Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I'm buying one this afternoon, for Sprint. Due to walmart/Sams' sale, this is the dilemma I'm faced with. I can get both in Space Grey like I want. It doesn't seem like Sams/Walmart even has, let alone is discounting, the 64GB plus.

Normally I was all for the 64GB. On my HTC One, I was using 7.5GB in apps, about a gig of music, a gig of various downloads and 3.5gbs of camera photos/videos. I could cut out the gig of music and could frequently cloud/PC backup my photos. In other words - I could probably manage with 16GB although it would be troublesome, while 64GB would be an excess in which I'd never have to worry.

Which would you take in this scenario?

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Spend as little money as possible. The 64 was meant to make you spend more.

Because everyone knows that the bulk of the items on an iPhone is the music. Which you don't actually need to have stored on your device.

The rest of those 64 is just old apps sitting on the phone that the person never actually uses.

Then 16 is actually good for videos and other things but it's not like you have to have tons and tons of those on there either.

It's about saving money

I have an 8 gig right now and guess what? I have my whole music collection, managed easier. That's 20,000 songs. 40 apps. And 50 photos. HD videos . On a 8 gig. And I'm not even using all of the apps some are just there temporarily.

As an aside, 32 was perfect. To keep the 16 and not the 32 was stupid.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Spend as little money as possible. The 64 was meant to make you spend more.

Because everyone knows that the bulk of the items on an iPhone is the music. Which you don't actually need to have stored on your device.

The rest of those 64 is just old apps sitting on the phone that the person never actually uses.

Then 16 is actually good for videos and other things but it's not like you have to have tons and tons of those on there either.

It's about saving money

I have an 8 gig right now and guess what? I have my whole music collection, managed easier. That's 20,000 songs. 40 apps. And 50 photos. HD videos . On a 8 gig. And I'm not even using all of the apps some are just there temporarily.

As an aside, 32 was perfect. To keep the 16 and not the 32 was stupid.

Thanks for the response. 32GB was perfect. What I like about HTC is that you get the 32GB for $199.

Again, the price differential is really making this a much harder choice. I'm all for spending as little money as possible. All my music is on my Play Music account/use soundcloud, so I'd be good there. I'd take way more photos and videos on my phone though now that the camera isn't crap like my One's was. I need to examine how much of my app usage was stuff I actually use. But apps are getting bigger and bigger. Does a 16GB have about 13GB of storage out of the box?

I have 50GB on Box, 5GB or so on Drive and 75GB on dropbox. How much cloud storage does Apple give you on iCloud for free?

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
I've never used iCloud. But I think it's what? 5?

Yeah it's 5GB. That's why nobody uses iCloud. They're not even serious about making it an actual option for people.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I'm buying one this afternoon, for Sprint. Due to walmart/Sams' sale, this is the dilemma I'm faced with. I can get both in Space Grey like I want. It doesn't seem like Sams/Walmart even has, let alone is discounting, the 64GB plus.

Normally I was all for the 64GB. On my HTC One, I was using 7.5GB in apps, about a gig of music, a gig of various downloads and 3.5gbs of camera photos/videos. I could cut out the gig of music and could frequently cloud/PC backup my photos. In other words - I could probably manage with 16GB although it would be troublesome, while 64GB would be an excess in which I'd never have to worry.

Which would you take in this scenario?

64 is the way to go. You would be amazed at how fast the 16 fills up plus resale on the 64 will be much better.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
64 is the way to go. You would be amazed at how fast the 16 fills up plus resale on the 64 will be much better.

Gotcha. Like I said, it comes down to having to manage (but still probably get by) vs having that convenience factor. This phone would likely (although not for sure) not be resold for 3 years, as after 1-2 years I'd give it to a less tech-savvy family member and get a new one.

Also, Hey man, I remember you from the AC forums. Galaxy S4 days... LOL. You were getting some killer battery life on that thing with battery guru haha.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
You don't really have to sell an iPhone. I mean, businesses have that covered really. A person is more likely to get a used iPhone from an establishment than buy it off someone. And a persons more likely to sell it to an establishment. The barter days are kind of over

It's just when I noticed that once I had upgraded to the 32 it was a race to download so many apps that I wasnt going to use. It's unnecessary

16 black is the perfect corporate size and color

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
$64GB is the best bang for your buck in your situation...

I agree, and the 64GB replacing the 32GB, a great deal

You think so, even with the likely $200 price difference after tax? Not ever having to worry about storage for 2 years of ownership is a nice benefit...

I think it's worth it. I had a 16GB iPhone once because I have 15GB OneDrive (now 30GB), Dropbox, and iTunes Match. It was a hassle to me IMO always syncing, movie pictures all the time, deleting music to add music, and almost not having enought to update the OS. The 32GB was great, but now your getting a 64GB for the price of the 32GB.

Personally I wouls get the 64GB.

pukrnukr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Roc
You think so, even with the likely $200 price difference after tax? Not ever having to worry about storage for 2 years of ownership is a nice benefit...

Totally agree. If you plan on keeping it for 2-3 years and don't want to worry about how much space you have left on your phone every few weeks, get the 64GB. Plus the phones run a lot smoother when they're not totally full. A 16GB phone really only has 12.5-14GB of actual useable space since the OS and stock apps take up space. You should search online and see if anywhere is discounting the 64GB and have walmart or sam's price match if you find a lower price.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Totally agree. If you plan on keeping it for 2-3 years and don't want to worry about how much space you have left on your phone every few weeks, get the 64GB. Plus the phones run a lot smoother when they're not totally full. A 16GB phone really only has 12.5-14GB of actual useable space since the OS and stock apps take up space. You should search online and see if anywhere is discounting the 64GB and have walmart or sam's price match if you find a lower price.

The problem is walmart and Sams dont even carry the 64GB plus... The two in the OP are my only two options

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I've always bought the 16gb variant of every iPhone because I didn't think I needed extra storage and didn't want to fork out the extra money.

This is my first year getting the 64gb with my 6 Plus and the extra space is a very welcome change. I can take pictures and videos without ever having to worry about managing space.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Oh yeah and the fact that the 64 is so out of stock. I'll get a 16 if it means I can get one now. I'll just upgrade to the 6s.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
It is hard to answer these types of questions since it is unclear whether you are just looking to be cost efficient, or whether you really need that $174 dollars for something important, like food or rent.

It is more likely you will regret not having enough space rather than regret having a bit too much.

Resale value will be higher, and your ability to even sell it will be greater.

You probably will use the phone more if you aren't constrained (put another couple videos on, buy the complete Nickelback collection, etc), so the utility of the phone is higher.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
If it had been a 32 it would've been a no brainer.

Everyone thinks the 64 was a godsend. But here's how I think about it: I barely used up my 32. It wasn't full. Does Apple suddenly think I'm using my phone more? Yes it's the same price but, that means that the 32 should've been cheaper.

Here's the other thing: No one was buying a 64 before this so yes it's a little bit too much space for me. Some people, I know, definitely buy more movies on iTunes.

Me? I buy a season on iTunes. Watch the whole thing then delete it. I don't just keep them sitting there.

I can get by with 16. The only reason why is because I do not store music on my phone.

If you do use iTunes to store music, that means you also need a computer. Which I don't.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
If it had been a 32 it would've been a no brainer.

Everyone thinks the 64 was a godsend. But here's how I think about it: I barely used up my 32. It wasn't full. Does Apple suddenly think I'm using my phone more? Yes it's the same price but, that means that the 32 should've been cheaper.

Here's the other thing: No one was buying a 64 before this so yes it's a little bit too much space for me. Some people, I know, definitely buy more movies on iTunes.

Me? I buy a season on iTunes. Watch the whole thing then delete it. I don't just keep them sitting there.

I can get by with 16. The only reason why is because I do not store music on my phone.

If you do use iTunes to store music, that means you also need a computer. Which I don't.
The reason it's a no brainier because the 64GB is now the same price as a 32GB. The reason no one was buying the 64GB as much because there was another option, the 32GB. I always got the 32GB except my 5s (16GB) and now I'm getting a 64GB for the same price as I was getting the 32GB before. Yes, a 32GB was great for me, but if I'm spending the same money, might as well get a 64GB and I love it. When I go on trips I don't have to worry about how many pics I take or videos, load up more of my music as well.

If you don't store music on you phone, great. There are people who do and the 64GB is great for that. I no long have to shrink the music files too now with my 64GB like I did with my 32GB.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
It's just this thing of using more and more space.

It's nice to not have to worry about how many pictures & videos you're taking but it's not like you have to with the 16 either.

It's just an opportunity to add more stuff on the phone and let it sit. i always had to reevaluate why I never used all the apps (major games) that were on my phone.

That's just me

If you think about it 225 is a steal for an iPhone 6. That's the latest phone at its cheapest price point. Almost $200.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's just this thing of using more and more space.

It's nice to not have to worry about how many pictures & videos you're taking but it's not like you have to with the 16 either.

I certainly have to worry. A 90 second video takes up about 250mb. For those who take videos even semi frequently, that's going to fill up fast.

I have zero songs and zero videos (outside the ones I take) on my phone, except when in fkying I'll load some videos or shows over using the infuse app).

Obviously I can sit and micro manage. And I do manage my photos and videos from time to time. It's just not something I want to be forced to do daily or weekly.

Everyone is different. I try not to project my own usage patterns onto the way everyone else is using. I've seen just as many posts about regretting buying the 16gb as I've seen posts about how the 64 or 128 (usually more of the latter) was overkill. It's incredibly difficult to recommend a size but for anyone frequently taking pictures or video I could never recommend a 16gb. My mom filled her 5s in about 8 months and she literally has nothing but pics and video (a couple news apps and Skype too).

I do highly recommend Flickr as a photo backup option though. 1tb free space and it's seamless. Just install the app, tell it when to upload (mine set to wifi) and it does it in the background. For those who don't mind micromanaging it's the easiest way to clean soace on your phone without spending extra money on a service like icloud.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
The 64 gb was just too much money for me. I'm spending less this year than I was last year, but I can take pics and video. And it uploads to Dropbox instantly. I don't keep it stored on my phone.

Any amount would fill up if you just kept taking more and more and never deleting anything.

16 isn't as bad as everyone says. Apple thinks we can get by.

I remember first jumping from 16 to 32 and saying i'd love one but it's a little expensive and then once I got on it I just kept going up and up spending more and more

I have unlimited data now, I'm kn an 8 gb now. If I can survive on 8gb, I can survive on 16. Not trying to go crazy with the apps I never use and it's plenty of space for photos.

I don't take full photo albums just a little at a time.

Last edited:

Thekarens

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
6 Plus: 16GB for $225 or 64GB for $399?

There's no way I'd ever get a 16gb ever again. I only use cloud music and I don't take that many pics and I still end up with too little space. More and more apps are taking up space and the OS takes up some of that 16gb.

My partner doesn't use many apps, but she does take a lot of pics and a few videos. She doesn't always have access to the net so wants them on her phone. She also tends to run out of space on her 16gb S5.

Even the people I know that aren't big phone users I hear complaining that they can't update because they don't have enough space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.