Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
The 2015 rmbp has a 74.9 watt hour battery according to Apple's website.
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

That is just 5 watts shy of being twice the size of the battery in the rmb.

Essentially, for $1299 you get a retina macbook with a smaller screen, half the battery, 1 port, worse keyboard, 30% slower processor, and thinner aluminum more prone to denting/flexing.

For $200 more you get twice the battery size, magsafe charging, 2 thunderbolt ports, 2 usb 3.0 ports, hdmi out port, sd card reader, better keyboard, 30% faster processor, and thicker aluminum built like a tank.

Ironically, after buying the usb-c $79 adapter to do anything other than charge your rmb, your only $120 difference. Add in an education or military discount and your only $70 in difference.

Man, you're being so...logical. Buzz killer, you.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
"only providing 9-10 hours of battery?"

This is a statement which is nonsensical, it literally makes no sense at all!

There is nothing to defend or prove about the battery life of the new rMB, because 9-10 hours for such a thin and light weight device is amazing. It was only very short time ago that 4 hours was considered great and before that 2 ... Have you forgotten the old super small Sony Vao only got about 45 minutes of battery use?

Another rMB hater strikes an outlandish attack again.

----------

So MACGUY, buy it and quit complaining about others who want the rMB.

I'll bet you can justify why buying a Chevy 3/4 ton P/U is better than a Prius, and for some it might be.

BTW, this statement:

"Ironically, over 60% of people are overweight or obese and they are carrying around a lot more weight than 1.45 extra pounds lol. "

Proves one thing, immaturity.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
"only providing 9-10 hours of battery?"

This is a statement which is nonsensical, it literally makes no sense at all!

There is nothing to defend or prove about the battery life of the new rMB, because 9-10 hours for such a thin and light weight device is amazing. It was only very short time ago that 4 hours was considered great and before that 2 ... Have you forgotten the old super small Sony Vao only got about 45 minutes of battery use?

Another rMB hater strikes an outlandish attack again.

----------

So MACGUY, buy it and quit complaining about others who want the rMB.

I'll bet you can justify why buying a Chevy 3/4 ton P/U is better than a Prius, and for some it might be.

BTW, this statement:

"Ironically, over 60% of people are overweight or obese and they are carrying around a lot more weight than 1.45 extra pounds lol. "

Proves one thing, immaturity.

I made the statement about weight because I find it ironic that people are so eager to buy a device that weights a pound and a half less because its going to make their lives so much easier with carrying less weight when maybe they could use the extra exercise of carrying around an extra pound and a half. Odds (literally) are that the person using it does need the extra exercise and they are sacrificing all the extra benefits of the macbook pro just to have something slightly lighter.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I made the statement about weight because I find it ironic that people are so eager to buy a device that weights a pound and a half less because its going to make their lives so much easier with carrying less weight when maybe they could use the extra exercise of carrying around an extra pound and a half. Odds (literally) are that the person using it does need the extra exercise and they are sacrificing all the extra benefits of the macbook pro just to have something slightly lighter.

Ha ha ha! So someone who buys the rMB because it is so lite should really get the MBP just to get in some extra exercise? That is hysterical!

I bet I could run a marathon carrying my rMB. Could you run a marathon? How about run a marathon carrying a rMBP?

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Get off your high horse.

The difference of a pound and a half is a huge difference in a modern mobile computer. It's the difference between a Surface Pro and a rMBP. Or an iPad Air 2 with a cover and the 13" MBA. It's not insignificant at all.

Some of us just prefer to travel minimally. I travel 100+ days a year internationally, and do so with a small duffel and tiny backpack. Size and weight matters.

I logged some 2000 miles last year running trails. What did you do?

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
It's not all about the weight. The Amount of space the device takes up on a desk is important as well. Plus with the new macbook being only two pounds I won't think twice about taking it to the couch or moving it around the house. Or keeping it in my backpack all day at school.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Odds are you don't know what your talking about...

Q-6

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Get off your high horse.

The difference of a pound and a half is a huge difference in a modern mobile computer. It's the difference between a Surface Pro and a rMBP. Or an iPad Air 2 with a cover and the 13" MBA. It's not insignificant at all.

Some of us just prefer to travel minimally. I travel 100+ days a year internationally, and do so with a small duffel and tiny backpack. Size and weight matters.

I logged some 2000 miles last year running trails. What did you do?

That is pretty impressive! I run about 1500 miles a year give or take. Usually about 30 miles a week running 6 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week.

You are one of <40% who don't need the extra exercise. Good for you.

You have to see the irony in this situation though. Kind of like when people circle the parking lot of Walmart to find the closest spot possible so they can walk less. They sacrifice their own time and exercise just to walk a little less.

----------

Odds are you don't know what your talking about...

Q-6

It would probably be useful if you backed up a statement with some sort of facts. Otherwise your just a fart in the wind.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
The only irony I see is how one writer equates the rMB with overweight people.

Again immaturity, age, arrogance or something else.

OK macguy, I was a competitive cyclist and now approaching 60 I still ride and remain very fit and love the smaller Airs and will probably buy the rMB. Why, because I travel and really like the lighter weight computers. I owned the Sony Vao and afterwards a netbook many years ago for the same reason.

I think you really missed it on your comments and owe an apology to the readers of this blog.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
That is pretty impressive! I run about 1500 miles a year give or take. Usually about 30 miles a week running 6 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week.

You are one of <40% who don't need the extra exercise. Good for you.

You have to see the irony in this situation though. Kind of like when people circle the parking lot of Walmart to find the closest spot possible so they can walk less. They sacrifice their own time and exercise just to walk a little less.

----------

It would probably be useful if you backed up a statement with some sort of facts. Otherwise your just a fart in the wind.

I guess you could run a marathon carrying your rMBP. Good for you but I still think it isn't about exercise. The rMB is so easy to carry anywhere.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
I guess you could run a marathon carrying your rMBP. Good for you but I still think it isn't about exercise. The rMB is so easy to carry anywhere.

You miss the point. The irony is that people are so driven to purchase something that is logically inferior to a comparable product because they are going to carry just slightly less weight when the majority of people are overweight or obese. If they had that kind of drive to be healthy there wouldn't be an obesity epidemic. Sadly that's not the case.

Queen6

macrumors G4

I wish :) I am 200 - 220 days out of county, with luggage easily up to and over 180lb. I am always looking at way`s to drop the weight, and carrying two Mac`s doesn't help, it`s not so much the individual NoteBook it`s the entire package; charger`s, cable`s, external drive`s, adaptor`s etc.

Once in a location I am literally on the go all day, so the new MacBook makes a lot of sense for me, both reducing footprint and weight. I am great believer in redundancy so I am always certain within reason that my workflow wont be interrupted.

All this assumes the new MacBook has adequate performance, the battery life to me is reasonable, And I expect much the same as my 13" Retina around 8-10 dependent on usage.

Q-6

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You miss the point. The irony is that people are so driven to purchase something that is logically inferior to a comparable product because they are going to carry just slightly less weight when the majority of people are overweight or obese. If they had that kind of drive to be healthy there wouldn't be an obesity epidemic. Sadly that's not the case.

There is no "logically inferior" outside of a specific task or context.

Are you telling me that the "logically superior" fully loaded 15" rMBP is the only notebook that Apple should be selling and that any of us should even consider buying?

Queen6

macrumors G4

Don't worry you've got that one covered. You make far too many assumptions; not everyone requires the performance of the MBPr, for some less is more. When you are in a position that requires a high level of mobility weight and size most definitely counts, often the footprint of the device is the defining factor.

Like many your expectation is simply misplaced, wanting the performance of the 15" Quad Core, pricing of the current base model MacBook Air, all in a nicer package. Having looked and tried some of the Windows based Core M Ultra Portables, the new MacBook`s performance will be fine as long as you don't expect it to rapidly transcode video or play 3D games at a minimum of 60 frames per second. It`s a most suited to being a ultra portable business machine or for light - medium home use.

There has always been a market for ultra portable Notebooks and the Macbook is nothing new in this respect. The pricing of such portables has always been high due to the difficulties of manufacturing. My only concerns are Apple is pushing the MacBook more as an all rounder, which it`s clearly not in the present iteration. Given a few years to mature, no doubt it will be far more capable, equally for those wanting a small format Notebook that runs OS X natively it`s the perfect solution.

What`s ironic is that you assume that you are speaking to a specific audience, when in reality you are broadcasting to a diverse community, that may or may not be obese, may or may not have a requirement for a NoteBook such as Apple`s new MacBook, and if they do why would they want to pay more money for a larger heavier product that they know will never be fully utilised...

Q-6

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
macguy

" logically inferior to a comparable product "

"Otherwise your just a fart in the wind." and you added another reason to apologize.

First the product you mentioned is not "a comparable product," they are two different market segments.

Second, where's the apology?

----------

Q - 6

"My only concerns are Apple is pushing the MacBook more as an all rounder,"

I don't see this at all. Go back and look at the intro and it's all about size, style and design. There's no "all rounder" in Apple's marketing of the new rMB.

You might notice Apple never market's their products as "all rounders" or even every man's devices. Apple always markets on personality, style, artistic and life kind of approach. Remember the Mac verses the Windows TV ads? Nothing really about function it was, "which person do you want to be?"

The truth is there are some very fast and capable Windows Intel products out there, but they're Windows!

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
^^^ People who are buying the MacBook are paying for the lightweight form factor, not trying to save money...

Ah, I guess I've just stumbled across the representative for all retina macbook purchasers in the world. Good to meet you sir. Can you tell me what else the retina macbook purchasers are interested in? How did they elect you to be their representative? Was it an election process? Did you have to campaign?

Ummm, no he didn't campaign. We just elected him straight off. rMB purchasers *are* paying for the lightweight form factor. It's really not that complicated. For rocket science, we got some other guy instead.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Q - 6

"My only concerns are Apple is pushing the MacBook more as an all rounder,"

I don't see this at all. Go back and look at the intro and it's all about size, style and design. There's no "all rounder" in Apple's marketing of the new rMB.

You might notice Apple never market's their products as "all rounders" or even every man's devices. Apple always markets on personality, style, artistic and life kind of approach. Remember the Mac verses the Windows TV ads? Nothing really about function it was, "which person do you want to be?"

The truth is there are some very fast and capable Windows Intel products out there, but they're Windows!

Your right, how to phrase, it`s maybe more the general expectation just look how much negative comment the new MacBook has generated, and it`s not even hit the Apple Store :rolleyes:

For a business Ultra Portable the new MacBook is almost there, yes we can debate on the number and type of ports etc. For those expecting all round performance they may find the MacBook lacking, as it`s not going to "game" ever so well, wont be great at producing the next blockbuster soundtrack, nor is it going to be a champion of video editing.

The MacBook will highly likely perform more than adequately for your typical office applications, web, video, very light casual gaming as the GPU is the weakest link in the chain, and it will take several generations to catch up.

Is the MacBook perfect no, I would have preferred two USB C ports and Thunderbolt over USB C, 720p Camera, will it come? Obviously yes given time. Is the new MacBook a bad product superficially no far from it, the new MacBook is a market leader. A little early perhaps equally a necessitation or yet again the portable market will stagnate. Think of it like this one port, all your data, all your power. Skylake will hopefully resolve Thunderbolt over USB C, so what`s missing? Simple a dock one connection, everything flows.

If you really want to think esoterically, imagine a 27" display with dGPU and mass storage, and that brings us back neatly to just one connection. is it technically possible yes, will it happen only Apple knows. One thing is certain your going to see USB C on more Mac`s as Apple is likely to depreciate USB A in the short to mid term...

Q-6

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I find the subject title hilarious. People think nine hours of batter life is "low". Ha, I remember laptops with three hours of max battery life being long!

Pootan

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
I find the subject title hilarious. People think nine hours of batter life is "low". Ha, I remember laptops with three hours of max battery life being long!

Too true. When I got my compaq 700 in 2001, they market it as "Ultra portable, long battery life"

2 hours tops, 7 lbs. 14" monitor.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Too true. When I got my compaq 700 in 2001, they market it as "Ultra portable, long battery life"

2 hours tops, 7 lbs. 14" monitor.

My huge Dell XPS (core 2 duo extreme) only got 1.5 hours of battery power.

Last edited:

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
I don't want to be known as the idiot who thinks "9hours of battery is low"... I was mainly wondering why the battery didn't get even more juice considering it's 5watts internals..but I understand now..

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I don't want to be known as the idiot who thinks "9hours of battery is low"... I was mainly wondering why the battery didn't get even more juice considering it's 5watts internals..but I understand now..

Don't worry about it. Thinking just about the 5W processor, it is easy to immagine we might get more. The retina screen and the reduced volume for batteries takes away all of that extra life.

Can you immagine being told 10 years ago that we'd have a processor chip powering our laptop that only used 5W (max)? I wouldn't have believed them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.