Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
For those of you who remember Erik Lanigan, a young host on TWiT that seemed destined for greater things, there is some sombre news -

The IAIB has learned from that Erik Lanigan passed away early last year. Erik was a contributing co-host on the GFQ Network, British Tech Network, and was an on air host at TWiT.TV. Erik made an indelible mark on Internet broadcasting while the medium was still in its infancy. We received confirmation of Erik's passing from a close family member.

Everyone at the IAIB would like to extend our condolences to Erik's family.

http://www.ibroadcastnetwork.org/news/internet-personality-erik-lanigan-passes-away

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
The departure of Sarah Lane. The passing of Erik Lanigan.

Lots of sad news coming out of the Land o' TWiT these days...

stillerfan72

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
looks like all those predictions in this thread of imminent TWIT demise were wrong, Leo is still kicking and he married that woman :cool:

that said, I quit listening to TNT after Tom was fired and his DTNS show is better than TNT ever was. Elgin is a bore. still listen to TWIT despite Leo's ego and babbling, he usually gets good guests

therealbash

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
RIP Lanigan

For those of you who remember Erik Lanigan, a young host on TWiT that seemed destined for greater things, there is some sombre news -

So sorry to hear about Erik Lanigan. I really liked his late night tech talk show. FWIW Erik, massive troll on Leo today, 3/23/2015 pre-show Triangulation then epic troll on Leo pre-show to ipad Today. If anyone recorded the pre-shows, pls post 'em. For you Brother Erik.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
So glad that Sarah Lane is getting away from of twit. Really twit has gone down the tubes, and Leo is showing his true colors more and more. I'm surprised people who work for him take his crap. But I guess when you've been working there so long you sorta get brainwashed that the stuff he pulls is ok. Hopefully sarah does so well @ tech crunch that she drops twit entirely. She is still going to do the iPad show. Guess it hard to leave some place you've been at for so long.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Wow.

Having listened from the beginnings of the TWiT show (as a former TechTV viewer), I quit listening to anything on the TWiT network after Leo ramped up his "Papa Bear" act and starting diddling the help. That timing coincided with his attempts to "discover new talent" which typically only resulted in him bringing in all-in-wannabe post-iPhone tech hipsters... which obviously didn't mesh well with the wise old, been there / done that talent that really made TWiT, MBW and a few of the other original shows.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't stand Dvorak, I never really cared for what he wrote about.

I can see this being a good thing, not a bad thing in terms of TWIT.

Hurmoth

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
I can't stand Dvorak, I never really cared for what he wrote about.

I can see this being a good thing, not a bad thing in terms of TWIT.
I don't much care for Dvorak either, but the reasons behind this are wrong and how Leo handled it is pathetic and childish.

Reactions: Weaselboy

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I just can't believe all the drama that goes on at TWiT. It's like a soap opera, "As the TWiT turns" lol.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
In the latest sign that TWiT is a sinking ship, Leo Laporte has banned longtime contributor John C. Dvorak from any further appearances on the podcast network.

Dvorak explains what led to his ouster here:

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d0e55f3197099944345708652&id=031c00b6d3

Dvorak is spot on about the whole Ahmed thing being orchestrated and a hoax, and it is fair game to disagree about that, but Laporte really handled this poorly. If true, Leo's previous on air comments about Dvorak make him appear to be a very petty man.

I think his fame has gone to his head.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't much care for Dvorak either, but the reasons behind this are wrong and how Leo handled it is pathetic and childish.
True, and Leo seems to be immature and spiteful. I wasn't defending his actions. I think most of these talking heads (Dvorak included) are too full of themselves. Leo is no different, he's just showing it in a immature and petty manner

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Looks like Leo has apologized (on Twitter) and Dvorak is not having it. Can't say I blame him.

Lo5hdse.png

k0ooyiR.png

9bUJAwN.png

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Looks like Leo has apologized (on Twitter) and Dvorak is not having it. Can't say I blame him.
Leo "apologized,' but then later he began hurling new insults (via Twitter) at Dvorak and Dvorak's audience. So, it's back to where it started — a steaming pile of mess.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You know what I noticed with Leo. When he's on his MacBreak Weekly podcast he tends to be fairly positive and glowing towards apple. When he's on his Windows podcast with Thurrott, he likes to mock and belittle apple (He joins in with Thurrott). That sort of duplicitous behavior turns me off.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I stopped listening to Leo and TWIT a few years ago because of his attitude on many things and toward many people.

The *only* show I still watch on occasion is Security Now with Steve Gibson. That's the one show where Leo speaks the least and I learn a lot from Gibson.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
And the circle is complete. Mike Elgan, the guy that Leo brought in to replace Tom Merritt, has just been shown the door.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I wouldn't go that far. He's still on two other TWiT network shows, and we all know that when Leo gets rid of someone they are never seen again (until he is forced to invite them back).

Didn't Tom Merritt recently appear on TWIT again as a guest? I think they still have a cordial relationship, unlike some others in the past.
Frankly, Leo's getting a bit tiresome flaunting his financial success and pandering to advertisers to excess.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There is no spin. He decided that he wanted to travel again which he couldn't do as the TNT anchor. I don't care for Leo but let's not make things up.
Was Elgan's contract only 2 years, in which case he left 2 weeks early. Did he realize that TNT was a sinking ship and decided he wanted out. Or did Leo say, this show is a mess and Elgan was a mistake but we still want him around so we will say he wanted to travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.