Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Foxconn recently deployed robots to help assemble iPhones and other Apple devices, but so far the program may not be as successful as first anticipated. According to the Chinese economic website Jiemian (via G for Games), the first-generation Foxconn robots are not precise enough to meet Apple's standards.

foxbot.jpg
In the first stage of deployment, the "Foxbots" have been tasked with menial jobs that include the assembly of larger components and tightening screws. Unfortunately, the bots are proving to have an accuracy to 0.05 mm, which is above the 0.02 mm tolerance required to assemble Apple's products.

Part of the issue involves the lineage of the robots, which were adapted from the car manufacturing industry. The larger, clunky robots are not designed with the flexibility necessary for the assembly of Apple's thin and complex devices. Foxconn reportedly is working on the second-generation Foxbot, but the technology still may need additional years of refinement before it can make a meaningful contribution to the assembly process.

Foxconn has been seeking ways to improve production to meet Apple's demand for iPhone and iPad units. The company routinely increases its hiring ahead of planned Apple product launches with the company reportedly hiring up to 100,000 new workers to help assemble the iPhone 6. The manufacturer also may be looking to enter the display market with a new display manufacturing plant in Taiwan.

Article Link: Foxconn Robots Proving Unsuitable for iPhone Assembly, Updated Versions in the Works

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Sure they are fine for most other tasks and then that frees up human workers for apple stuff.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
noone is worthy of assembling my iPhone :p .. i would love to visit foxconn. seems like an assembly behemoth

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Chinese (humans) are cheaper than robots — fact.

I said this a while ago. Sadly, a life in China isn't the same the world over. A 16 year old girl is always going to do this job cheaper in China.

If I were Emperor of the USA, I would say that if a company sells 50% of their goods in the USA, at least 50% of the goods must be manufactured in the USA. If not, 75% tariff on 100% of goods sold in the USA. Take America back!!!!!!!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Or

Robots pissed off at making iPhones for little to no time off to play video games. Protest by ****ing up so humans get the job.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Take into consideration all the "educated" people (robotics engineers, programmers, managers, etc.) that are involved in developing these robots, and they're paid far more than a 1000 assembly line workers combined. There is a surplus of humans in India and China.

Wages are far higher in the West, and along with the strict labor laws, robots work out to be more cost-effective here, but that's definitely not the case in the East.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
… but the technology still may need additional years of refinement before it can make a meaningful contribution to the assembly process.

No changes in the near future. If robots builds the iPhones, will they be moved to the US?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I said this a while ago. Sadly, a life in China isn't the same the world over. A 16 year old girl is always going to do this job cheaper in China.

If I were Emperor of the USA, I would say that if a company sells 50% of their goods in the USA, at least 50% of the goods must be manufactured in the USA. If not, 75% tariff on 100% of goods sold in the USA. Take America back!!!!!!!

Please tell me this comment was a joke.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
What are the chances Apple and Foxcon made imprecise robots and they just found out about it? They have loose joints that make them flop around? They weren't tested, just put on the line?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
But can it take a picture of itself using the iPhone to make its way into retail box?

FYI for members who haven't been here long enough and didn't get this inside joke: Someone found a selfie of an assembly line girl in his brand new iPhone.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
This could lead to a hilarious send up of manufacturing in a creative video. Large robots from automobile use seen squashing iPhones flat. Or some other means of disfigurement.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
What are the chances Apple and Foxcon made imprecise robots and they just found out about it? They have loose joints that make them flop around? They weren't tested, just put on the line?

Well, Apple themselves have nothing to do with it other than putting heavy demand on Foxconn for the product assembly. How the supplier chooses to work under that load doesn't matter to Apple as long as they meet standards (product and ethical).

But also, no one said these bots were actually placed on the line and ran and failed. More likely, they've been working on this "in the back" for awhile now, and haven't met a release date that was expected for placing them on the line, and now we have a reason for the deadline push back.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Wow....way to stay on topic.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008

No thanks. I'd rather my stuff be put together by competent Chinese people than Americans that don't care to do the work correctly.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Cant meet Apples Standards???

Cant meet Apples Standards???

They better sell all of their stock and file bankruptcy so they can claim it was all Apples fault for being such a harsh taskmaster.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014

I'd vote for you for Emperor! I wouldn't mind if these multinational large corporations are subject to this. Then again, they would always find some loop hole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.