Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
And your opinion is probably based on not knowing anything of how the technology works.

Force Touch uses tiny electrodes around the flexible Retina display to distinguish between a light tap and a deep press, and trigger instant access to a range of contextually specific controls, duh.

I can see that working for bringing up the Assistive Touch menu for example... but do tell me, oh great connoisseur, what other uses -aside from shortcuts or perhaps eliminating the need of side menus- would the iPhone benefit from this?

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
If the iPhone gains an OLED display, it will bring much more than just force touch. There will be an opportunity to really change iOS. Using this display tech, iOS will gain the cool effect of objects seeming to float on the screen like the Apple Watch. That should bring some new UI effects to the iPhone.
Jony Ive recently reffered to this in the New Yorker interview:

In all honesty that just sounds like he is saying that an image or video that is supposed to have a black background should have it look black instead of the dark grey that LCD panels produce. No floating objects are going to happen. I have the Moto X 2014 which utilizes the same display tech, and the images sure don't float. I like the deep blacks though, can't wait until that tech is in affordable TVs! In fact it would be quite amazing if ios would adopt something like the Moto Display style of screen on notifications to utilize the OLED panels they may be putting in the new iPhone. That would help with battery life a bit.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Wait, Apple might finally add an OLED display to the iPhone?
Don't OLED displays use significantly less power than the current Retina LCD displays?
The iPhone 6 Plus already has a long battery life, imagine how long the iPhone 6s Plus would last! :eek:

I highly doubt OLED will make it to the S variant. Maybe in the 7 or 8. Apple doesn't have a track record for changing display types for the S.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I highly doubt OLED will make it to the S variant. Maybe in the 7 or 8. Apple doesn't have a track record for changing display types for the S.

I would have said the same thing if they hadn't added Touch ID to the 5s.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Force Touch uses tiny electrodes around the flexible Retina display to distinguish between a light tap and a deep press, and trigger instant access to a range of contextually specific controls, duh.

I can see that working for bringing up the Assistive Touch menu for example... but do tell me, oh great connoisseur, what other uses -aside from shortcuts or perhaps eliminating the need of side menus- would the iPhone benefit from this?

Moving pieces around the screen on a video game.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Sounds like super-usefull for drawing apps, painting apps, brushes in photo retouche etc… :eek:(

This is not a full-blown digitiser. It can only detect two levels of pressure (light or heavy touch) so it's never going to compete with proper Wacom digitisers for pen/brush input

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
So far, the iPhone 6S is shaping up to be a BEAST:

- A9 processor
- 2GB RAM
- Force Touch
- Camera improvements (pretty much guaranteed)

And when upgrading to a 6S this fall from a 5/5C, it'll be a HUGE leap for me ;)

2GB would be nice, but I have my doubts that the 6s will get that upgrade...unless it's crucial for iOS 10 or 11 and Apple doesn't want to shortchange the lifespan of the 6s. Force Touch may be something Apple wants to hold back for the iPhone 7 since it appears to require OLED, which would be a major visual change for iOS (possible names: Super Retina, Retina Plus, Ultra Retina???). It would be a pleasant surprise if it happened for the 6s and make some iPhone 6 owners envious when their eyes first see it. Camera improvements are guaranteed as you stated, but if it's the same 8mp sensor from Sony, the improvements will be subtle. We all know photo quality is more than just adding more megapixels, but it might be time for Apple to try out their magic on some of Sony's newer sensors. Sorry if I'm a little pessimistic. :(

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I always hold out for the S iterations. The non-S versions have mainly been about form factor changes while the S iterations let them iron out any kinks while upgrading and adding hardware. Form factor is nice and lets everyone know that you have the latest and great, but it's the S updates that really knock it out of the park. It's starting to sound like the 6S is going to be more of the same.
I think Apple actually feels like they need to do more internally for the S iterations in order to set them apart from the non-S, while the big discerning factor of non-S is form factor. Plus, it seems like we have these issues like "Antennagate" or "Bendgate" with new form factors, but don't seem to have these issues with the S.
You honestly can't go wrong with either though. You're getting a great phone whether you get the S or non-S.

I think Apple should just drop the 's' designation and just give each iPhone a higher number (2015 - iPhone 7, 2016 - iPhone 8, etc.) to prevent any potential "same look, same phone" stigma of the 's' models. Maybe some minor cosmetic tweaks to differentiate each iPhone generation. Most people don't care if you tell them it's faster with a slightly better camera and maybe one other marginal new feature. To them it looks like the same phone they bought a year earlier. There have been some rumors of Apple considering just that. I know it's superficial, but for many, they want to have something that people can easily recognize as new, especially if they paid a lot for it. I know some will say just get off the 's' cycle, but that may not be easy/practical for some people currently on the 's' cycle. Maybe an OLED display with Force Touch on the iPhone 6s (iPhone 7 if Apple chooses to drop the 's') will have enough of an impact as the 's' model WOW feature. It's almost unnecessary for Apple to have a media event for the 's' models, just release a press release with the new, updated specs like they do with their MacBooks.

Last edited:

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I think Apple should just drop the 's' designation and just give each iPhone a higher number (2015 - iPhone 7, 2016 - iPhone 8, etc.) to prevent any potential "same look, same phone" stigma of the 's' models. Maybe some minor cosmetic tweaks to differentiate each iPhone generation. Most people don't care if you tell them it's faster with a slightly better camera and maybe one other marginal new feature. To them it looks like the same phone they bought a year earlier. There have been some rumors of Apple considering just that. I know it's superficial, but for many, they want to have something that people can easily recognize as new, especially if they paid a lot for it. I know some will say just get off the 's' cycle, but that may not be easy/practical for some people currently on the 's' cycle. Maybe an OLED display with Force Touch on the iPhone 6s (iPhone 7 if Apple chooses to drop the 's') will have enough of an impact as the 's' model WOW feature. It's almost unnecessary for Apple to have a media event for the 's' models, just release a press release with the new, updated specs like they do with their MacBooks.

That's not a terrible idea, but at the same time, S iterations allow Apple to make incremental changes. We've all seen what making major changes yearly has done to OSX. Yosemite has been plagued with issues since it came out. I would be afraid of Apple trying too hard to get the wow factor every year if they drop the S. You'll have too many people complaining that the iPhone 7 is too much like the 6 if they decide to drop the S for the next phone.
However, I think the S iterations have also had their own wow factors. 5S had Touch ID which was one of the greatest additions to the phone yet plus they had the M7 processor and True Tone dual flash. The 4S was a humongous jump in memory and GPU processing plus they added Siri. I think those are sufficiently large improvements to warrant their own events.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
That's not a terrible idea, but at the same time, S iterations allow Apple to make incremental changes. We've all seen what making major changes yearly has done to OSX. Yosemite has been plagued with issues since it came out. I would be afraid of Apple trying too hard to get the wow factor every year if they drop the S. You'll have too many people complaining that the iPhone 7 is too much like the 6 if they decide to drop the S for the next phone.
However, I think the S iterations have also had their own wow factors. 5S had Touch ID which was one of the greatest additions to the phone yet plus they had the M7 processor and True Tone dual flash. The 4S was a humongous jump in memory and GPU processing plus they added Siri. I think those are sufficiently large improvements to warrant their own events.

Touch ID was cool at first on my 5s, but I've had issues with it, so I don't know. Maybe, once I have an iPhone with Apple Pay it will be more useful (if Touch ID is used with Apple Pay). I used Siri on my 4S for a short time and then like a lot of people stopped using it or just turned it off completely. People who come here are usually more appreciative of performance upgrades than the average iPhone user who doesn't have a clue if their iPhone has an A7/M7 or A8/M8. Anyway, I hope Apple has something really interesting in their magical bag of tricks for this 's' update. OLED/Touch Force would be a strong contender! A dual-lens camera would be another. Now, getting both for the 6s and maybe an extra gig of ram would be wonderful. :)

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Not an argument. Just a discussion. This is a forum after all. Maybe you need to go away.

In logic and philosophy, an argument is a series of statements typically used to persuade someone of something or to present reasons for accepting a conclusion

Source: Wikipedia

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Well, the 5S is 2x faster than the 5, and the 6 was 25% faster. Hopefully the 6S will make at least the jump the 6 did in speed.

Plus, things like Touch ID will be new to me.

Then the 7 will be 20% faster than the 6S, and your point is?

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
In logic and philosophy, an argument is a series of statements typically used to persuade someone of something or to present reasons for accepting a conclusion

Source: Wikipedia

Great. Good thing I wasn't trying to persuade anyone of anything, but simply presenting how I approach the S vs. non-S, so it indeed is not an argument. Thanks for proving me right.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Great. Good thing I wasn't trying to persuade anyone of anything, but simply presenting how I approach the S vs. non-S, so it indeed is not an argument. Thanks for proving me right.

You missed the second portion.

But anyways, I'm glad the S cycle works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.