Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Has anyone ever repainted a powerbook? Was think about painting my PB Ti (667MHz).

Like most of these,the original paint has seen better days...was thinking about going with a Satin Gold like the new 12" Macbook.

Thoughts?

321604.jpg

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I hear pink is going to be the new colour for iPhones if you want to be up with current trends.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
The texture is kind-of rough and may be good for paint to adhere to.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
How about plasti-dip ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6WcZgoP9MY

When you are tired of it , you can remove it.

That's what I was thinking. It'll adhere to the Ti better. That said, I'd only do it to the back of the screen. Plastidip is an insulator and could overhead the computer.

If you really wanted to spray paint it the "right way" you'd have to disassemble the entire computer and paint it. Even then, like someone said the surface isn't as smooth as others. As I remember back in the day spray painting didn't usually turn out looking that great.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
You could probably get some decent results with proper preparation. I'm not sure if Krylon makes a Fusion paint in that color, but you may need a primer to prepare the surfaces, both metal and plastic, for the new paint. If you decide to throw some gold paint on it, be sure to post some pics. It would be cool to see how it turns out.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
If anyone wants to photoshop that I will gladly fly that avatar...

Once I have enough posts :(

In Hebrew school we would jokingly call an iBook an iSefer

Last edited:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I used spray paint once on an indoor lamp to make it gold. The heat melted the paint off, looked like a Dali painting.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not gonna lie, that looks pretty nice.:eek:

I Want:p
Thanks! Kind of makes me want one too, LOL!

----------

Thanks man! Looks awesome. Once I get to 500 posts I'll put that up there.

Maybe I should get my name legally changed.
You are very welcome. I work in Adobe CC all day (I'm a Graphic Designer for a newspaper) so I had the tools handy. :D

If you want the PSD file, let me know. It's on my desktop at work.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
You are very welcome. I work in Adobe CC all day (I'm a Graphic Designer for a newspaper) so I had the tools handy. :D

If you want the PSD file, let me know. It's on my desktop at work.

You're a mensch. Can you make my TiBook look like that in real life? I spent a few minutes trying to come up with something... I don't want to embarrass myself showing it now. It's quite elementary, it's like comparing a finger painting to Da Vinci. Incredible work!

200 Posts to go. Why is the threshold so high to get an avatar?

I wonder if I can find a Hebrew keyboard to throw in it... Then I shall call it by it's true and holy name, ספר זהב "gold book"

----------

I suppose I could always buy a new gold MacBook... but that would be an impressive waste of money. I don't really understand the market for that thing. More expensive than a MBA and MBP, and just a little bit smaller, less powerful, and less connectivity. Eh, I'll pass for now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You're a mensch. Can you make my TiBook look like that in real life? I spent a few minutes trying to come up with something... I don't want to embarrass myself showing it now. It's quite elementary, it's like comparing a finger painting to Da Vinci. Incredible work!

200 Posts to go. Why is the threshold so high to get an avatar?

I wonder if I can find a Hebrew keyboard to throw in it... Then I shall call it by it's true and holy name, ספר זהב "gold book"
Well, thanks to my wife I know what a mensch is, so thank you! My wife is Mexican, but has always had an interest in Judaism and the Jewish people (we are Christians).

I think the threshold for avatars is so high because it weeds out those that are here solely for one specific thing and then move on. If you are intent on getting an avatar you are more likely to stay and participate in the community over the long run.

My take on that anyway.

Wish I could give the Midas touch to your TiBook, but alas, that is not a quality I possess.

I'll put the PSD file up on Dropbox for you when I get in to work tomorrow. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.