Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Using simple logic here, shouldnt it be possible to take Sapphire and apply the same chemical reinforcement processes Gorilla Glass uses to in turn produce a superior Sapphire glass than Gorilla Glass?

They are testing plain sapphire against reinforced glass in the video which is obviously a poor comparision.

WylyQuimby

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Using simple logic here, shouldnt it be possible to take Sapphire and apply the same chemical reinforcement processes Gorilla Glass uses to in turn produce a superior Sapphire glass than Gorilla Glass?

They are testing plain sapphire against reinforced glass in the video which is obviously a poor comparision.
This is not likely possible as they are completely different materials. In brief, amorphous silicon oxide versus crystalline aluminum oxide.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This reminds me more of an educational videos than anything... Although i'm sure users much waste a tom of money each year with companies reporting busted iPhones as is.....

Personally I reckon companies actually gave in and did Gorilla glass to begin with because they got so cheesed off with the mount of phone being in for replier because of shattered glass.

How the hell did u lot even survive without Gorilla glass ?? I didn't always have a smart-phone :)

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
This is not likely possible as they are completely different materials. In brief, amorphous silicon oxide versus crystalline aluminum oxide.

I see. I clearly don't know the first thing about the differences but shouldn't there be a way to further strengthen sapphire even if using different processes? it seems rather unlikely that we can't manipulate this particular material. not having the technology now is one thing but physically not possible seems rather implausible.

maybe there's a technological patent in the works here. ;) could be millions!

I know it'll probably require an essay to explain it in depth so no worries. maybe I'll have the interest to read about it someday.

also, i don't think diamond is more brittle than sapphire since its even harder, is it?

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
It's funny,I have been carrying my iPhone 6 around is my pocket since it came out and it doesn't have any scratches on the screen. It has even fallen between the car seat in the center console a couple times, and you know how hard that is the fish out.I must be a very lucky guy:)

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
It puzzles me that a company as rich and successful as Apple doesn't put the latest and greatest hardware in their devices, how can Samsung note 4 and Galaxy alpha have gorilla glass 4 while the new iPhones don't......:confused:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I don't think you can call anything "the best"if other company's have better. Maybe the best what they can do perhaps..

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
It puzzles me that a company as rich and successful as Apple doesn't put the latest and greatest hardware in their devices, how can Samsung note 4 and Galaxy alpha have gorilla glass 4 while the new iPhones don't......:confused:

Samsung was prolly working close with corning because apple was dealing with gt making sapphire

firthy374

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
What piece of information is out there that's better than speculation or what "some guy on the Internet" said.

That "guy on the Internet" would be Corning Glass CEO Wendell Weeks himself, as he is quoted in the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs.

“We don’t have the capacity,” Weeks replied. “None of our plants make the glass now.” “Don’t be afraid,” Jobs replied. This stunned Weeks, who was good-humored and confident but not used to Jobs’s reality distortion field. He tried to explain that a false sense of confidence would not overcome engineering challenges, but that was a premise that Jobs had repeatedly shown he didn’t accept. He stared at Weeks unblinking. “Yes, you can do it,” he said. “Get your mind around it. You can do it.”

Weeks retold this story, he shook his head in astonishment. “We did it in under six months,” he said. “We produced a glass that had never been made.” Corning’s facility in Harrisburg, Kentucky, which had been making LCD displays, was converted almost overnight to make gorilla glass full-time. “We put our best scientists and engineers on it, and we just made it work.” In his airy office, Weeks has just one framed memento on display. It’s a message Jobs sent the day the iPhone came out: “We couldn’t have done it without you.”

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Why does the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus scratch much easier than the previous models?

Does the screen itself scratch more easily or is it because the screen wraps around the side a bit? Protusion is the name of the game here (camera, screen). Previous iPhones had flushed screens.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Samsung was prolly working close with corning because apple was dealing with gt making sapphire

Samsung and Corning have worked very closely together on glass for things such as LCDs.

There's even a company called Samsung Corning Precision Materials.

I see. I clearly don't know the first thing about the differences but shouldn't there be a way to further strengthen sapphire even if using different processes?

I think Apple's focus has been on adding various coatings and layers to help strengthen sapphire.

also, i don't think diamond is more brittle than sapphire since its even harder, is it?

"Harder" in this case means how well it withstands scratching from another material. Sapphire and diamond are very resistant, as no common materials are harder than they are.

However, when it comes to withstanding stress, sapphire and diamond are considered brittle, because they break instead of bend. You can easily smash a diamond into dust with a hammer, for instance. Or crack a diamond on a ring by hitting it against something.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
That doesn't answer the question of why people are saying it. If Apple isn't admitting it, and Corning is prohibited from advertising it then why are so many people saying it? i.e. What piece of information is out there that's better than speculation or what "some guy on the Internet" said. Has anyone actually found the iPhone's glass to be identical (nearly?) to Gorilla Glass?

A quick Google search gives you plenty of info to back these. Here's one for free:
Apple acknowledges use of Corning Gorilla Glass on iPhone, means Gorilla Glass 2 likely for iPhone 5

mrjr101

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I just got my iPhone 6 last week. Looking at your comments I'm starting to get worried about it. Do you guys have any screen protectors? How easily does it scratch?
Well I'll tell you what, I didn't have a screen protector for the 5S and it was pretty much flawless for about 5 months, which is not bad. Now, when i got my 6, it had a scratch in the first week and then 3 more a week after. They are small and thin, but they are noticeable when the light hits it. I made a mistake of not getting a screen protector, I suggest you get one ASAP if it worries you. Im not really sure why, but like i said in my previous comment, I take care of my phone really well and I am mindful to protect the screen at all times. I dont mix it with metal or dirt, it goes from my hand to my empty pocket.

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
The booming thumping rattle makes the video unwatchable without mute, but this bearded ape has things to say to understand what is going on.

I'm working on it, but my lipreading is hampered by his beard, so I still have no clue to what he's on about.

Oh, If you can stand the music: the bass registers 4 on the richter-scale so you might wait until daytime. Your neighbours kids will appreciate your consideration.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
I'm not that excited about Gorilla Glass. My iPhone 6 scratches like hell, I swear more than any other device I've had in the last 3-4 years. And all I do is slide it into and out of my pocket, which contains NOTHING else (except for, apparently, abrasive microscopic granules that somehow make it in there...).

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
It's all in the oleophobic coating. It doesn't matter if Apple uses glass so scratch-resistant that nothing in the universe can leave even a hairline scratch. The oleophobic coating will always get scratched, and I guess the coating is a bit less scratch-resistant on the 6 and 6 Plus.

I've had hairline scratches on the coating with other iPhones. My iPhone 6 has scratches on the actual glass. On previous iPhones, I could only see the scratches in sunlight. On this iPhone I can see and feel the tiny scratches. Something about the iPhone 6 has made it more scratch prone than any other iPhone since the iPhone 3GS(my iPhone 2g scratched the same way as the 6).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Does it though?

Why does the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus scratch much easier than the previous models?

iPhone 4S since launch - no scratches. iPhone 6 since launch - hairline scratches on the display. I take care of them, never dropped them, don't use a case, never put them facedown... but there you go.

Does the iPhone 6 use a cheaper type of glass than the 4S?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But :apple: sapphire glass will be so much better! GorillaGlass is history already..
You do realize Apple's main (only?) supplied to Sapphire glass went into bankruptcy in part thanks to apple's business arrangement. I think Gorilla Glass has a lot going for it, including providing high yields, something that foundries for sapphire glass has been unable to do.

Orka

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2012
Moscow, Russia
It's all in the oleophobic coating. It doesn't matter if Apple uses glass so scratch-resistant that nothing in the universe can leave even a hairline scratch. The oleophobic coating will always get scratched, and I guess the coating is a bit less scratch-resistant on the 6 and 6 Plus.

They all have opeophobic coating yet its iphone 6 which is more scratch prone, so no, it's not just oleophobic thing.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
You do realize Apple's main (only?) supplied to Sapphire glass went into bankruptcy in part thanks to apple's business arrangement. I think Gorilla Glass has a lot going for it, including providing high yields, something that foundries for sapphire glass has been unable to do.

If you fail, try again. Apple was all to happy to ship more than half the worlds Sapphire production to communist china. This make me think that Apple knew that GT could not produce that kind of glass and had no prior experience. The set up, used to move billions to china.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.