Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsa420

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Currently I carry IP6 and IP6+ and find my typing on both sucks. The new Blackberry Classic that launched today hopefully will bring back the old bbery magic of quick typing.

I tried with the Passport but that thing is too big. Wouldn't mind bailing on one of my 2 iPhones and using the Blackberry as strictly an email device.

The mixed reviews about the classic seem to be about running android apps,camera, etc. I could care less about anything but email.

Will report back on Monday when it arrives from Amazon

dsa420

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Me too, I am nostalgic for the days of being able to type emails without looking.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I owned two Blackberries and still have nightmares about trying to type on that mini-chiclet keyboard - not to mention trying to browse the web on the tiny screen with no "pinch to zoom" capabilities. I'm glad there are those who like them and still want to use them, but I can't think of a smartphone I hated more than the Blackberry.

dsa420

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Blackberry = email only

iPhone = everything "smartphone".

BBerrry should revert back to the pager style models that was their original.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I owned two Blackberries and still have nightmares about trying to type on that mini-chiclet keyboard - not to mention trying to browse the web on the tiny screen with no "pinch to zoom" capabilities. I'm glad there are those who like them and still want to use them, but I can't think of a smartphone I hated more than the Blackberry.

My thoughts exactly. I never hated a phone like my old Blackberry Bold and navigating through layers of settings and also the terrible app selections. The best feeling was then switching to an iPhone and seeing how good a smartphone can be. That said I am glad someone is still buying Blackberry because it would be great to see the company make a comeback.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Lol. I could never go back to BlackBerry. My first smartphone was a Storm2, and it was awful!! The "touchscreen" was a horrible technology, Verizon severely limited the OS updates, and the thing white screened when I tried to download the BB News app.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm actually surprised that Blackberry has held on this long. While I would never get one, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this, OP.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm actually surprised that Blackberry has held on this long. While I would never get one, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this, OP.

I am in the same boat. I am not interested in having another one. But would enjoy reading the OPs thoughts.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
I have considered getting one when my upgrade comes due. Not sure how the Classic will be, but I loved typing on my Bold 9650, and then later on the 9930. They lacked in apps, were slow, but they were a solid communication device. I miss those days. I love my Moto X and all the apps and bells and whistles, but sometimes I wish everything was just easier and there wasn't some sort of update every 15 minutes of some app on the phone.

I also wish that other manufacturers would embrace the simplicity of certain things that BlackBerry excelled at. Sound Profiles that WORK being one of them. Not a third party app, but the ability to control and set up profiles right on the device. Autotext would be another. Once those were set up on my BlackBerry, I could type as fast as I can on a computer keyboard. After extensively using both of those, moving to a "smartphone" that did not have these did not seem right.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Given that BB10 has an Android runtime, one can find more apps than one needs. Jolla is also fine, which I was not expecting.

I don't need any of the apps that don't work mainly because of lack of Google services.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I see Q20 was not the right name indeed.

It seems Q10 people don't like it, that it is really a device for classic BB diehards who have not moved on (who were always the main target group).

Passport is the upgrade for Q10 users, but it is too big for some of them.

So, BB is providing phones for 4 kinds of users, 5 if we count the Z10 diehards who think the Z30 is too big, 6 if we count the ones who buy Q5 because they cannot afford Q10, 7 if we count those who buy Z3 because they cannot afford Z30. All the people on old BB I assign to the Classic.

I am not in the 7, as I wanted something bigger and the Z30 is not a real Z10 upgrade. There are also quite a few Z30 users that are also looking for something more powerful.

Slider people are also out of luck still.

And then there are people looking for something like Z30, but cheaper (it seems this would be Rio).

7 out of 11 is not that bad for the time being. More choice than from Apple.

Once Rio and the Z30 and Q10 replacements are there, it would be 8 groups, could be brought down to 7 if the Z10 diehards realize the S5 is not that big, might be brought to 6 if the true Q10 replacement has a toolbelt (that the Q diehards accept to carry even if useless for them).

Add a landscape slider

Z30 upgrade/Z10 replacement
Rio
Passport
Q10 upgrade with toolbelt
Q5 upgrade with toolbelt
Portrait slider
Landscape slider

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.