Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
As we all know Apple just launched it's repair program for the Macbook Pro 15" and 17" that were having graphics card problems. I noticed the Retina model with the 650m was listed which is the computer I have. I haven't heard of any issues with these nVidia cards. I know the ATI ones had problems but have any of you had issues with the 650m?

Can anyone else show me some sources with problems for the 650m.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Only time will tell, equally it`s safe to assume that Apple has concern. With every passing cycle of the MBP and the ever greater exposure to the public of the poor track record Apple has with the MBP and dGPU Apple is compelled to act, lest they tarnish their image or be instructed to by a court of law in the EU or US.

The Retina has significantly better cooling than the previous generation MBP`s all the same the GPU is still pushed to it`s limits and I wouldn't be surprised if the number of failures starts to increase over time, hence the extended coverage

If there was no reason, there would be no extended cover. No company wants to do this as it simply confirms the rumour mill that the product is sub standard and does not live up to expectation...

Q-6

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Only time will tell, equally it`s safe to assume that Apple has concern. With every passing cycle of the MBP and the ever greater exposure to the public of the poor track record Apple has with the MBP and dGPU Apple is compelled to act, lest they tarnish their image or be instructed to by a court of law in the EU or US.

The Retina has significantly better cooling than the previous generation MBP`s all the same the GPU is still pushed to it`s limits and I wouldn't be surprised if the number of failures starts to increase over time, hence the extended coverage

If there was no reason, there would be no extended cover. No company wants to do this as it simply confirms the rumour mill that the product is sub standard and does not live up to expectation...

Q-6

Yea, definitely not complaining about the extended coverage. It is nice to have as a fallback. I just found it odd since I never heard of any issues with it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can anyone else show me some sources with problems for the 650m.

A few months ago there were a couple of threads where the people were incurring some graphic anomalies, I'm not sure if that was due to a the dGPU failing, but that's the only thing I've heard.

I was (and still am for the most part) on pins and needles for my 2012 rMBP but I'm happy its within the time frame that apple has promised to repair it.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
A few months ago there were a couple of threads where the people were incurring some graphic anomalies, I'm not sure if that was due to a the dGPU failing, but that's the only thing I've heard.

I was (and still am for the most part) on pins and needles for my 2012 rMBP but I'm happy its within the time frame that apple has promised to repair it.

A handful of NVIDIAgate in the Ivy Bridge rMBPs turned out to be crappy GPU drivers in Yosemite, but when some of the handful persisted, it turned out to be a hardware failure.

Even though the failure rate was much lower than the Radeongate ones, it looks like Apple didn't want to take any chances and issued a recall.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Is the repair programme active in any country other than the US?

I have one of the affected models but am not currently experiencing any symptoms. When I use that coverage checker the screen that comes up doesn't look any different than normal and doesn't mention anything about the extended coverage.

I'm in the UK.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A handful of NVIDIAgate in the Ivy Bridge rMBPs turned out to be crappy GPU drivers in Yosemite, but when some of the handful persisted, it turned out to be a hardware failure.
Yosemite was definitely a cause of a number of graphic anomalies but I recall reading a handful that didn't fall into the category. All it did was increase my concern regarding my rMBP, but all in all they seemed to be the exception and so far my 2012 rMBP is rock solid (knocks on wood).

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

TLDR.

Anybody else able to confirm if the repair program has been launched in the UK, and when you key in your serial number into the web form what is supposed to come up if you're eligible? I'm wondering if it only applies to certain serial number ranges because the others are OK.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
TLDR.

Anybody else able to confirm if the repair program has been launched in the UK, and when you key in your serial number into the web form what is supposed to come up if you're eligible? I'm wondering if it only applies to certain serial number ranges because the others are OK.

The serial number checker does not indicate repair extension applicability. If you have one of the listed models and have graphics issues you need to contact a repair center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.