Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I expect Apple will allow a full version overlap of compatibility so I'd expect they will now have to continue any required compatibility updates into the next version as it looks like that is when Photos may appear. Assuming the next version actually introduces anything that will make Aperture or iPhoto incompatible in the first place.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
I expect Apple will allow a full version overlap of compatibility so I'd expect they will now have to continue any required compatibility updates into the next version as it looks like that is when Photos may appear. Assuming the next version actually introduces anything that will make Aperture or iPhoto incompatible in the first place.

I doubt it. Apple is chasing magical iClouds and seems to be hell-bent on guiding user in that direction (aka forcing them). I fully suspect that once 10.11(?) (11.0?) comes out, iPhotos and Aperture will no longer be compatible, of course at some point (soonish) Yosemite will no longer support RAW formats for newer cameras as well... as a user it you want to continue to use Aperture you will not only have to freeze your OS, but also your camera hardware.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I doubt it. Apple is chasing magical iClouds and seems to be hell-bent on guiding user in that direction (aka forcing them). I fully suspect that once 10.11(?) (11.0?) comes out, iPhotos and Aperture will no longer be compatible, of course at some point (soonish) Yosemite will no longer support RAW formats for newer cameras as well... as a user it you want to continue to use Aperture you will not only have to freeze your OS, but also your camera hardware.

If they don't how will anyone upgrade? Say 10.10 with Aperture working, then go straight to 10.11, where Aperture won't work but Photos does, but Photos can't run on 10.10....thats an impossible upgrade path. I'm pretty sure if Photos comes with 10.11 then Aperture and iPhoto will work too for that version at least, before iPhoto/Aperture OS compatibility will be allowed to drop.

Why would Camera RAW support change - I've not seen that announced??

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
If they don't how will anyone upgrade? Say 10.10 with Aperture working, then go straight to 10.11, where Aperture won't work but Photos does, but Photos can't run on 10.10....thats an impossible upgrade path. I'm pretty sure if Photos comes with 10.11 then Aperture and iPhoto will work too for that version at least, before iPhoto/Aperture OS compatibility will be allowed to drop.

Why would Camera RAW support change - I've not seen that announced??

Because Apple camera RAW support is built into the OS, and Apple Digital Camera Compatibility packages are limited to certain OSs. So for instance if you are lucky enough to own a Nikon D750, you will need to install Digital Camera RAW Comp 6.01 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1777), which requires Yosemite. AKA you cannot work with RAW files in Aperture or iPhoto (or preview) is you are running 10.9 or earlier OSs.

I think it is fair to assume that Aperture will continue to run in Yosemite, but in the near future there will be no further updates to camera RAW support to Yosemite (this has been the trend for quite a while), and therefore you will not be able to shoot RAW with newer cameras, even if you "freeze" your system to allow you to continue using Aperture.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Because Apple camera RAW support is built into the OS, and Apple Digital Camera Compatibility packages are limited to certain OSs. So for instance if you are lucky enough to own a Nikon D750, you will need to install Digital Camera RAW Comp 6.01 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1777), which requires Yosemite. AKA you cannot work with RAW files in Aperture or iPhoto (or preview) is you are running 10.9 or earlier OSs.

I think it is fair to assume that Aperture will continue to run in Yosemite, but in the near future there will be no further updates to camera RAW support to Yosemite (this has been the trend for quite a while), and therefore you will not be able to shoot RAW with newer cameras, even if you "freeze" your system to allow you to continue using Aperture.

Got it thanks, didn't appreciate that. I shoot a D300 so not n issue for me at this time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This will be ok for anyone who doesn't upgrade their cameras. In a similar vein though, you were in the same boat with Lightroom. If you were rocking with LR4 and got a new camera, you'd need to upgrade to LR5 to get the RAW support. Now that they're going to the subscription model, its less of an issue (unless you opted for the boxed version of LR)

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Whoa... I just watch the video for that software and it looks amazing. Thank you for showing me this.

I use Pixelmator for two years now and I forgot what Photoshop is and I have 10 years of experience of work in desktop publishing and graphics, Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker. I bought also vector drawing apps, iDraw and Affinity and they are quite like Illustrator in its heyday.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
This will be ok for anyone who doesn't upgrade their cameras. In a similar vein though, you were in the same boat with Lightroom. If you were rocking with LR4 and got a new camera, you'd need to upgrade to LR5 to get the RAW support. Now that they're going to the subscription model, its less of an issue (unless you opted for the boxed version of LR)

+1

My copy of Photoshop (and ACR) doesn't support my new camera. I'd have to buy a subscription to use it's raw processing. Since it's the only reason I'd be buying the subscription, I'm not doing so.

(I run Yosemite and use Aperture, and am doing a "wait and see". The screen shots at WWDC show an interface in Photos that looks a lot like Aperture.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Lightroom isn't perfect by any stretch and I do prefer the interface of Aperture. The main thing that made me switch to LR is the attitude of Apple towards it's users. When I buy something that not only requires money but a lot of my time to make it an effective tool I want to know that the manufacturer make me believe the product is alive and not about to be canned any time soon.

I get the idea of keeping software until it no longer does what you want it to do, or that a newer version would provide a significant benefit. Aperture for me went through a real buggy phase a year or so ago, that with the lack of news around any significant updates and no inbuilt lens correction was enough to jump ship to LR.

I did consider other software such as Capture One, but at the time LR was the only product that had correction profiles for the lenses I had and I wasn't about to go spend a load of money on new lenses. If I was considering a move today I would look at Capture One again as it's moved on a bit since then, is similar to Aperture in it's workflow and will be developed further.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005

And that is one thing I will not be doing -- renting CC. I absolutely refuse to rent any of my critical SW, especially when Adobe has, to the best of my knowledge, refused to officially name a cap % of what they will raise CC rentals by per year.

Hey... I'm an old fogey and I'm familiar with the GM Bus/LA Trolley Track way of doing business (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy). To be honest I think that Apple (apparently) pulling the rug on Aperture should be at least as scary to LR users as it is to Aperture's. I would hate to be in CC once there is no other boxed competition.... bus prices may start to go WAY up.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
And that is one thing I will not be doing -- renting CC. I absolutely refuse to rent any of my critical SW, especially when Adobe has, to the best of my knowledge, refused to officially name a cap % of what they will raise CC rentals by per year.

Hey... I'm an old fogey and I'm familiar with the GM Bus/LA Trolley Track way of doing business (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy). To be honest I think that Apple (apparently) pulling the rug on Aperture should be at least as scary to LR users as it is to Aperture's. I would hate to be in CC once there is no other boxed competition.... bus prices may start to go WAY up.

I can understand not wanting to pay Adobe's prices, especially if all you use is LR. But NO ONE is giving you a guarantee that their prices won't rise. Apple could go back to charging for OS upgrades and your RAW support for a new camera could go bye bye. It cost me more over the better part of the last decade for regular updates to LR and PS than the sub is costing. Some folks would skip an upgrade, perhaps, and save some money. Great. But overall software needs to be upgraded and there is little, if any, difference between a subscription and paying regular upgrade fees.

No Aperture isn't really a big deal. There are more alternatives to LR than just Aperture. And remember that LR probably is used on PCs too (and so are many competing products)...at least with Adobe's product you can switch to hardware that's far far cheaper. With Aperture you were stuck with Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.