Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Well, thanks to my wife I know what a mensch is, so thank you! My wife is Mexican, but has always had an interest in Judaism and the Jewish people (we are Christians).
Well that's an interesting interest to have. Jewish culture is pretty diverse. Is she interested in the historical context in Christianity? Currently I'm brushing up on my Hebrew so I don't lose it. I'm reading Harry Potter in Hebrew since it's most interesting book I could find in my girlfriend's collection. Mensch is Yiddish and literally means "human being", fun fact. I used to be decent in Spanish, but that has fallen by the wayside unfortunately.

That does remind me, my TiBook is from ~2002 which means its Bar Mitzvah is coming up. I guess we'll have to throw a shindig. NVM checked the serial number, it's from Aug, 2003.

Wish I could give the Midas touch to your TiBook, but alas, that is not a quality I possess.

I'll put the PSD file up on Dropbox for you when I get in to work tomorrow. :D
The midas touch would come in handy. Thanks a lot though, really. I look forward getting the file and seeing how you worked your PS magic.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well that's an interesting interest to have. Jewish culture is pretty diverse. Is she interested in the historical context in Christianity? Currently I'm brushing up on my Hebrew so I don't lose it. I'm reading Harry Potter in Hebrew since it's most interesting book I could find in my girlfriend's collection. Mensch is Yiddish and literally means "human being", fun fact. I used to be decent in Spanish, but that has fallen by the wayside unfortunately.

That does remind me, my TiBook is from ~2002 which means its Bar Mitzvah is coming up. I guess we'll have to throw a shindig. NVM checked the serial number, it's from Aug, 2003.

The midas touch would come in handy. Thanks a lot though, really. I look forward getting the file and seeing how you worked your PS magic.
I'm afraid the mods might find this getting quite off track, so I am going to PM you my response and just say here that typically I am not a fan of gold in relation to Apple products.

Having had my TiBook for years I would think the Mac would probably need to be stripped down and all the old paint removed before attempting something like this.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I'm afraid the mods might find this getting quite off track, so I am going to PM you my response and just say here that typically I am not a fan of gold in relation to Apple products.

Having had my TiBook for years I would think the Mac would probably need to be stripped down and all the old paint removed before attempting something like this.

I've got to admit the PPC section is one of the worst when it comes to ADD.

I remember they used to make touch up paint for the TiBook. Anyone know how that ended up looking? If you google "paint TiBook" there are a lot of threads out there with people repainting their computers.

http://www.applefritter.com/node/2513

This thread recommends using auto paint as Krylon is too soft. They recommend looking into Titanium bike frame paint. Titanium also must be at least clear coated if you remove the paint as it will corrode/oxidize.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
You're a mensch. Can you make my TiBook look like that in real life? I spent a few minutes trying to come up with something... I don't want to embarrass myself showing it now. It's quite elementary, it's like comparing a finger painting to Da Vinci. Incredible work!

Well, thanks to my wife I know what a mensch is, so thank you! My wife is Mexican, but has always had an interest in Judaism and the Jewish people (we are Christians).

Thanks to the "Look up in Dictionary" feature in the right-click menu I know what it is too. I learned a new word! :D

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Let's please keep on my topic!

Here is my Ti 667 DVI...

-might take some time and research
-have taken another Ti apart (Logic Board,to replace paste)
-not sure I wanna go as far as taking monitor off ect,so may require painters tape and a steady hand. (will remove logic board)
-only payed $20 for this one off of craigslist...really do like it so don't wanna mess up.
-might buy a cheapo windows laptop and try on it first
-like the photoshop one,but want mine more of a satin finish (like new macbooks)

note: pics taken with old iphone 3GS

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Let's please keep on my topic!

Here is my Ti 667 DVI...

-might take some time and research
-have taken another Ti apart (Logic Board,to replace paste)
-not sure I wanna go as far as taking monitor off ect,so may require painters tape and a steady hand. (will remove logic board)
-only payed $20 for this one off of craigslist...really do like it so don't wanna mess up.
-might buy a cheapo windows laptop and try on it first
-like the photoshop one,but want mine more of a satin finish (like new macbooks)

note: pics taken with old iphone 3GS

Wow so you are actually going to do it?! :eek: :D

Last edited:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Started the tear down tonight (up way to late...)

If nothing else...at least it will undergo a proper thermal paste job! (nothing like apple just slapping it on!)

picture.php

picture.php

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Started the tear down tonight (up way to late...)

If nothing else...at least it will undergo a proper thermal paste job! (nothing like apple just slapping it on!)

Eww... blue-green thermal paste?! Never seen such thermal paste! What is it? Some copper oxide compound?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
It's gotta be stock from apple,as can tell this Ti has never been opened before...

btw: replaced with Artic Silver MX-2 and put back together (just to see how it runs) and now it's running wayyyyy cooler...fan is so nice and quiet now :)

now back to finding right paint ect for this project....

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Yes!

btw: found another person who did same thing...good read.

http://ulsterwalker.blogspot.ca/2009/11/g4-titanium-powerbook-repair-respray.html

PB1331521.JPG

Personally, doesn't look that great to me. The paint is too glossy and like someone else said, the surface isn't particularly smooth. Maybe they just did a bad job painting it.

Eww... blue-green thermal paste?! Never seen such thermal paste! What is it? Some copper oxide compound?
I had a dell of the same era with blue-green thermal paste. Maybe it was more common back then?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Ya the orange Ti paint job doesn't look perfect...but was impressed with fact he gave it a try...

Yes that green crap paste job by apple was horrid!!! Took some work getting it off (Isopropyl Alcohol and toothpicks worked great) Really worth the effort to redo it (now cool and quiet!)

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I hit 500 posts today.

Thanks to EYoungren my brilliantly crafted avatar created in Photoshop- a gold painted PowerBook G4 and cleverly named the Goldberg GoldBook (ספר זהב) by our friend poiihy.

I just hope our non PPC friends don't think it's a new gold MacBook (I am not a thrilled with the value of it).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I hit 500 posts today.

Thanks to EYoungren my brilliantly crafted avatar created in Photoshop- a gold painted PowerBook G4 and cleverly named the Goldberg GoldBook (ספר זהב) by our friend poiihy.

I just hope our non PPC friends don't think it's a new gold MacBook (I am not a thrilled with the value of it).
Yaay! Congrats on 500 posts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.