Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
True.

The primary BENEFIT of the product is that it will pair with your other Apple products to make life in the 'Apple Walled Garden' easier.

That's a huge benefit that non-Apple users don't see. It's not a bad thing at all.

Apple Pay, for example, will be easier to use by owning an Apple Watch. Instead of missing alerts and text messages when my phone is in my pocket and I can't fell the vibrations (or in a crowd like a concert, or in my car), I'll get those alerts. My calendar events will be easier, they'll pop right up. Many things will be easier.

And it WILL be easier than any other smart watch out there IF you have an Apple iPhone already. It will work together better, so IT IS SMARTER to buy an Apple Watch than some other manufacturer's watch if you have an iPhone.

If you don't have an iPhone, then other options undoubtedly are better.

the cited benefits are so marginal i feel you reinforcing my point. what is the value of a taptic notification in a concert...lol

kdarling

macrumors P6
I suspect that, like BlackBerries and Treos after the iPhone popularized slate phones, round smartwatches will fall by the wayside in a couple of years, and the appropriateness of square displays for text and pictures will seem obvious in hindsight.

The thing is, we've had square display digital and smart watches for decades now. Heck, there was no other choice.

That's partly why finally having a choice of a round display is so appealing to a lot of people.

Another reason is that it simply looks less like a computer on your wrist when the display is round, especially the way that some of the latest watches are designed.

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
the cited benefits are so marginal i feel you reinforcing my point. what is the value of a taptic notification in a concert...lol

Being older this is a rare use case for me but concerts exactly when you might want a notification tapping you on the hand. You certainly wont be able to hear any notification or feel it in your pocket.

----------

Yes, your life is going to be so much better with this product! Don't forget, your watch will tell you how lazy you are being sitting at your desk, sitting in your car, and sitting on your couch while you watch tv and your heart rate barely elevates. And who reads email on their watch? Never mind, hurry, buy more!

Not sure why there is a need to be so condescending in your response. Setting that aside - you have no idea what activity I or other posters here may or not participate in. It would be good if you could actually make a point rather than just sniping.

Just to tackle your actual pint "Who reads email on their watch?" Well right now very few people as that isn't available widely at the moment. You might go back 10 years and say "Who reads email on their phone?" or even further back to 1998 "Who reads text messages on their phone?" The whole point of sms was short notifications. Things have grown since then.

In terms of dealing with email - for me I wont be composing long complex emails on the watch - what I might do is see an email notification from my boss titled "Urgent response required" and then I will grab my phone, ipad or laptop to respond. Equally I might delete spam emails or emails that answer a question and don't need to be filed.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
The thing is, we've had square display digital and smart watches for decades now. Heck, there was no other choice.

That's partly why finally having a choice of a round display is so appealing to a lot of people.

Another reason is that it simply looks less like a computer on your wrist when the display is round, especially the way that some of the latest watches are designed.
We've had square digital watches for decades because the only attributes they needed to support were numbers and front-facing buttons. More importantly, they lacked mechanical watches' gear-and-spring movements, which are necessarily round. Simulating that form factor on a digital watch is as skeuomorphic as the reel-to-reel tape animation in Apple's Podcasts app (is it still there?).

Yes, a lot of people find such familiar references appealing. I don't. I've even disliked the web design vogue of round avatars from the beginning (I don't even like them on the aWatch). Smartwatches have displays, not dials. Round displays necessarily crop content. You don't even see round displays much in science fiction movies. Round cases are completely logical and aesthetically consistent with the mechanics of analog watches, but I find them as pointless on smartwatches as physical keyboards on smartphones.

As always, IMO :)

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
I hav a Tag Heuer Monaco Automatic Chronograph. It has a square display. I don't understand this obsession with having round watches. I also have a Mares Icon Dive Computer - it too has a square display - much better than the round displays of other dive computers as information is not squeezed in.

kdarling

macrumors P6
We've had square digital watches for decades because the only attributes they needed to support were numbers and front-facing buttons.

We've also had years of square smartwatches, with photos and other information. I've had both and round displays are not a real problem, especially on watches that emphasize short notification views.

More importantly, they lacked mechanical watches' gear-and-spring movements, which are necessarily round. Simulating that form factor on a digital watch is as skeuomorphic as the reel-to-reel tape animation in Apple's Podcasts app (is it still there?).

Apple already went quite skeuomorphic by calling their device the "Watch", concentrating on fashion bands, and putting an old style crown on it. I say, in for a dime, in for a dollar <grin>. Might as well have a round version as well.

As always, IMO :)

Sure, same here :)

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
They're not starting from scratch here either. Their entry into the smartwatch market parallels their entry into the MP3 player market with the iPod.
On a car they basicly are strating from scratch and the ipod hardware and software was mostly off the shelve and bought .

IIRC, the original context for this discussion was about the demand for a round case. To pull another analogy, this is like demanding that "real" smartphones use front-qwerty keyboards (I resisted the iPhone for months on those grounds). I suspect that, like BlackBerries and Treos after the iPhone popularized slate phones, round smartwatches will fall by the wayside in a couple of years, and the appropriateness of square displays for text and pictures will seem obvious in hindsight.

Possible, but dont forget that apple also is pushing this as fashion, and fashion is subjective.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
We've also had years of square smartwatches, with photos and other information.
We've had years of bad smartwatches, which happened to be square.
I've had both and round displays are not a real problem, especially on watches that emphasize short notification views.
Round displays don't make viewing short notifications impossible, but they certainly don't help. I suspect in a few years, smartwatches with faux dial cases will seem quaint.

Apple already went quite skeuomorphic by calling their device the "Watch", concentrating on fashion bands, and putting an old style crown on it. I say, in for a dime, in for a dollar <grin>. Might as well have a round version as well.
Naming conventions are pretty harmless. They certainly haven't limited the development of our "phones".

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
On a car they basicly are strating from scratch and the ipod hardware and software was mostly off the shelve and bought .
I still don't believe the car is anything more than R&D (what else are the going to do with all that cash?). Maybe I'm not understanding what you meant by "starting from scratch". I was referring to creating a product category from scratch, rather than optimizing an existing one, like the iPod did with the MP3 player niche.

Possible, but dont forget that apple also is pushing this as fashion, and fashion is subjective.
To paraphrase His Steveness, fashionistas always have a choice: don't by Apple.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
I still don't believe the car is anything more than R&D (what else are the going to do with all that cash?). Maybe I'm not understanding what you meant by "starting from scratch". I was referring to creating a product category from scratch, rather than optimizing an existing one, like the iPod did with the MP3 player niche.
But apple didnt start from scratch. I basicly bought its hardware and sofware and optimized it.

And you do realise the difference between a small piece of electronics, and a car?

I doubt even apple could on its own fully design and build anything decent as a car , it just doesnt have the know how. It would be forced to heavily buy people/knowledge and hardware . And even just designing the car is a first step, production/distribution/maintenance is vastly different from an ipod.

I just dont see anything that apple could do so radicaly different/cheaper/better that woudl also be profitable that justifies such expenses.

yes apple has got loads of cash doesnt mean its has to throw it at projects until something sticks .

I do see them involved in some part of the car, multi media, self driving,... Things that google and others are also working on.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

When I'm in a crowd/concert, many times people split up and then later try to find each other. In crowds and walking around, I can't hear a beep or feel a vibration.

Is this worth $350 to you? Maybe not. But that wasn't my point anyways.

My point was that it's better to get an Apple Watch if you're an iPhone user because there are MORE features than getting another competing watch. If you're not an iPhone user, then the Apple Watch is a bad idea.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Many, many people out here (Silicon valley) have and you *will* be absolutely shocked at the functionality that will be able to be exploited...even using the current incarnation of WatchKit.

Personally--I will be shocked. Limited screen space means not alot of interest will be happening.
Good luck with that shared heartbeat app!

Look, the smart phone effectively obsolesced the watch for millenials in 2006. Thats 8+ years ago. The audience for the watch is going to skew male--because it is massively heavy and techish. But the number of men who wear watches is vanishingly small.

So Apple will pull a slice of hipsters and fanbois and thats it. But many in this not insignifcant audience
will be turned off by its lack of functionality.

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
And was obviously wrong, too. A round display is nothing more than a sop to the watch snobs who believe it has to be an imitation of a traditional watch or it's an automatic no-go design. Starting with a blank slate to design (which Apple always does), the logical solution for a wrist wearable is a rectangle.

If the Apple Watch was round this post wouldn't exist and the round watch would have been lauded and called logical solution

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
And was obviously wrong, too. A round display is nothing more than a sop to the watch snobs who believe it has to be an imitation of a traditional watch or it's an automatic no-go design. Starting with a blank slate to design (which Apple always does), the logical solution for a wrist wearable is a rectangle.

a very large recgtangle, logically?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Being older this is a rare use case for me but concerts exactly when you might want a notification tapping you on the hand. You certainly wont be able to hear any notification or feel it in your pocket.

----------

Not sure why there is a need to be so condescending in your response. Setting that aside - you have no idea what activity I or other posters here may or not participate in. It would be good if you could actually make a point rather than just sniping.

Just to tackle your actual pint "Who reads email on their watch?" Well right now very few people as that isn't available widely at the moment. You might go back 10 years and say "Who reads email on their phone?" or even further back to 1998 "Who reads text messages on their phone?" The whole point of sms was short notifications. Things have grown since then.

In terms of dealing with email - for me I wont be composing long complex emails on the watch - what I might do is see an email notification from my boss titled "Urgent response required" and then I will grab my phone, ipad or laptop to respond. Equally I might delete spam emails or emails that answer a question and don't need to be filed.

I think you better filter the spam BEFORE it reaches your watch ;-), getting spam on the watch could get REALLY annoying. Notifications that get to the watch should be the ones you really want to answer right away. Maybe a list of VIP (Apple has already that for the email).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If the Apple Watch was round this post wouldn't exist and the round watch would have been lauded and called logical solution

Not by me, it wouldn't. When all those "concepts" were being published here, most of them were round. I said then that these concepts were goofy because they were trying too hard to imitate a traditional watch and that is not how Apple would solve this problem. Turns out I was right. Sorry to disappoint you.

----------

a very large recgtangle, logically?

Larger than what? This question makes no sense.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
But apple didnt start from scratch. I basicly bought its hardware and sofware and optimized it.
I didn't say they started from scratch with the iPod; on the contrary: "I was referring to creating a product category from scratch, rather than optimizing an existing one, like the iPod did with the MP3 player niche."

And you do realise the difference between a small piece of electronics, and a car?

I doubt even apple could on its own fully design and build anything decent as a car , it just doesnt have the know how. It would be forced to heavily buy people/knowledge and hardware . And even just designing the car is a first step, production/distribution/maintenance is vastly different from an ipod.

I just dont see anything that apple could do so radicaly different/cheaper/better that woudl also be profitable that justifies such expenses.

yes apple has got loads of cash doesnt mean its has to throw it at projects until something sticks .

I do see them involved in some part of the car, multi media, self driving,... Things that google and others are also working on.
You have me mistaken for someone who actually believes Apple is coming out with a car.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
I didn't say they started from scratch with the iPod; on the contrary: "I was referring to creating a product category from scratch, rather than optimizing an existing one, like the iPod did with the MP3 player niche.".

And what category would that be?

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
I think you better filter the spam BEFORE it reaches your watch ;-), getting spam on the watch could get REALLY annoying. Notifications that get to the watch should be the ones you really want to answer right away. Maybe a list of VIP (Apple has already that for the email).

Thankfully all of the real spam gets filtered out before getting to my inbox. Still doesn't stop the 100 other emails coming through. Some of which are spam only relative to the other emails.

I already use the VIP for my wife and my boss - not sure I want to add to that list. I agree getting real spam would be annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.