Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
When I see discussions of larger tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro and the rumored iPad Pro (both being above 12 inches) reviews always make comments like "gigantic" and other such terms. But in reality these tablets get used at roughly the same distances as a laptop and laptops come in sizes ranging from 11 inches to 17 inches with 14-15 being the norm. So if the weight/bulk of the tablets can be kept reasonable I don't see why we should continue with smallish screens like the 9.7-inch iPad.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Big business, hospitals, etc want big screens.
Family, students, etc is fine with 9.7 screen size
kids, smart infants should play with 8.9 or 7 inches screen.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
I'm a home/portable user and I want the larger screen to make it easier to read. And I wish Apple would get off their duffs and fix the font rendering in all their apps (or make the apps honor the font size setting in the Settings app). For instance reading anything in the App Store, even on a full-size iPad, is ridiculously hard as the text is so tiny.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
It depends on what you do with the iPad. If you're reading it like a book, it is a big screen. I love my Air 2 and use it mostly for leisure reading.

I'm a financial analyst who uses spreadsheets most of my day. For me, the iPad Air 2 for work purposes is too small. To be fair,a 13" laptop is borderline too small too. Anybody who works with Microsoft Excel for a living will understand how much real estate you need to look at complex financial models. It's the main reason I hated the iPad Mini.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Big business, hospitals, etc want big screens.
Family, students, etc is fine with 9.7 screen size
kids, smart infants should play with 8.9 or 7 inches screen.

This is a rather biased statement.

In reality the perception of what screen size is 'large, big, etc' depends on the task at hand. As stated above, some tasks simply require a lot of real estate, spreadsheets, designs, etc. Some tasks are fine with a smaller screen. And if holding a tablet/computer for a long time, size and weight become a real issue.

It's the same as a desktop vs a laptop. And why some people have dual 27" monitors with their desktop and carry an iPad mini.

It has nothing to do with age etc. It has to do with the task at hand.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
When I see discussions of larger tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro and the rumored iPad Pro (both being above 12 inches) reviews always make comments like "gigantic" and other such terms. But in reality these tablets get used at roughly the same distances as a laptop and laptops come in sizes ranging from 11 inches to 17 inches with 14-15 being the norm.
Context matters. They're large for tablets. Why does this bother you?

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Context matters. They're large for tablets. Why does this bother you?

Because I want as large of a tablet as I can get and I don't want people discouraging it,by acting like these are all we need.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Because I want as large of a tablet as I can get and I don't want people discouraging it,by acting like these are all we need.

Aren't you encouraging a tablet size that apparently no one else needs, essentially being the same as everyone else bickering about the size? :rolleyes:

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010

Don't worry-Apple will likely produce a larger tablet, regardless of how people grouse about it on this forum.

As a productivity tool, the iPad needs to be larger. It also needs split-screen support and the ability to use real stylus with pinpoint accuracy, not the pencil eraser sized ones we have now. That alone would go a long way towards making the screen real estate usefully larger.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It's a large screen for a tablet and when compared to the puny, useless screens on a phone it's like carrying around a flat panel TV in your pocket.

Perfect size screen as is.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Don't worry-Apple will likely produce a larger tablet, regardless of how people grouse about it on this forum.

As a productivity tool, the iPad needs to be larger. It also needs split-screen support and the ability to use real stylus with pinpoint accuracy, not the pencil eraser sized ones we have now. That alone would go a long way towards making the screen real estate usefully larger.

And Apple NEEDS these since Microsoft and Samsung already offer them. Theirs are laptop replacements, with attachable keyboards and the ability to dock to external monitors and bluetooth keyboards/mice. If Apple wants to play in that arena they need to provide the same. Otherwise their tablet marketshare may (likely will) fall. I'm already on the fence about jumping ship to either a SUrface Pro 3 or a Samsung Pro (both over 12 inches).

MikeCBR

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2014
12 inch is going to be more for a student. when im laying down watching netflix i fell the 10 inch is kind of too big. id never buy a 12 inch as portability takes a huge dive.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
And most people use iPhones and not laptops.

Huh? Are you even being serious? Even if it were true there are more iPhones than laptops they're used for completely different things. By telling you that iPads were smaller than laptops I was refuting your comment about iPads being bigger than iPhones, since tablets and laptops are used for similar purposes (a lot more similar than iPhones and iPads are).

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Compared to jumbotron laptops are small. Right?

You can't compare anything to everything.

Exactly why I showed his statement, comparing iPads to iPhones (as if iPads being bigger than iPhones meant anything in a discussion of the proper size for a tablet) to be silly by comparing in the other direction to laptops.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Huh? Are you even being serious? Even if it were true there are more iPhones than laptops they're used for completely different things. By telling you that iPads were smaller than laptops I was refuting your comment about iPads being bigger than iPhones, since tablets and laptops are used for similar purposes (a lot more similar than iPhones and iPads are).
I am serious. People are used to looking at phone screens and that's why they perceive the iPad screen as big.
Laptops, iPhones and iPads are all computers. Their uses are the same/similar for most people.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
I am serious. People are used to looking at phone screens and that's why they perceive the iPad screen as big.
Laptops, iPhones and iPads are all computers. Their uses are the same/similar for most people.

And the use case for iPads is far more similar to laptops than to phones, IMO. Only teenagers use phones at anything close to the same use cases as a tablet. Who wants to squint at a tiny 5" screen to get anything other than the simplest tasks done?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
And the use case for iPads is far more similar to laptops than to phones, IMO. Only teenagers use phones at anything close to the same use cases as a tablet. Who wants to squint at a tiny 5" screen to get anything other than the simplest tasks done?
People who integrate iOS into their daily life?
People who work on the go?

:confused: Teenagers? Teenagers did this 10 years ago. Those teenagers are adults now.

I feel the same way as you. I prefere a desktop over a macbook over an iPad over an iPad mini over an iPhone and soon over the :apple:watch.
But it's 2015. It's the age of the smartphone and I am traveling 300 days out of the year iPhones and iPads are just too convenient.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
When I see discussions of larger tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro and the rumored iPad Pro (both being above 12 inches) reviews always make comments like "gigantic" and other such terms. But in reality these tablets get used at roughly the same distances as a laptop and laptops come in sizes ranging from 11 inches to 17 inches with 14-15 being the norm. So if the weight/bulk of the tablets can be kept reasonable I don't see why we should continue with smallish screens like the 9.7-inch iPad.

Quite simply because it's relative. One might argue that those laptop screen sizes you mentioned aren't large when compared to the common desktop screen sizes (19 inches and up, etc) so I imagine people might see iPads as being large compared to smartphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.