Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Eh!? I'm sorry to ask but what the hell are you smoking? The Note 4 will get 5.0 long before April.
The S5 is already recieving 5.0 in Korea and Poland within weeks of leaked videos of it running Lollipop, the Note 4 won't be far behind as there are now videos of it running 5.0 to.

Perhaps you aren't in the US? There is almost zero hope of Verizon Note 4 getting an update before S6, and other carriers are also likely to delay them.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Perhaps you aren't in the US? There is almost zero hope of Verizon Note 4 getting an update before S6, and other carriers are also likely to delay them.

Verizon is especially bad. They made a complete joke of the Galaxy Nexus with their meddling into android updates.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I had an update (AT&T) the other day that seems to have improved the recents delay. Still not instantaneous but not like it was before.

Mike

I noticed as soon as I fired up my Note 4 on Friday a very large AT&T update was applied.

Thus far responsiveness has been top notch. No complaints at all. No real lag to speak of either.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
New Note 4 user. I have been a vocal critic of TouchWiz, and still don't like it, but what I've realized is that owning a phablet and really using TW features like S-pen, multi-window etc really changes things.

If you add in the replaceable batteries, sd card unto 128GB, builtin apps like Hancom Office etc, then it changes from being a regular phone to a much more powerful productivity device. And it becomes much easier to overlook the lag and relative ugliness of TouchWiz.

The call quality is great, speaker is not bad (after all the bad things I read about it), screen is best in class and really amazing, and camera is very nice (though haven't had much time to test it).

If I had root (Verizon) then 90% of this could be very easily fixed with a custom rom or even with root + Xposed.

I agree. People don’t realize that the same Touchwiz that impacts performance also gives us the many features that make the Note 4 worth owning over phones like the Nexus 6 or iPhone 6 plus. Those later phones are just big versions of their smaller counterparts. Just refer to “Flossy’s” youtube review. The Note 4 really lagged out bad during extreme usage on video while the Nexus 6 has zero lag. But his number one phone is still the Note 4 due to its capabilities. Flossy is an extreme power user and under normal conditions the Note 4 will not be a problem.
Google had a real chance at adding useful software features for phablets in Lollipop but they failed to take advantage of the Nexus 6 large display. Even tablets could have benefitted from having native support for 2 apps at once. So I really don’t see touchwiz disappearing anytime soon which is good. Samsung just needs to improve lag in certain spots and add a theme engine to allow people to make changes to the look.
I will have my Gear VR headset in a few days which will complete the overall package. With John Carmark directly overseeing Gear VR and the influence he is able to make to the hardware and software engineers at Samsung the Note 5 is already looking like an instant buy. I’m not seeing any other OEM devoting that much detail to VR. You can only take Google cardboard so far.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I noticed as soon as I fired up my Note 4 on Friday a very large AT&T update was applied.

Thus far responsiveness has been top notch. No complaints at all. No real lag to speak of either.
Yes I believe I got that update on Friday.

I have noticed more apps are available for split screen usage as well.

Oh and Evernote and Softcard are now among the preinstalled--as in can't uninstall--apps. Fortunately I already use Evernote.

More about that update:
http://www.androidcentral.com/att-starts-rolling-out-firmware-update-its-samsung-galaxy-note-4

Mike

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
I have a Note3 and Note4 with VZW, both bought at Best Buy. I'm going to sell the Note3. How do I check if it is unlocked? I'm guessing that it is not...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have a Note3 and Note4 with VZW, both bought at Best Buy. I'm going to sell the Note3. How do I check if it is unlocked? I'm guessing that it is not...

Just put in a GSM sim and see if it asks for the unlock code.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

You're talking the US, I'm talking International, the roll-out should begin between later this month and January, we should see the US getting it between Feb and March at the worst, I'd say April is stretching it.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
You're talking the US, I'm talking International, the roll-out should begin between later this month and January, we should see the US getting it between Feb and March at the worst, I'd say April is stretching it.

Uh yeah lol I'm gonna probably get my update from XDA in that case. Rogers has a horrible track record for updates. :(

Warranty be damned. :/

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Is there somewhere I can get a GSM sim without having to spend $5-10 just to test it?

Thanks.

Tmobile is usually pretty good if you ask them. They have the free data plans so they give Sims out for those free usually if you ask nicely.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I currently own the iPhone 6 Plus and the Note 4 (and a few other phones), and have been using both simultaneously for the last few months, but I have finally decided to let my 6 Plus go.

Main reason is that I find the Note 4 to be more productive and suitable for me. I am sure that the 6 Plus will 'catch up' to the Note 4 in future models.

The main thing I will miss from the iPhone 6 Plus is the continuity between Apple devices.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
After a week with the Note 4 it feels perfectly natural. I've taken it the gym several times and it's not obtrusive at all compared to my S5.

It goes right into the back pocket, and doesn't really feel any different than the S5 or even iPhone 6 in jeans. No part of it sticks out either.

One handed use is alright. I have medium sized hands and manage okay with shifting and reaching when needed. It is a strain for some elements but nothing I would regard as a deal breaker.

Though reaching across the device does produce a few unintended screen input touches and hitting of the capacitive buttons.

So despite all my concerns about a phablet for daily use, it's actually no big deal at all.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

thats so lame man, and people rag about Apple for their business practices...? meanwhile Samsung every year offers a flagship, then 6 months down the road, not even they offer a much improved version of the flagship with a much better CPU (old S5 only has 801, then it got the 805 not even a few months later) and same thing with the S4 when I got it, it came with the s600 which was great at the time and not even a half year later they come out with a snapdragon 800 version of the Galaxy s4 already. what a load of ********

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
This is nothing new really, Samsung does the same thing pretty much with every flagship and they are only released in South-Korea. Unless you live in there, I really cannot see what's so wrong about it?

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
thats so lame man, and people rag about Apple for their business practices...? meanwhile Samsung every year offers a flagship, then 6 months down the road, not even they offer a much improved version of the flagship with a much better CPU (old S5 only has 801, then it got the 805 not even a few months later) and same thing with the S4 when I got it, it came with the s600 which was great at the time and not even a half year later they come out with a snapdragon 800 version of the Galaxy s4 already. what a load of ********

Really? This bothers you? Why don't you go buy an old flip phone if you hate tech advancement. Never heard such a stupid complaint. Oh Samsung, I hate you, you're giving me the best CPU at the time of my purchase. How dare you do such a thing. Why don't you just give me a last gen CPU instead for the same money?
OEMs should all be upgrading their CPUs when possible in a products generation. That way, when I buy my next device, it'll be that much more advanced. Oh and just in case you didn't notice, your current phone doesn't all of a sudden stop working because an upgraded CPU came out. Good grief.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Really? This bothers you? Why don't you go buy an old flip phone if you hate tech advancement. Never heard such a stupid complaint. Oh Samsung, I hate you, you're giving me the best CPU at the time of my purchase. How dare you do such a thing. Why don't you just give me a last gen CPU instead for the same money?
OEMs should all be upgrading their CPUs when possible in a products generation. That way, when I buy my next device, it'll be that much more advanced. Oh and just in case you didn't notice, your current phone doesn't all of a sudden stop working because an upgraded CPU came out. Good grief.

Flagships are not suppose to come out every 6 months though, its like buying a 6 now with a Apple A8 and Apple A9 is ready to go , and then 6 months later they re release a iPhone 6 with the Apple A9. It makes no sense really in alot of ways. It has nothing to do with complaining about tech advancement actually thats just a ridiculous statement, why would i hate tech advancement?? Im all for it. They should change the name then if it sports newer hardware IMO.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Flagships are not suppose to come out every 6 months though, its like buying a 6 now with a Apple A8 and Apple A9 is ready to go , and then 6 months later they re release a iPhone 6 with the Apple A9. It makes no sense really in alot of ways. It has nothing to do with complaining about tech advancement actually thats just a ridiculous statement, why would i hate tech advancement?? Im all for it. They should change the name then if it sports newer hardware IMO.

It's the way the industry is, they hold things back on purpose so people upgrade, it's kind of like business 101. Don't you take offense at Apple's "S" releases?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
It's the way the industry is, they hold things back on purpose so people upgrade, it's kind of like business 101. Don't you take offense at Apple's "S" releases?

No because they are a year out and they bring very good CPU/GPU enhancements in their "S" , and also other enhancements, usually 2x improvements. I dont expect a full body redesign every year.

Everyone knows Apple releases new iPhones literally once every 365 days, so yeah...

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008

Ignore him.

Do a search and look at every single post he makes. They're all bashing Samsung and praising Apple to the moons. He hangs out in the Alternative section to be the proud defender of Apple. Some of the posts don't even make sense and are just random thoughts he put together while sitting in bed at night.

Here's an enlightening gem:

6 Plus gets almost double the gaming battery life if your into gaming, and also suffers the least performance degradation if you are gaming for a while, which means the Plus will perform even better for longer then the Note 4 can.

So gaming degrades your phone? What is this I don't even........??

Last edited:

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Sorry a bit off track to where this was heading but was wondering what messenger apps you guys use?

I actually use multiple apps as all the people I know don't use just one app. WhatsApp, Chaton, Viber, Line, and BBM. But recently a lot of my contacts have been going with BBM. It's much improved since it became multiplatform. I really like it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.