Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I see a lot of points of failure in the first generation of this, I wonder how ready for prime time this really is.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
Jony Ive already gave praise to the OLED screen on the Apple Watch in the New Yorker interview, so not surprised they'll be using similar in the iPhone...

Last edited:

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
I always hold out for the S iterations. The non-S versions have mainly been about form factor changes while the S iterations let them iron out any kinks while upgrading and adding hardware.

likewise. and not to mention that my contract cycle has me on the S-track. Did any one of the S iterations have their own -gate 'scandal' (i really get annoyed at the -gate thing...) ? if memory serves, the 4 had cell service issues, 5 had the LTE antennae issues, and 6(+) the 'bend'. And not to mention more refined cases!

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
likewise. and not to mention that my contract cycle has me on the S-track. Did any one of the S iterations have their own -gate 'scandal' (i really get annoyed at the -gate thing...) ? if memory serves, the 4 had cell service issues, 5 had the LTE antennae issues, and 6(+) the 'bend'. And not to mention more refined cases!

issues for the very few

SaraMac95014

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
I'm a 5s hold out as well. But I was hoping for a new camera in the 6s since I would like to upgrade sooner.
I love the stabilization in the 6 plus, but the rumors of a new camera has had me holding out.

Check the camera specs on the new Samsung Galaxy S6. Including f 1.9 lens.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I still don't understand how they're gonna force me to touch it.

It's the physics force def.

----------

Nope no real scandal AFAIK and I have had all S phones. S cycle is the best cycle imo. Having an extra year to iron the issues of new hardware is always good.

pohejo

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
These are the features that I would like:
- Dual screen (where backside of phone is ultra low-power coloured "transflective LCD" kind (e-ink)
- Water resistant
- backside touch (for scrolling/ without obstructing the screen)

no force touch needed.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Not sure I understand the capabilities of this immediately, and thus won't be deviating/upgrading from my normal 2 year cycle of the next generation of iPhones, (4-5-6) anytime soon just for this feature.

TouchID was almost worth doing so, seriously, how can anyone live without it once they've used it?

Give it to Luke and any other Jedi to try and advertise "Use the Force Luke" etc.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Form factor is nice and lets everyone know that you have the latest and great, but it's the S updates that really knock it out of the park.
You honestly can't go wrong with either though. You're getting a great phone whether you get the S or non-S.

Apple now find way to let everyone know your have the latest gadget. Like in iPhone 5s (Gold, Space Gray), home button change. Dual flash.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I read a lot of Star Wars novels (what was the EU), and the Jedi & Sith abilities are often described as 'Force-something, so the Force Touch feature always brings the Jedi to mind for me :)
As long as a future version of :apple: technology doesn't come with Force Lightning, everything's cool.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I always hold out for the S iterations. The non-S versions have mainly been about form factor changes while the S iterations let them iron out any kinks while upgrading and adding hardware. Form factor is nice and lets everyone know that you have the latest and great, but it's the S updates that really knock it out of the park. It's starting to sound like the 6S is going to be more of the same.
I think Apple actually feels like they need to do more internally for the S iterations in order to set them apart from the non-S, while the big discerning factor of non-S is form factor. Plus, it seems like we have these issues like "Antennagate" or "Bendgate" with new form factors, but don't seem to have these issues with the S.
You honestly can't go wrong with either though. You're getting a great phone whether you get the S or non-S.

Do people actually still believe this nonsense?

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
I'm a developer and I use the long press gesture in my maps app for single-touch zooming and panning, which is often a lot quicker and easier than the traditional pinching approach. It only requires one touch of one finger instead of several multi-finger manoeuvres.

Basically you press and hold and the screen zooms out. When it gets to the scale you want then you move your finger and position it over the area that you want to pan to. You let go and it zooms into that area. If you move to the edge of the screen then it automatically pans.

A picture is worth a thousand words so hopefully this animated GIF shows it better:

Gesture.gif

It is also useful to quickly see where you are on a map, which is often not obvious. You just press and hold and it zooms out until you can see where you are. Then you let go and it zooms back in to where you were looking before.

It is not designed to replace the traditional pinching approach but to supplement it, especially when you wish to end up at the same scale as you started, or if the screen is too small for pinching. I tend to use a combination of both methods when panning to the area I want.

It's not just useful for maps as it would help in any app that shows a large document on a small screen (PDF viewer, image editing, large webpages etc).

I am in the process of patenting the gesture (it's been in the system for years!) so I would be very happy if Apple wanted to use it with force touch, but I suspect that it will be used for context menus like on the watch.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I always hold out for the S iterations. The non-S versions have mainly been about form factor changes while the S iterations let them iron out any kinks while upgrading and adding hardware. Form factor is nice and lets everyone know that you have the latest and great, but it's the S updates that really knock it out of the park. It's starting to sound like the 6S is going to be more of the same.
I think Apple actually feels like they need to do more internally for the S iterations in order to set them apart from the non-S, while the big discerning factor of non-S is form factor. Plus, it seems like we have these issues like "Antennagate" or "Bendgate" with new form factors, but don't seem to have these issues with the S.

Well, the 5S is 2x faster than the 5, and the 6 was 25% faster. Hopefully the 6S will make at least the jump the 6 did in speed.

Plus, things like Touch ID will be new to me.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
It was also rumored in January that the iPhone 6s will gain Force Touch and 2GB of RAM.

As an iPhone 6 Plus owner, it constantly astounds me that this thing doesn't have 2gb of ram already. For all the areas in which the 6 Plus excels, this is one point that should be straight up embarrassing for Apple. This is supposed to be their premiere flagship phone in the year 2015 - and you often can't even copy and paste from one page to another with out a page reload? Such a fail.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Sounds like super-usefull for drawing apps, painting apps, brushes in photo retouche etc… :eek:

Coincidence has it, there usually comes a new iOS together with a new iPhone. So I could imagine them implementing tons of features were the new feature makes sense.

On a sidenote, I've also been missing broader support for long taps. There are so many cases were I tried and hoped it would work, but it never did. :(

Drawing and painting apps on an iPhone? LOL

No serious artist would draw on the iPhone, now on the iPad that's a different story

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Now i can see what Samesung Galaxy S7

I love it! Samsung has made a comeback and the haters are in full force. Samsung has listened to the haters and as a result we have the S6/S6 Edge. Without the haters the S6 would not be what it is today.
So keep it up haters. It's all good.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I love it! Samsung has made a comeback and the haters are in full force. Samsung has listened to the haters and as a result we have the S6/S6 Edge. Without the haters the S6 would not be what it is today.
So keep it up haters. It's all good.

Yep, all those who hate the fact Samsung got rid of removeable battery, micro-SD and water resistance just to appease the tech pundit crowd who were demanding a non-plastic phone. :D

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus only? What about the iPhone 6s Mini/iPhones 6c?

Those rumors will be later in the week....although normally Apple doesn't touch form factor till the next non S update (so it'd be a true long shot hoping for a 4 inch 6s).

As a happy 6 user, I hope Apple brings a 4 inch version back for the folks that want that form factor (I'd actually be tempted by it), but the earliest I'd expect that would be the 7 and that in itself would be a long shot (Apple has this, sometimes infuriating, consistent habit of moving on and never looking back at things they did previously) as well.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
iPhone 6s owner marches up to genius bar with bent phone and demands free replacement: "I was only giving it a hard press" :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.