lol. I have great fear. :D

han-600x313.jpg

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I can't tell that by watching the trailer. Not to argue with you, but of the Star Trek movies of which I've seen all of them, before Abhrams they mostly suck. For the first Star Trek movie they had to establish the ST ecosystem. It was very entertaining, but I'd rather see new stories, than repeat stories like Khan although Cumberbatch did a pretty good, mesmerizing job.
A pretty good job for an otherwise horribly written character perhaps. (not Kahn himself, but that movie's portrayal of Khan)

I agree that the earlier movies were hit and miss. Star Trek II and VI are still the best. IV and First Contact are decent. III was a mess, but had some redeemable characteristics. The rest honestly aren't worth re-watching IMO. Now regarding the Abrams movies... eh, they're watchable. I just felt that the first one was bogged down with "teenage drama" BS, and while Into Darkness started out strong, it quickly devolved into a mindless action flick. (Star Trek is a series centered exploring morality and issues such as prejudice, NOT SHOOTING BIG GUNS!)

Now Star Wars is a much more action-oriented series than Star Trek. As such I'm not as critical with the choice of Abrams to direct it.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A pretty good job for an otherwise horribly written character perhaps. (not Kahn himself, but that movie's portrayal of Khan)

I agree that the earlier movies were hit and miss. Star Trek II and VI are still the best. IV and First Contact are decent. III was a mess, but had some redeemable characteristics. The rest honestly aren't worth re-watching IMO. Now regarding the Abrams movies... eh, they're watchable. I just felt that the first one was bogged down with "teenage drama" BS, and while Into Darkness started out strong, it quickly devolved into a mindless action flick. (Star Trek is a series centered exploring morality and issues such as prejudice, NOT SHOOTING BIG GUNS!)

Now Star Wars is a much more action-oriented series than Star Trek. As such I'm not as critical with the choice of Abrams to direct it.

Good points. :) What struck me is that the pre-Abrams ST movies felt like someone took a 1hr TV show and bloated it out to 2 hours. They'd start with a bang, then muddle along, and somewhere get to a climax. My favorite ST was Next Generation, and the writing was impressively tight, telling intriquing stories with a main and sub plot in 45 min, amazing! :)

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Didn't James Earl Jones character die in episode VI? If he appears as a ghost neither of the two actors were James Earl Jones!

So how is it a given?

Yoda died in one of the first coupla movies, but that didn't prevent him (and Alec Guiness, IIRC) from showing up in a hokey heartwarming ghost scene at the end of the third one. Unfortunately when they turned up it wasn't to smite those damn Ewoks.

As to the new movie, I'll hold out for Jar-Jar Binks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but that didn't prevent him (and Alec Guiness, IIRC) from showing up in a hokey heartwarming ghost scene

I'm hoping they make a clean break from from some of the characters like Yoda. Don't get me wrong, I liked in him in the movies, but I agree, he's dead in Episode 6, so lets have some new (and different) characters.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm hoping they make a clean break from from some of the characters like Yoda. Don't get me wrong, I liked in him in the movies, but I agree, he's dead in Episode 6, so lets have some new (and different) characters.
Yoda might get a stand alone movie at some point. More of a back story into Yoda.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The reboot of the universe, where vulcan was destroyed by a time traveling Romulan. I think he could have been true to the older series without such antics.

The second movie was ok, except it was a complete and utter ripoff of the wrath of khan. If you're going to reboot the entire series, why copy a storyline.

I think that was the point - I thought a completely plausible (within the universe of Star Trek of course) wiping of what happened in the past with a new future was great.

Also, I think reworking the Kahn story line was essentially just another way of showing how the events that changed Spock and Kirk's destinies affected other known stories as well.

I do look forward to new stories though. Thought both Star Trek movies were extremely well done and look forward to what he does with Star Wars. I'm unbelievably excited for this movie....maybe even more so than the 2015 Marvel and DC movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.