Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Exactly why I showed his statement, comparing iPads to iPhones (as if iPads being bigger than iPhones meant anything in a discussion of the proper size for a tablet) to be silly by comparing in the other direction to laptops.

And my point was you can't compare laptops to tablets

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Why ask why?

Choice is a valuable option that assures a healthy revenue stream for Apple.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Glasses?

I'm a home/portable user and I want the larger screen to make it easier to read. And I wish Apple would get off their duffs and fix the font rendering in all their apps (or make the apps honor the font size setting in the Settings app). For instance reading anything in the App Store, even on a full-size iPad, is ridiculously hard as the text is so tiny.

Ever looked into glasses?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
No they don't. Look at how you hold an iPad, and look at how you use a laptop. Not even close to the same distance.

You're right. In fact, my rMBP is the only true "Retina" screen because I hold my iPhone and iPad much closer and can often see jagged text if I look hard enough. I use my Macbook Pro about 2x the distance from me as my 9.7" iPad, but I have the 15".

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Dynamic text doesn't even work in the store. :rolleyes: Except for the dropdown menus and in the updates date heading.

Exactly. Why is it one of the native Apple apps ignores the font settings??

And another thing that annoys me - the Apple email app. You can only zoom into an email, and it leaves the formatting the same (meaning you're now scrolling side-to-side to see it). Why don't they simply size up the font like other apps (Safari for example) making it fit the new width? Make that a choice in the Settings - some people want it work one way or the other.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Exactly. Why is it one of the native Apple apps ignores the font settings??

And another thing that annoys me - the Apple email app. You can only zoom into an email, and it leaves the formatting the same (meaning you're now scrolling side-to-side to see it). Why don't they simply size up the font like other apps (Safari for example) making it fit the new width? Make that a choice in the Settings - some people want it work one way or the other.

Should at least be able to do that with plain text, yeah! I understand the issue when it comes to newsletters though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
See, that only works because the RSS feed has the work done for it. You can't apply that to just basic HTML. It would have the same issues like any save later service currently has.

What does Reader View have to do with RSS? ???

In any case, what I mean is, they should build similar functionality into the Mail app, where you just tap a button and all the formatting goes away and you get to set the text to the size you want.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
What does Reader View have to do with RSS? ???

In any case, what I mean is, they should build similar functionality into the Mail app, where you just tap a button and all the formatting goes away and you get to set the text to the size you want.

What the person is saying is that the website must support this feature before Reader View can tap into it. For example, this thread doesn't support Reader View in Safari because it's not implemented to do so, whereas individual news articles support it.

Reader View is not some sort of artificial intelligence that reads through your text, then decides which text you want to read.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What the person is saying is that the website must support this feature before Reader View can tap into it. For example, this thread doesn't support Reader View in Safari because it's not implemented to do so, whereas individual news articles support it.

Reader View is not some sort of artificial intelligence that reads through your text, then decides which text you want to read.

Huh. I had assumed Reader View just parses a webpage to find the main text, and when it can't find the main text because the page is too complex, such as on forums, then it says Reader View is not available. Nothing so complicated as an AI, but some bit of code.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014

My browser and email client on my PC can scale this thread just fine - why are you making excuses for why Apple's email client and app store can't?

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
My browser and email client on my PC can scale this thread just fine - why are you making excuses for why Apple's email client and app store can't?

I have no idea what you mean by "scale". Read the previous posts; we're not talking about zooming in and out.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have no idea what you mean by "scale". Read the previous posts; we're not talking about zooming in and out.

Zooming in and out, scale, Reader View... I don't care what method is used. I just want to be able to read on my iPad without a magnifying glass.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Since the original iPad screen was a little under 10 inch diagonal, then I'm guessing that is the reference most people use to determine small or large.

So yes, 12 inch is large for a tablet.

If I'm going to need to carry around something as large as a 12 inch tablet, I'd prefer to carry a macbook air and get a real computer with a real keyboard. But obviously each person has their own preferences.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Since the original iPad screen was a little under 10 inch diagonal, then I'm guessing that is the reference most people use to determine small or large.

If I'm going to need to carry around something as large as a 12 inch tablet, I'd prefer to carry a macbook air and get a real computer with a real keyboard. But obviously each person has their own preferences.

Yes, however, if large means size, and the original iPad is the reference point, you must factor in thickness in addition to heighth and width. Which means that a future 12in iPad pro will likely be around the same volume as the iPad 1, making the 12in iPad the new 'normal iPad size.'

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Yes, however, if large means size, and the original iPad is the reference point, you must factor in thickness in addition to heighth and width. Which means that a future 12in iPad pro will likely be around the same volume as the iPad 1, making the 12in iPad the new 'normal iPad size.'

From a mathematical point of view, I get what you are saying, but from a practical point of view it's not the same. I have a spare pocket in my laptop bag that can take an 8 inch tablet, or perhaps a 10 inch tablet if the bezel is reasonably small. I'm not going to be able to fit a 12 inch tablet in there, no matter how thin they make it.

Perhaps one day someone will make a 20 inch tablet that is half the thickness of the current 10 inch models, but it still isn't going to be considered a 'normal' size.

Edit: a bit like this Sony XBR-X900C Ultra HD TV that is 4.9 mm thin (original iPad was 13 mm).
http://ces.gizmodo.com/sonys-flagship-4k-tv-is-thinner-than-an-iphone-6-plus-1677674982

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would love a large iPad with a stylus and attachable keyboard. Aski with real split screen multitasking. Asking it to run a more full fledged version of OSX is probably too much? I would actually consider getting an iPad myself if that were the case.

I'm happy consuming media on the iPhone. I don't need or want an iPad for that.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014

id never buy a 12 inch as portability takes a huge dive.

Definitely agree having a 12 inch or bigger tablet it defeats the purpose(portability) of a tablet for me.

I have a 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700, it is still portable but Definitely not as portable as my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.

A 11.6 inch tablet is the maximum size i go for a tablet enough said!

----------

And most people use iPhones and not laptops.

And most people use tablets and not laptops now days.

Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014

I mean "make the font larger in size and fit the current width without zooming in". IOW I think most people who need to zoom in to see something in an email client or web browser want the font size to scale not to zoom into the page so they have to scroll side to side. And when Apple's own apps don't honor the font size settings it's even more annoying.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Don't worry-Apple will likely produce a larger tablet, regardless of how people grouse about it on this forum.

As a productivity tool, the iPad needs to be larger. It also needs split-screen supportand the ability to use real stylus with pinpoint accuracy, not the pencil eraser sized ones we have now. That alone would go a long way towards making the screen real estate usefully larger.

Completely agree! :)

I'm sure IOS 9 will give us Split sceen/multi window support!

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I use my iPad Air 2 for web surfing when I move around the house, and I use my iPad mini 2 for reading books and documents because it's easier to hold for longer periods. I used to use the iPad 4 for everything but it's quite heavy compared to the recent iPads.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a 12" iPad, the screen and internals will require a thicker body, which adds weight, and I just can't see it being more comfortable than the iPad Air 2. Not to mention that it will likely instigate a new round of bendgate.

choirboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
I use mine for live music creation and would love it in a larger size as well as split screen.

Also, many musicians I know use them for their charts, but the current size can make for a lot of squinting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.