Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I have Apple Care + and therefore was considering taking advantage of the Express Replacement service for my iPhone 6. It has the FaceTime camera intrusion that keeps getting bigger.

However, in the past, I know the replacements were not always great.

Yellow screens, scratches, etc.

Has anyone here received some perfect condition replacement units lately from the stores or in the mail?

Thanks!

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I have Apple Care + and therefore was considering taking advantage of the Express Replacement service for my iPhone 6. It has the FaceTime camera intrusion that keeps getting bigger.

Has anyone here received some perfect condition replacement units lately from the stores or in the mail?

Thanks!

My 4, 4S, 5, 5S express replacements from Apple were all horrible. Ill never use that service again.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
No, I go into the store now and personally check the phones now.

Ive had good experiences at the stores, poor with express replacements.

Ahh good to know. The closest apple store to me is about an hour and 45 minutes away, so if I did get it I'd probably have to do the express replacement.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
I received a perfect iPhone 6 plus after an orange spot appeared on my screen.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I just received a replacement iPhone 6 plus this week from the Genius Bar/Apple Store. No flaws other than having a loud home button click. With my previous phone I could press the home button down gently without it making a sound. But that may be nit picking and I would have to say it is in perfect shape with a good screen, and cosmetically immaculate.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I got a "white box" in warranty swap for my iPhone 6 just yesterday at my local Apple store. The new one is perfect, no damage, no indication it was ever used, no marks or dings or scratches and running perfectly. I actually think my original iPhone 6 came with a tiny tiny ding around the lightning port (beveled edge) because I noticed it the first day and I am extremely careful plugging in. So it's possible my newer swapped iPhone 6 is actually in better condition than my original brand new out of box iPhone.

Even though I don't have Applecare, I do believe the Applecare replacements are the same as what I got yesterday at the store. Just an iPhone in a white box with no accessories.

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I'm on my 5th total iPhone 6. So 3 total replacements. Each one had a problem or combination of problems. They eventually sent me a brand new sealed one (my current) and it too has the FaceTime camera problem. 4 out of the 5 I've had have the problem. And all of them have screen uniformity problems. Yellowing, dark corners, color temperature shift, dark blotches in parts of screen (dirty screen effect). I've given up and Im going to keep this one till the end of warranty and send it back for a replacement. Hopefully by then these issues will be worked out. Good luck getting a perfect replacement!

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I got a bad iPhone 5 replacement from AppleCare. The screen clicked in and out as if it was not seated properly. I sent it back and got a "Pristine" replacement. I only used the pristine replacement for about 3 months before I got my 6 (still have the 5...sitting here collecting dust)

My first 6 had a bad screen click like the faulty 5 mentioned above so I sent it back. The replacement isn't perfect, but it's better. Once every few days the lower-left corner of the screen clicks but then it doesn't do it again for several more days. The front-facing camera also has the crescent shape next to it like it's off-center.

I don't really care that much. I figure I'll probably drop it and break it before my 2 years is up so I'll have to pay for a new one anyway or when I'm closer to upgrade time, I'll call them on the front-facing camera and get a new one then.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Just had my 6 replaced through an Authorized Reseller in the area. Took them a day to get my replacement from Apple, but it's perfect. I may be crazy, but the screen is actually more responsive then my original unit. Could of been logic board issues, due to home button/TouchID issues I was having that warranted the replacement.

Came in this little plastic wrapping, but I have no doubt that it's brand new. Not a scratch or imperfection on it.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The only thing I've noticed on my replacement 6 is the home button feels softer. I actually prefer the softer feel rather than the first 6 I had that was more clicky. I think the home buttons naturally tend to vary from phone to phone.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I used to do express replacements on my older iPhones with no issues but I was told that since I have an unlocked verizon on att I need to replace it in the store so they will give me another unlocked verizon. They said if I did it over the phone they would send me a replacement to whatever carrier I am on.

urda

Suspended
Jun 15, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
I maintain a fleet of phones for my family (about 7 other iOS devices) since the birth of iPhone.

Every replacement, both via mail and in-store, have been perfect.

It's very rare to see Apple screw up a replacement, and honestly folks who do have issues with them should contact Apple about it. They always go out of their way to correct it.

Remember, you're buying a premium product at a premium price. There is a higher level care from Apple by doing that.

eckndu

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
I went to one apple store because of the camera crescent, it was a on-site screen replacement, I get my own phone back 3 hours later with my content still in it. However, there is an edge on the left side of the screen where the glass and aluminium meet. (It should be a smooth curve)
So I went to a different store, and they say one way or the other, the phone is slightly bend. and this time they swapped it with a different one...which now is starting to show a crescent too. I'm not doing this again.

Over all it was a pretty bad experience in that first store.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I recently (2 months ago or so) had my screen replaced cause of the crescent issue and I just recently noticed dust under the glass and call failures. I took it in yesterday and the genius told me that I could get the screen replaced or swap it out. He suggested a swap cause the wait for a screen replacement was four hours. I accepted the swap but the replacement had blue dye on the antenna bands as if it came from someone's jeans. So he brought another out and it was ok but the FaceTime camera had a slight crescent deal going on. He told me he could swap out the screen on the replacement so I agreed and four hours later the screen had a bright spot like an overblown pixel (the technicians words) they then changed the screen again and it was fine. I think the quality of replacement on the 5S was much better than the 6 but that could just be my experience.

----------

I went to one apple store because of the camera crescent, it was a on-site screen replacement, I get my own phone back 3 hours later with my content still in it. However, there is an edge on the left side of the screen where the glass and aluminium meet. (It should be a smooth curve)
So I went to a different store, and they say one way or the other, the phone is slightly bend. and this time they swapped it with a different one...which now is starting to show a crescent too. I'm not doing this again.

Over all it was a pretty bad experience in that first store.

Was your's a space grey? I'm thinking of switching to a white/silver model cause I don't see this issue with my friends who have the white models.

crispApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
Well my experience goes like this. I've had to get my iPhone 6 replaced 2 times since I got it. First happened about a month or so ago less than 24 hours I had the phone the video audio wouldn't work when I played back the video after taking it. So I took it to my local Apple store the next Day. They had no issue replacing it. My 2nd one seemed perfect. No issues until I seen the crescent shape on the front facing camera. So I took it in they said they were going to replace the display but I didn't have time to do it then and there so they just gave me a new 6. That's the one I currently have and it seems just fine. I would say my previous one the Touch ID worked slightly faster. Mine on this phone seems a big lagged sometimes. But other than that it's fine.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Why in the world Apple won't allow these replacements to be held at the FedEx hub for pickup, I can't understand. They just give you the "it's our policy" stone wall and "we want to make sure you get it". Well, I'm not home, so I'll have to pick it up at FedEx after the failed delivery attempt anyway. A tad frustrating, but oh well.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

Thanks!

2 weeks ago I picked up an AppleCare iPhone 6 replacement. The earpiece didn't work and had to use the phone on speaker for 2 weeks when using it as a telephone. I finally was able to get a second one yesterday. The genius said the phone was new, just not in a retail box as the first one was a new phone as well. The ear piece works on this one, and I dont see any flaws. So, to answer your question, yes I have received a perfect one but it took 2 tries.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Thanks!

The replacement s are all rejects. Some they catch, some they do not. Good luck.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
A phone that appears to be perfect to one person could have multiple issues for another user. IME, replacements tend to have more issues than new in box iPhones. Some replacements I've received have been "perfect" though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.