Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pluss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
I've heard of some huge extended batteries, but is anyone really using them at this point? Don’t you think they were too bulky to carry?
I am always try to keep my Note 4 minimum and would rather carry spare batteries.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I have oem extended battery in my gs5.it's a little bit bigger and comes with a new back.

I get a solid day of power using the phone and staying on 4G with 6-7 hours of screen time.

I usually charge it every other day

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I use a 5200 mAh extended battery in my GS4. The regular battery is inadequate IMO.
I don't find the extended battery too bulky.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I much prefer the spare official battery/charge case approach and am currently swapping it out 3-4 times a week (roughly every other day) depending on usage.

Aside from the bulk savings, the two minutes it takes to swap also means I'm not forced to leave the actual phone plugged in to a certain location.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I had one back on my HTC Thunderbolt. I loved it...(to be fair, the Thunderbolt was pretty small compared to most flagship phones today so it didn't make as much of a difference in pocket).

I couldn't have made it through a work day without it back then, I'd definitely recommend the extended batteries vs. swapping out standard batteries.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
why use or even carry a spare battery? I've had my Note 3 from day one and when / if it runs low and I need to, I pull out a very small USB Charger that provides more than enough juice in a very short time. Heck I can charge it while having dinner with a client and be good through morning. It's very rare though that even my heavy use would cause me to need to do that though. The stock battery lasts quite long.

no thanks on the larger battery or even carrying one that would require me to pop the back off....just USB charge it.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I've heard of some huge extended batteries, but is anyone really using them at this point? Don’t you think they were too bulky to carry?
I am always try to keep my Note 4 minimum and would rather carry spare batteries.

You carry a Note 4 which has a huge battery already and large size and you think other people using extended batteries have phones that are too bulky? There are many people who think a Note 4 is too big as is.

Anyway, I use an extended battery on my Galaxy S3. I hate the short life of the regular battery. The extended battery doubled the thickness of the phone. I don't mind because I think phones are already too thin. The extra thickness served two additional purposes.

The first is that it provided clearance between the camera and the surface I place my phone on. It provides some better protection for the camera.

The second is that it provides clearance between the speaker and whatever surface it is resting against. I place my phone in a holster and normally the speaker is pressed up against the inside of the holster. This muffles the sound and makes it hard to hear my phone ring. With the clearance, the speaker is not muffled anymore and it is easier to hear when my phone rings or any other notification sound.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
On the phones that I used with replaceable batteries, I usually looked for larger batteries, but that's been more difficult since my phone choices have been such that the batteries were sealed into the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.