Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Letterdief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Hello all,

Everytime my macbook pro starts, the system preferences open.
I don't want that. It started yesterday, and I don't know how it did.
Can anyone help me? I find this annoying!

Schermafbeelding%202014-06-02%20om%2013.55.52.png

Schermafbeelding%202014-06-02%20om%2014.00.44.png

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Check your login items too. System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Your account --> Login Items

If it's in there, click on it and remove it.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Check your login items too. System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Your account --> Login Items

If it's in there, click on it and remove it.

The screen shot (I believe) shows that it's NOT going to open on login, assuming my translation is correct! I believe that also that the dock correlated with the System Prefs login pane.

If it is unchecked in the System Prefs, it is likely that the plist is corrupt that remembers what to open on 'login' to the systems, I would recommend deleting that from your "~/Library/Preferences/" folder.

Letterdief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
The screen shot (I believe) shows that it's NOT going to open on login, assuming my translation is correct! I believe that also that the dock correlated with the System Prefs login pane.

Yes, you are correct. All my preferences indicate that it should NOT open on login. I will try your solution and let you know if the problem is solved or not.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yes, you are correct. All my preferences indicate that it should NOT open on login. I will try your solution and let you know if the problem is solved or not.

Sure, BTW - I believe the file is com.apple.loginwindow.plist (and any lock files), from memory.. It's a bit vague right now. Goodluck!

Letterdief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
I trash it, but I can't empty the trash because it's still in use. Solution?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Not this one.

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginitems.plist

Trash it, then reboot.

Sorry yes I should have been more precise. Thanks

I trash it, but I can't empty the trash because it's still in use. Solution?

It'll be fine in the trash, it won't know where to look on login and hopefully recreate the file, after which you can delete. Can you try a reboot now?

Letterdief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
So for anyone who has this problem in the future:

1) find ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginitems.plist
2) Trash file
3) Restart

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks everyone :D

audiking

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Chicago
Doesn't work for me

I tried all that you suggested and it does not work for me. System Preferences still appears when I boot up my MacBook Pro running Yosemite. It started a few days BEFORE I upgraded from 10.6.8 to Yosemite (10.10.1).

Help!

audiking

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Chicago
I figured it out.

Since System Preferences opened on startup with the BackBlaze pane showing, that told me there was something with that setting. So, I deleted BackBlaze from the Login Preferences and now two things are wonderful:

1. System Preferences does not open anymore at startup
2. BackBlaze still shows up in my menu bar.

The Apple fairies have descended!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.