Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
And people think that they could do without the 32. It's a trick and the trick is working. Not to say that there's anything wrong with the 64.

Here I am on an 8gb with 2 games that I haven't played in weeks. Music that I meant to delete off the phone and other things.

Updates always seem to require about half of the space that's on the device for some odd reason but Apples still selling the 16 that means people are still using the 16

Thekarens

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
Yep, they buy the 16 because it's cheaper and then they complain because they don't have enough space, and yet they buy the 16 again because it's still cheaper.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
I'm just saying that because I can make it work. I just want a cheap iPhone, 16 is doable.

The only reason I even upgraded to 32 in the first place was because I wanted to put multiple large games on the device just to let them sit. And that was when I had a FULL iTunes music library.

The problem is that we've become app hoarders. They say "oh, well apps are becoming larger," but I've seen journalists talk about how they have 10 pages of apps. What are you doing with all those apps.

64 is just a step down from 128.

People are forgetting that 16 really isn't that little.

People think twice before downloading 8gb game to computers, downloading gigabytes of movies. Are they really doing that on these phones?

If you run out of space that's because you have 20 GB of music on your phone. That's a waste.

Last edited:

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
It's just this thing of using more and more space.

It's nice to not have to worry about how many pictures & videos you're taking but it's not like you have to with the 16 either.

It's just an opportunity to add more stuff on the phone and let it sit. i always had to reevaluate why I never used all the apps (major games) that were on my phone.

That's just me

If you think about it 225 is a steal for an iPhone 6. That's the latest phone at its cheapest price point. Almost $200.

It seems to me you are trying to convince yourself that 16 is enough. You can't generalize that taking videos and pics isn't going to be a problem with a 16 gig. I know quite a few people who bought the 16 gig 5s and regretted it 2 months later . They all upgraded to the 64 gig this time around. Apps and games seem to be getting a lot larger and require more space as well. You don't have to be a movie or video person or a photography student to use that space quick. I was given a 16 gig IPad as a gift, I don't store photos on it at all, no music, and I'm constantly having to delete stuff on it. If you would've gotten the 32 gig, why wouldn't you spend the same money for the 64 gig? I think the reason you did not go with the 64 is because you couldn't find one and you wanted the phone now. To each their own, but you just seem to be trying to convince yourself your happy with the 16 gig.

Thekarens

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
Saying it's because you've got 20gb of music on your phone is the reason is BS. I've used 25gb and I have no music or pics on my phone.

Plus there's nothing wrong if someone wants 20gb of music on their phone. Where I work there's no access to WiFi or to cell carriers, so if I wanted to listen to music (which I don't) it would have to be downloaded to the phone.

And before you ask, no I don't have any movies or 8gb games downloaded in my phone.

With the way phones are now and the size of apps 16gb just doesn't cut it. It is tiny.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
I'm getting by with an 8gb right now. how about that? I never thought I would be able to go that low in this day and age.

It's just the realization that the only thing that was causing me to not have any space was the music storage which was about half, the games (which I never played) which was another half and then the videos.

Yeah you're getting the 64 for the same price as the 32 but it's a new year

And I'm going back to how it once was. where I would never spend egregiously on an iPhone.

What may be hook line and sinker for some is a realization for me once they dangled 64gb in front of me I realized, hey. Why am I starting to use more and more space??

No one used to buy 64's. Nobody. Now they have everyone on them.

And the myth that apps are getting bigger?

They're not getting that much bigger.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Don't listen to him. Get the 16. Don't spend too much money. Every dollar saved makes you smarter.

You know if you already have an iPhone which ones you'll carry over.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I'm buying one this afternoon, for Sprint. Due to walmart/Sams' sale, this is the dilemma I'm faced with. I can get both in Space Grey like I want. It doesn't seem like Sams/Walmart even has, let alone is discounting, the 64GB plus.

Normally I was all for the 64GB. On my HTC One, I was using 7.5GB in apps, about a gig of music, a gig of various downloads and 3.5gbs of camera photos/videos. I could cut out the gig of music and could frequently cloud/PC backup my photos. In other words - I could probably manage with 16GB although it would be troublesome, while 64GB would be an excess in which I'd never have to worry.

Which would you take in this scenario?

You answered your own question. You're already thinking about how you are going to manage 16GB, therefore 64GB is your answer.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Definitely 64 GB. 16 GB IMO is only doable if you have a phone with expandable memory (which an iPhone doesn't have). And to those who say "just don't store pictures or music on your phone, put them all on iCloud" that would be doable since iCloud is so reliable. Oh wait ...

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Obviously you can't go wrong buying a 64 BUT!

We're trying to save money.

And I don't want to have her believe what we don't want to believe–

That you have no other option but 64.

You're not backed into a wall. 16 is adequate.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
So the things that are some of the perks on iPhone such as music, games and videos... You delete to save space, why bother with a smartphone at all? The things a lot of people buy smartphones for are to use them, not cripple them to have space ... Lol

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
I wouldn't spend a penny more. And it makes life easier if you DONT store your music on your device. I lost my entire library to iTunes because I did not have cloud storage.

I've learned my lesson.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There's no way I'd ever get a 16gb ever again. I only use cloud music and I don't take that many pics and I still end up with too little space. More and more apps are taking up space and the OS takes up some of that 16gb.

My partner doesn't use many apps, but she does take a lot of pics and a few videos. She doesn't always have access to the net so wants them on her phone. She also tends to run out of space on her 16gb S5.

Even the people I know that aren't big phone users I hear complaining that they can't update because they don't have enough space.

Same here, I haven’t purchased 16GB devices the last couple of upgrades.

In fact, I recently even upgraded an iPad (4th gen to Mini 2) because 32GB was barely adequate (went to 64GB). I’m actually pretty stoked that 64GB is the same price as 32GB, that first 16GB increment was painful (now for the same price increment you quadruple the storage!)

We’re upgrading to 6es pretty soon, and while I haven’t quite determined if I’m going 6 or 6+ (that’s for another thread :) ), I’m 100% sure they’ll both be 64GB. :cool:

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
It's the people who are not power users that never delete anything. That's why they're the ones upgrading. They just let it sit.

This is also coming from a person who does not buy apps unless they're really really good.

The iPhone does what it's supposed to. It doesn't take gigs to do work on the Internet. Stream 100,000 songs. Or use Siri.

And you can still do photos and videos to the maximum and keep tons of podcasts loaded on there.

with a 64 you could have movies and shows all loaded up which is great because if you're traveling you might want to have a couple movies to choose from. That's what people are doing with their phones and the 64 would be perfect for that.

But that's a luxury.

Streaming is great for that reason. I'm definitely a streamer and a cloud user.

Last edited:

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hey guys! After a lot of thinking, I made my decision.

-Sent from my 64GB Space Grey 6 Plus

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
If you weren't trying to save money then why ask the question. $399, that's $400 plus tax. Smh

$225 was the better deal.

-Sent for my 16GB Space Gray iPhone 6

Last edited:

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
It's not her fault. Apple backed her into a wall. She had no choice. The 64 is the one everyone is buying.

32 was the perfect size and they got rid of it.

Me? I knew I can handle 16. I thought about what I was doing with my 32.

I was keeping music videos and various other things on the device that didn't need to be there.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It's not her fault. Apple backed her into a wall. She had no choice. The 64 is the one everyone is buying.

I was keeping music videos and various other things on the device that didn't need to be there.

Yeah.. They got rid of the 32GB and gave everyone an extra 32GB at the same price point..

16GB is nothing, more like 12GB after formatting and iOS. When you try to 'save' money by getting a 16GB you are crippling the experience. To have to worry if you have enough space to record a video, to take a bunch of pictures while on vacation or even install an iOS OTA update, its well worth to spend the extra money for peace of mind.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
These threads always have two extremes. People who can get away with only 16gb and people who truly need the larger capacity. Only you can answer this question for yourself.

I have a 16gb iphone (12.1 usable space) and still have 8.6gb available with all of the apps I use. Photos I move to the cloud once a week and then delete them from my device and for music I use amazon.

The $200 I save on a smaller capacity iphone/ipad go towards a larger capacity mac.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

That's good for u.

Meanwhile she'll enjoy her 64 gb iPhone. There's a reason why everyone is buying it. Apple didn't back anyone into a wall. You have a choice to buy or not. That's it.

It's not just about saving money. It's getting value. If it's all about saving money then don't buy a phone at all.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
If you don't see value in any other phone than the 64, than Apple did back them into a wall.

hardly ANYONE is buying the 128's or the 16's.

What happened to the 32? It's not like owning the 6 is going to automatically make you use more space on the phone. All these phones do the same thing.

It's an opportunity to spend less. I'm just saying 16 is perfectly conservative.

I'm just taking what I can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.