Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It makes sense that the air would be updated with a core m but still, its kind of a shame, I'm under the impression that core m is only good for chromebooks and tablets :confused:, and it's a seriously underpowered chip , am I exaggerating?

Let's see. Lenovo's Yoga 3 Pro with the Core M had issues while playing 1080p video, and had **** battery life, so I don't know.

I think Core M will be more then adequate for normal day-to-day computing, such as email, browsing, social media, office applications etc. Its targeted at an average user that does not do anything demanding with the computer. Of course, once you throw intensive applications at it, it will struggle. Its true that first review of Core M were not so stellar, but its most likely that Lenovo's less than exemplary engineering is to blame here.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Lets stay away from arguing over the term obsolete and get back on topic.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
But if apple goes with broadwell u for the air, why would the 13" macbook pro retina even exist? The air would have similar performance, similar price and a considerably more compact body, how would the user be able to difference between them?

Different models.

One has ultrabook CPU at 15W TDP, other is ultrabook-but-better CPU at 28W TDP. One has Intel HD 5000, the other has Intel Iris (HD 5100). 15" MacBooks use quad i7's, so even better.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I think Core M will be more then adequate for normal day-to-day computing, such as email, browsing, social media, office applications etc. Its targeted at an average user that does not do anything demanding with the computer. Of course, once you throw intensive applications at it, it will struggle. Its true that first review of Core M were not so stellar, but its most likely that Lenovo's less than exemplary engineering is to blame here.

Core M is a downgrade compared to Haswell-U CPUs, let alone compared to the full-fledge -M ones used in MBPs; the reason it's a downgrade however isn't because Core M isn't a good chip, it's just not meant to be the successor to Haswell-U processors.

It's a real shame Lenovo slapped the Core M in a premium $1300+ ultrabook like the Yoga Pro because it just cripples it and makes it a terrible product (for that price range and feature set).

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
It's a real shame Lenovo slapped the Core M in a premium $1300+ ultrabook like the Yoga Pro because it just cripples it and makes it a terrible product (for that price range and feature set).

I thought the same thing when I checked one out at the local MS Store a few days ago. Everything about it was nice, except that. Quite a bummer.

Really hope Apple treads very carefully with the Core M, if they are seriously considering using it.

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2011
India
The Wall Street Journal reports that mass production of the currently unconfirmed laptop has already begun, but that it won't go on sale until sometime between April and June.

Apparently known as the MacBook Stealth over at Apple's gaff, the 12-incher is set to launch without full-size USB ports, SD card slot or the traditional MagSafe power connector. It's all to save space so that the Stealth can be the slimmest MacBook to date - it'll feature a new-style reversible USB port, headphone jack and dual microphones, if rumours are to be believed. And, of course, it will feature Apple's eyeball-busting Retina display tech.

With the rumoured on-sale date still weeks away, it seems less and less likely that Apple will announce the 12-inch Retina MacBook Air at its event on March 9th. Looks like that'll be all Apple Watch all the time.

Read more at http://www.stuff.tv/in/news/apples-...sale-spring#8zQctkyAGoX6DQkM.99:apple::apple:

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I heard from some Chinese forum that there would be a new designed dual-layer trackpad for the new 13 inch MBP.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Possibly.

A minor Broadwell-based rMBP refresh. I don't expect any graphics card change, or if there is, minimal change.

They need to release something (even if it's not substantial) to appease people, while the big update is late 2015/early 2016: the Skylake release, with a redesigned MBP.

Is that likely to have a 4k display?

mkasu

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Japan
I don't get why people want 4K displays on laptops so much. I already can't see any pixels if I go 1 inch in front of a current Retina MBP with my eye anyway. I'd rather have 1TB SSD or something else for the same price then the money dropped on a 4K display.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I don't get why people want 4K displays on laptops so much. I already can't see any pixels if I go 1 inch in front of a current Retina MBP with my eye anyway. I'd rather have 1TB SSD or something else for the same price then the money dropped on a 4K display.

Actually that's a good point. They say on TVs that 4k is useless unless you have at least a 42 inch screen.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I heard from some Chinese forum that there would be a new designed dual-layer trackpad for the new 13 inch MBP.

What's this about? I did hear about a non-clicking Force Touch-based trackpad (to make it even thinner), but nothing about a dual-layer(?) trackpad.

Is that likely to have a 4k display?

Probably not. I think it's just a specs game nowadays (in terms of displays beyond the current Retina). The benefit of moving towards 4K on a laptop is marginal (and the impact isn't marginal: a significant increase in power consumption, decrease of graphics performance for games, possibly weight, cost, ...)

What I'd rather them focus on now is a proper heat dissipation system, for a proper discrete graphics card like the 980M or the 970M (which provides desktop-class graphics processing).

In the era of the Retina display, the discrete graphics card should be the standard, and not integrated Intel graphics cards.

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Macbook Pro March 9 Rumours

What's this about? I did hear about a non-clicking Force Touch-based trackpad (to make it even thinner), but nothing about a dual-layer(?) trackpad.

Sorry actually I'm not sure about it either. I asked the poster but he refused to give me more details. My guess is probably there is another pressure sensor layer under the trackpad so when tapping, we don't need to lift our fingers anymore.
He mentioned the trackpad would be thinner but the thickness of the 13 inch MBPr ,which he is testing on, remains the same.
Just rumors.

Last edited:

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
Just got this email from Apple regarding my order:

Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s)
by the date that you were originally quoted:

Z0RB, MBP 13.3/CTO
will now ship on or before
Mar 10, 2015

Coincidence? Probably.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany

Z0RB, MBP 13.3/CTO

Mar 10, 2015

Coincidence? Probably.

I'm officially excited now ! :D

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Z0RB, MBP 13.3/CTO
Mar 10, 2015

Coincidence? Probably.

I wouldn't read anything into that if I were you. Just coincidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.