Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I'm doing some research that requires me to remote in to a windows pc. I have no problems if I have my mouse...but I don't always have it.

I was wondering if there's a known easy way to right click under windows 2000...I did a search and found nothing so sorry if this is a stupid question.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I'm doing some research that requires me to remote in to a windows pc. I have no problems if I have my mouse...but I don't always have it.

I was wondering if there's a known easy way to right click under windows 2000...I did a search and found nothing so sorry if this is a stupid question.

It has always been for me that the virtual machine responds like you think it would to how you do things in OS X... to put another way.

Command+C rather than Ctrl+C, Ctrl+click to right click... that sort of thing.

If your version of Remote Desktop Connection doesn't do that, get the new 2.0 version. It may still be in beta, but it has worked great for me in the past.

masse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I'm pretty sure that was the first thing I tried. Could always remote in again and test it, but have a dentist appointment now so don't have time.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You should be able to do two-finger click to invoke the contextual menu.

That's how its been on every remote/virtualized platform i've used which includes:
Citrix
Remote Desktop
VNC
Console Session through ESX
VMWare Fusion
Parallels

etc etc.

dddane

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Actually it's Ctrl + Shift + Click.

ding ding ding, winner. (thanks, btw, it's amazing how little info there is out there ... came across other forums asking the same thing yet nobody responded with that answer!)

i came across this because i couldn't figure it out. for MS RDP on a mac Ctl+click definitely does not do it. It's ctrl+shift+click.

and just in case anyone is compiling a list, on VMware Fusion, it's a simple ctrl+click to do it.

..the two finger click would only work on a laptop with a touchpad, no? or are these goofy side buttons on my new imac somehow able to be turned into two finger clickers? that would be somewhat ideal, by default they both seem to do the expose application thing (though i find them actually difficult to press the way the mouse is designed on the new imac..)

rob ganly

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
yep, i can confirm that it is ctrl, shift and click on MS RDC 2.0.1 (on snow leopard)

:)

rob ganly

dtsteinb

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
Can't Right Click

Nothing is working for me. Is there something for the trackpad I need to either turn on or off in system preferences?:mad:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Nothing is working for me. Is there something for the trackpad I need to either turn on or off in system preferences?:mad:

Mother of thread resurrection...

Go to System Preferences → Trackpad.

Under the Point and Click tab, check 'Enable secondary click' and immediately underneath it, select the option to click on the lower right corner of the trackpad, or tap with two fingers, depending on your preference.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Mother of thread resurrection...

Go to System Preferences → Trackpad.

Under the Point and Click tab, check 'Enable secondary click' and immediately underneath it, select the option to click on the lower right corner of the trackpad, or tap with two fingers, depending on your preference.

You're telling me, I was actually around here then!!

Anyway sure that'll enable it no worries. Surprised Apple don't enable it by default really...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.