Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sekrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
I replaced original 8800GT with GeForce GT 640 1GB DDR5. Installed the CUDA driver and Nvidia web driver. It seems to be working so far. I would like to update the ROM to make it fully compatible with Mac. My search so far did not reveal and custom ROM for this card. How can I modify the stock ROM on this card so that I can see Apple boot screen? Fan is a bit loud too. Thanks.

sekrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
I was reading the forums and I thought you read the stock EEPROM, inject EFI to it and reflash it. There are no instructions for the GT 640 yet probably because it works OOB. I thought I could modify it's firmware and reflash. Do I really have to de-solder and re-solder the EEPROM to do this?

sekrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Good luck !

I read that stock ROM chips are not large enough to hold both. Thanks for your help dude. Sorry but $90 + shipping is too much for a ROM chip just to show the boot screen.

Nvidia GT 640 works like a native Apple card so far in a Mac Pro 3.1. Wakes up from sleep instantly.

I will look for a less noisy cooling fan.

Last edited:

philliplakis

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
AUS
I was reading the forums and I thought you read the stock EEPROM, inject EFI to it and reflash it. There are no instructions for the GT 640 yet probably because it works OOB. I thought I could modify it's firmware and reflash. Do I really have to de-solder and re-solder the EEPROM to do this?

There is a general mis conception on this and it's constntly popping up.

I too was one of them prior to understanding ...

The problem being with Google and the scripts for the 5xxx,6xxx&7xxx also the R9 2xx

When you search you a led to believe that it's as simple as the script you see, which at glance is

ATI cards are as simple as what you have just posted (in a sense)
Not anyone can but anyone with a nak for computers can do it. I had some trouble at first but once you understand it it's easy.

But then there are Nvidia cards, and the 680 causes confusions aswell. Really simple to flash.

But any other ATI or Nvidia card other than the ones above as not a home job, well for some maybe changing the eeprom is easy but there are not alot of people who would do this.

In all honesty if you need boot screens and a GTX buy a pc 680 and flash it.
ATI is your best bet for a do it at home job.

sekrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
There is a general mis conception on this and it's constntly popping up.

I too was one of them prior to understanding ...

The problem being with Google and the scripts for the 5xxx,6xxx&7xxx also the R9 2xx

When you search you a led to believe that it's as simple as the script you see, which at glance is

ATI cards are as simple as what you have just posted (in a sense)
Not anyone can but anyone with a nak for computers can do it. I had some trouble at first but once you understand it it's easy.

But then there are Nvidia cards, and the 680 causes confusions aswell. Really simple to flash.

But any other ATI or Nvidia card other than the ones above as not a home job, well for some maybe changing the eeprom is easy but there are not alot of people who would do this.

In all honesty if you need boot screens and a GTX buy a pc 680 and flash it.
ATI is your best bet for a do it at home job.

Thanx. I understand it better now. I wanted a faster card to use it for 27" screen, not to play games with GTX680. I think I will stick with GT 640 which is faster than original 8800GT.

d3vCr0w

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2016
Hi, in the end, could you flash the card? I also have th GeForce GT640 and I am looking as well for the ROM

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Does anyone know if all GT 640 cards have 160/178Kb EEPROM chips, as in that they all need to be fitted with a 256Kb EEPROM without exception, or do some models already have 256Kb EEPROMs? Alternatively, are there any reduced roms to fit on the original EEPROM (i.e. do any 160 or 178Kb EFI roms exist)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.