Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffs

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
Yes sure here is my SwitchResX config, for the MMH11 with 2 x Samsung BX2440 monitors:

View attachment 321091

All of the laptops I've tried actually have thunderbolt and my Dell MMH11 is plugged into a thunderbolt port, no problems.

Yes setting up the DualHead2Go indeed is a PITA, it needs a ton of adaptor cables for DVI monitors since its outputs are DisplayPort. Whereas the MMH11 is simpler because it has regular DVI output sockets.

For the MMH11 you'll need one adapter cable. The device has a hard-wired input cable with a full-sized DisplayPort plug on the end, but the MBP will have a mini DisplayPort socket. So you need a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter cable - one end is a mini-DisplayPort plug (goes into the laptop), other end is a DisplayPort socket (the MMH11 plugs into this socket).

Like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Di...42?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1327270747&sr=1-42

Sorry for the old thread revival.. but THIS fixed my problem!

Apparently my mid 2012 MBP with a HD4000 can't display 3840x1080 at 60HZ? yet my Lenovo T430 with an HD4000 can..

Is this the silliest thing ever? Unless Windows 8 is auto bumping down the frequency and I'm not aware of it, this is just silly.

I am not sure if this is an OSX issue or a Matrox issue.. but if it's Matrox they REALLY needs to fix this.. I can't believe it took me 2 days of screwing around with all sorts of stuff to get 3840x1080 res on 2 23" Dell P2311h's. like 50 google searches later I stumble upon this thread. I manually create the res at 50hz and viola.. works.

iamnathan22

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Monitor Arrangment

Does your setup allow for a variety of monitor arrangements? For instance I'd like to actually stack 2 monitors vertically not horizontally. The DualHead and Triplehead2Go don't appear to support a vertical setup because its really just a stretched desktop. Can't seem to find anyone who has done this.

Can you post a screenshot of your system preferences display pane and or setup?

Hey everyone,

My setup:
OSX 10.6.6
Macbook Pro 5,1
15", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, late 2008
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT
Two Dell Ultrasharp 21.5", 1920x1080 monitors (U2211H); they came with DVI cables.
Dell Multi-Monitor Hub (MMH11)
Accell Mini Displayport to Displayport adapter

Dell mmh11
I had now way of knowing whether it would work; Dell only mentions compatibility to PC (even on the phone). I bought it and the second monitor on the condition that I can return it with no charge (including shipping) for any reason. Got everything during Dell's frequent sales :)

Turns out other companies sell something that looks identical (Startech & Accell). Accells mentions compatibility to macs and even has an all DisplayPort version!

How to... for my setup

1) Make sure to use the graphics card with dedicated memory (GeForce 9600M GT): System Preferences>Energy Saver>
- Graphics: select "Higher performance"
- Computer sleep: drag the slider to the right (never)
!The 9400M graphics (256MB shared memory) could not handle it
!Waking up from sleep mode resulted in one monitor not being
detected.

2) Connect everything:
I connected all the video cables first, then the usb to power the mmh11 (with computer on).
!I had to connect to ports 1 & 3 of the mmh11. connecting to 1 & 2 made one monitor flicker every few seconds.

3) Set the resolution:
By now the mac has recognized one external monitor called "DELL MMH11"., but it does not behave exactly as one monitor.
By default, I had the display arrangement on mirror and all three displays showed the same thing.
Go to System Preferences>Displays>Arrangement: Uncheck "Mirror Displays"
Now, there should be different window ("DELL MMH11") across the two external monitors. Select 3480x1080 and you're done! :D

matyhaty

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Very old thread. !!!

I have three of these dells things not used
If anyone wants one cheap let me know!!!

iamnathan22

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Very old thread. !!!

I have three of these dells things not used
If anyone wants one cheap let me know!!!

I may want one but what I want to know is if I can use it with two monitors stacked on top of one another rather then side by side. I'm trying to wrap my head around these things. It creates a desktop that is 3480x1080 but you can drag windows into either display. I'm wondering if in system preferences->displays->arrangement you can do some finagling to have the mouse cursor move the way I'd like between monitors—vertically not horizontally.

If you can show me a screenshot of this working in system preferences I'd buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.