Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Overall, I've been very pleased with what's been coming out of Redmond. I like the directions and we'll have to wait and see what really comes in terms of release code.

Tbh, I have more confidence in MS rolling out a less buggy OS then Apple at this point. Apple seems to be racing to roll out a new upgrade every year with lots of new features. This reportedly bit them in the behind with Yosemite.

Me too. We dumped our home phone and both of us now have windows phones with no contract ATT plans. Loving it. Great phone, great features, smooth mobile OS. What's not not to like? It's too bad the phone thing happened so late for MS. Everytime we show someone one of our Lumias, they like it and love the way it looks and works. Sadly, the sales teams at the phone stores don't even bother showing them or recommending them ever.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Well said. I have no intention of going back to Windows, but I can also appreciate their moving forward. I think Google's Android will be the first to falter, its already losing favour, and the other two are a full solution.

Right. Now that Apple has delivered a lot of the Android features that their customers have been asking for for years, Android just might be old news this time a two or three years from now. Not to mention that on the hardware side, Apple now occupies all major size categories for devices that were typically reserved for only Android-powered tech. This goes for both tablets and phones. Android actually is trying to catch up to Apple a little bit now with KitKat being a flat, uniform design.

----------

The only real cool thing announced was the Hololens. Everything else is just Microsoft playing catching up, something that was needed though. I am glad to see Microsoft doing that. Better late than never.

I agree with most of what you said. But keep in mind, Apple just played a major game of catch-up of their own; the new iPhone sizes were a clear indication of this. Even for these huge tech companies, they can't keep everything tied down and up to date. It's not until they see their customer flock gravitating towards another company and why they are doing so that they focus on what was lacking. This can take years to unfurl for them. Otherwise it's business as usual and a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Also, the competition seems to be heating up rapidly between the two companies like in the old days, meaning some great products will and have come out from both.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I agree Windows 8 is much better than past Windows releases, but calling it less buggy is a HOOT.

HAve you ever looked out how many security bug fixes (and other fixes) MS gets in one year. If you let them be installed automatically, you may not notice it. But, go in settings and look at the insane list of bug fixes... Almost endless.

I've got a major outstanding bug with MS (brings done my network every 3-5 days, some kind of memory leak), for more than a year and it is still not fixed.

At least they fix it pretty much ASAP and not make us wait 2 months to fix a major issue like WiFi connectivity. The experience on Windows 8.1 is smooth. The vast majority of these bug fixes are under-the-hood stuff you'll never notice, and yet they're release religiously every week, whereas with Apple, the bugs are pretty major most of the time and you have to wait months, praying each developer preview actually fixes the bug you're waiting to get fixed.

I'll take MS's approach here, thanks.

PS: We have a 30-device network in our house with several servers with uptimes of over 2 years. It's obviously not a widespread bug.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I have windows 7 retail but the upgrade version. Wonder if I can upgrade to windows 10 free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.