Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Yet somehow they will sell, marketed as "wonderful", "magical" and "beautiful" and other fluffy feel-good words to help describe how they want you to feel about this redundant, energy-inefficient tech junk.

"tech junk" is a little harsh--"pointless" seems more fair.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
[*]By the end of this year Apple will likely have sold more smartwatches than all other smartwatch manufacturers combined. In that case it would mean that your opinion about the design being worse than the Android watches is a minority opinion.

Not really. The apple watch will sell based on brand participation. Apple fans will buy regardless. Read the comments here--this is about "apple-ness"

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Now Apple is selling a wildly expensive "watch", which is redundant as I already have a watch, as do most people. But then again, my iPhone tells me the time... and it doubles as an activity tracker, which supposedly the iPhone excels at anyway... Oh, and while my watch goes years between battery changes, and the Nike+ sensor went months between battery changes, the iPhone only survives a day between battery changes. And they think an iWatch that only survives a day on a battery charge, is an improvement?

I can't help but feel this is like one step forward, two steps back. Yet somehow they will sell, marketed as "wonderful", "magical" and "beautiful" and other fluffy feel-good words to help describe how they want you to feel about this redundant, energy-inefficient tech junk.
You don't realize that Apple is doing this for you. They want you to feel superior to the tens of millions who will buy this watch in its various forms. You'll see them happily integrating the Apple Watch into their daily lives, and living their lives satisfied with their purchase. You'll be able to tell yourself "at least I'm not happy and satisfied like those people."

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
History has shown that Apple gets by just fine leaving very little for the customer to decide. They're not in the business of selling faster horses.

That is true, but apple also always goes for refening what already there. Not starting from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Power reserve...

this makes sense in a watch, but not on a laptop ? Why ? I could see users would get ticked off is suddenly the wi-fi interrupted for no apparent reason except the battery was low, so to save power we disconnected you... :apple:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Power reserve...

this makes sense in a watch, but not on a laptop ? Why ? I could see users would get ticked off is suddenly the wi-fi interrupted for no apparent reason except the battery was low, so to save power we disconnected you... :apple:

IF the power reserve kicks in when your laptop is at 5%... Well, maybe its time you save your work anyway ;-). I'm guessing you can decide to forgo the "reserve" and simply drive your watch until it shuts down if you so wish.

You do have power profiles on your laptop that can be activated in certain situations. this is kind of the same thing.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Why? It makes a great disguise because the tech paparazzi is looking to hard at Samsung watches. Very similar to how they test the next iPhone in the current iPhone shell. Big difference between "hiding behind" and "disguising." Also Apple's doing so is a clever jab at Samsung; not a compliment.

Cause jobs was too proud to hide behind what he saw as an inferior product. I understand they logic, it makes sense , but jobs was not logical in these situations. Hell would freeze over before he would hide his product behind a samsung.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I wonder how much it can do in the power reserve mode.

Time only seems like such an arbitrary limit. Time only still involves running the screen, which, if I had to guess, is by far the biggest power consumer within the Apple Watch.

As I recall, 80% of power on the iPhone is powered by the screen. After that, GPS is the next biggest consumer at 16%. Then cellular at 3%. Everything else is a rounding error (but of those rounding errors, Wifi is highest.)

So after running the screen, the next most power intensive tasks are related to using radios, and the longer distance the signal has to travel, the more power it requires. Since the Apple Watch only uses NFC and Bluetooth for radios, I don't think either of those will be a major power draw. I feel like the Apple Watch will devote 95% of power to the screen, ~2% to each of those radios, and everything else will be a rounding error.

Which means a power reserve mode, while making some slight sense on a phone (stretch the battery by 25% by turning off radios), it makes little sense on the Apple Watch (stretch the battery by 6% by turning off radios.)

Maybe my memory of how much different components consume on the iPhone is wrong and someone can correct me. I seem to recall it being in the Stanford iOS Programming course, when talking about how to make your app consume as little power as possible (it boiled down to not having frivolous radio communication.)

The watch never shows the screen till you list it up to view. So screen power draw is irrelevant.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I like the sound of that Power Reserve mode. It's a very Apple-like feature. Still I'd rather retain full smartwatch functionality (like my Pebble), but it's a neat idea that will hopefully be phased out as battery tech improves.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Not really. The apple watch will sell based on brand participation. Apple fans will buy regardless. Read the comments here--this is about "apple-ness"

The Apple Watch DOES require an Apple Phone, so what you're saying is meaningless. Only Apple fans will buy the watch, yes, that's guarantted... just like only Samsung fans could buy the Samsung watches

JasonD12

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
UK
The Apple Watch DOES require an Apple Phone, so what you're saying is meaningless. Only Apple fans will buy the watch, yes, that's guarantted... just like only Samsung fans could buy the Samsung watches

Yeah I totally agree with your points - Only apple fans will purchase the iWatch - I think it will be for true diehard fan though as many wont want to give up there Rolex or Tag for the iWatch but real die hard fans will by anyway,

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Give it a break...because Apple never copied anyone else right? And before you respond, take a minute to realize you're posting in a thread about Apple's new "Power Reserve" mode...which is something that Android Wear already has. Should I come here and scream that Apple is copying Android?

That's rich. I wasn't the one "screaming," about copying, and I never have. Rather just pointing out the the context of Apple's stuffing its watch innards into a Samsung case is not the same as Samsung copying the original iPhone design and iOS look and feel. You are the one getting upset.

Cause jobs was too proud to hide behind what he saw as an inferior product. I understand they logic, it makes sense , but jobs was not logical in these situations. Hell would freeze over before he would hide his product behind a samsung.

I've read Jobs official bio and many of his "unofficial" ones. Jobs did what was needed to maintain secrecy, whether that was suing bloggers into submission or camouflaging test mules. If the need had arose where he needed to stuff Apple Watch innards in a competitors case to avoid attention he likely would have done it. I don't know which Jobs you are speaking of.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Yeah I totally agree with your points - Only apple fans will purchase the iWatch - I think it will be for true diehard fan though as many wont want to give up there Rolex or Tag for the iWatch but real die hard fans will by anyway,

No one will be buying an iWatch because Apple is making an Apple watch. Also you don't know who will be giving up what to purchase and use an Apple watch. I could see someone giving up their expensive Rolex or Montblanc for an Apple edition gold watch because it's beautiful by design and have plenty functionality. It will be done because you will see plenty celebrities using it shortly. Believe that!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Not sure I understand. I likely will buy an Apple Watch. I'm not giving up my 18K gold Baume Mercier. Why must it be a zero sum decision? Also by "apple fans," you mean iPhone users? Because there are a lot of iPhone users that love Apple products but are not fanatics. They don't even know sites like Mac Rumors exist. They shop at places like Selfridges and read Self Magazine and will be among Apple Watch buyers.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Seems like they couldn't get the desired battery life and this is their last ditch attempt to keep the watch on all day
It's not likely at all that this was "last ditch". Even if they had achieved 72 hour battery life, this mode would still be highly desirable. And it would have been tougher to cram this feature in at the last minute than design it in from the beginning. So, it is overwhelming likely this feature was part of the design from the beginning.

----------

The flaw in this argument is the assumption of what it is to be a "watch". It's a wearable display. Due to limitations of technology, previously wearable displays were restricted to certain functions, primarily time. Not any more. The only reason it's being marketed as a "watch" is that it is competing for the same real-estate (your wrist) used by traditional watches; just as MP3 players competed for the same real-estate (your pocket) as cell phones a few years ago. The wrist is a well-established location to put displays, hence Apple's interest in this particular real estate.

The argument of Apple Watch vs. Rolex assumes they are the same thing. The Apple Watch is a wearable display; the Rolex is functional jewelry. 5% of the value of the Rolex is in telling time, and 95% is in strapping a pretty thing to your body. Entirely different focus.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
How do you let employees like that go? What was Google offering that Apple couldn't?

Who could resist the siren song of smoke detectors and thermostats? I suspect the Nest Microwave is coming out soon.

----------

I still think Apple Watch is the worst product Apple has launched in recent years. There is nothing separating it from the Google Lineup of premium smart watches. In fact, the Google line up - 360 & now the Huawei - even looks lightyears better than the Apple Watch.

You can't be serious about the 360. It has a giant chunk cut out of its display.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Seems like they couldn't get the desired battery life and this is their last ditch attempt to keep the watch on all day

nonsense. this isnt apple's first time at the rodeo -- they know exactly the basic limitations of today's battery tech, as do any of the other smartwatch makers.

as for lasting all-day -- it doesnt sound that way to me at all because that data isnt in the piece. you have no way of knowing that or not.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

You missed the point of the comment: the product's main appeal is that it is apple branded, not its intrinsic benefit. The primary benefit of the product is apple brand participation.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You missed the point of the comment: the product's main appeal is that it is apple branded, not its intrinsic benefit. The primary benefit of the product is apple brand participation.

True.

The primary BENEFIT of the product is that it will pair with your other Apple products to make life in the 'Apple Walled Garden' easier.

That's a huge benefit that non-Apple users don't see. It's not a bad thing at all.

Apple Pay, for example, will be easier to use by owning an Apple Watch. Instead of missing alerts and text messages when my phone is in my pocket and I can't fell the vibrations (or in a crowd like a concert, or in my car), I'll get those alerts. My calendar events will be easier, they'll pop right up. Many things will be easier.

And it WILL be easier than any other smart watch out there IF you have an Apple iPhone already. It will work together better, so IT IS SMARTER to buy an Apple Watch than some other manufacturer's watch if you have an iPhone.

If you don't have an iPhone, then other options undoubtedly are better.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
What will tilt the naysayers...

...is something Wear and friends just don't have: a compelling ecosystem.

I've been developing on WatchKit since it was available. Many, many people out here (Silicon valley) have and you *will* be absolutely shocked at the functionality that will be able to be exploited...even using the current incarnation of WatchKit.

Very smart, creative people have pushed it to the limit. It is far, far more capable than a "glorified notification screen" and has real *utility*. It isn't obvious because so much before it has been so..."meh" because the SDKs were pretty weak.

You may not be all that hot and bothered about what it comes with "out of the box" but when apps are extended to the wrist and can actually *do something* more than show you a glorified notification...you'll "get" it.

Don't count out Apple's army of 3rd Party devs. It is they who will make the platform.

-K

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
That is true, but apple also always goes for refening what already there. Not starting from scratch.
They're not starting from scratch here either. Their entry into the smartwatch market parallels their entry into the MP3 player market with the iPod.

IIRC, the original context for this discussion was about the demand for a round case. To pull another analogy, this is like demanding that "real" smartphones use front-qwerty keyboards (I resisted the iPhone for months on those grounds). I suspect that, like BlackBerries and Treos after the iPhone popularized slate phones, round smartwatches will fall by the wayside in a couple of years, and the appropriateness of square displays for text and pictures will seem obvious in hindsight.

----------

The apple watch will sell based on brand participation. Apple fans will buy regardless. Read the comments here--this is about "apple-ness"
I think the aWatch will sell on the basis of (1) the sheer size of the addressable market (my guess: 10% of the 200M compatible iPhones), and (2) the well observed trait of iPhone owners spending more money in general (e.g. third party apps and accessories) than Android users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.