Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That's good to know. Generally newer site designs are heavier on older hardware such as the PPC Macs I occasionally use to visit MR.

What I hope Xenforo fixes isn't the general navigation, but the "Reply to Thread" page. I get storage lag on that when using an iOS device.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Just to let you know, there's a lot of ordinary people out here who are very excited about the new fora. Hope you get to change the colours and make it sans serif.

Good luck, Mr. Gorsky

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I dread all the forum uproar when they do change. People typically don't respond to change well.

It's rather a lot more than that. If that's all it was, there'd be no reason to spend so much time and effort changing over in the first place. The changes are pretty much all for the better, but yes, people who can't deal with change at all (and they exist) will complain about it.

--Eric

Well, really, it depends on a number of things.

People will handle change when a number of issues have been addressed and acknowledged:

Thus, they will accept change when, 1) the reasons for initiating it have been clearly explained to them, 2) they feel that they have been consulted and that their concerns have been taken into account, rather than having the changes unilaterally dumped on them, 3) their concerns are not belittled, and 4) the nature of the changes are clearly explained and flagged in advance so that they don't feel as though they are complete morons for not grasping what this is all about immediately.

Once those who seek to initiate change take the time and the trouble to engage with those who will be affected by the change, the number of negative responses and their intensity will be reduced.

What change seekers (in every walk of life) fail to see is that the onus of persuasion - the onus of making the case - is on them, not on the defenders of the status quo; there is no point in dismissing the concerns - or mindsets - of others, that won't win the battle of hearts and mind, because the default setting of most people is 'not change' - it is easier, less hassle, and besides, it is what they are used to. Change is - or can be - unsettling, and challenging.

Therefore, if you want change - any sort of change - (political, social, economic, technological) you must make the case for it, in a way that does not belittle those whose default setting is inertia or the status quo. Your arguments must be strong enough to either win them over, or render them indifferent to the status quo.

Change only becomes considered compelling and desirable and necessary when the status quo is dire, not when it is tolerably mediocre, and casually competent. In other words, the status quo must be pretty poor, to give people the motivation to seek change of their own volition, rather than being obliged to accept change.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When another site where I hang out was going to Xenforo, the admins and mods spent a fair amount of time in preparing everything, including a sort of tutorial with screenshots prior to the actual changeover so that members could get an idea of how screens would look, etc., and what the differences were between the vBulletin setup and the new Xenforo setup. They had a special thread ready to go once the changeover was made, too.

There were surprisingly few complaints and very little confusion once the actual Xenforo version of the forum went "live," much to everyone's relief and pleasure. Admins and mods were on tap to immediately respond to questions and concerns or to explain how to do something if a member were not able to figure it out. It was a pleasantly smooth transition all the way around. I very much hope the same for MacRumors! :)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, really, it depends on a number of things.

People will handle change when a number of issues have been addressed and acknowledged:

Thus, they will accept change when, 1) the reasons for initiating it have been clearly explained to them, 2) they feel that they have been consulted and that their concerns have been taken into account, rather than having the changes unilaterally dumped on them, 3) their concerns are not belittled, and 4) the nature of the changes are clearly explained and flagged in advance so that they don't feel as though they are complete morons for not grasping what this is all about immediately.

Once those who seek to initiate change take the time and the trouble to engage with those who will be affected by the change, the number of negative responses and their intensity will be reduced.

What change seekers (in every walk of life) fail to see is that the onus of persuasion - the onus of making the case - is on them, not on the defenders of the status quo; there is no point in dismissing the concerns - or mindsets - of others, that won't win the battle of hearts and mind, because the default setting of most people is 'not change' - it is easier, less hassle, and besides, it is what they are used to. Change is - or can be - unsettling, and challenging.

Therefore, if you want change - any sort of change - (political, social, economic, technological) you must make the case for it, in a way that does not belittle those whose default setting is inertia or the status quo. Your arguments must be strong enough to either win them over, or render them indifferent to the status quo.

Change only becomes considered compelling and desirable and necessary when the status quo is dire, not when it is tolerably mediocre, and casually competent. In other words, the status quo must be pretty poor, to give people the motivation to seek change of there own volition, rather than being obliged to accept change.

Why do I feel like you've given this lesson many times over?;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why do I feel like you've given this lesson many times over?;)

Actually, strange to relate, I haven't - not in quite those terms.

Oddly perhaps, mulling over possibly posting responses has sometimes made me see some things and think about them in a different way, and from a somewhat different perspective, and that is always an extraordinarily interesting thing to do, and one that I am grateful for being prompted into thinking about doing.

Now, I have thought about why people are naturally resistant to change from a political (or economic/social/cultural) perspective - I haven't had to think about it from a technological standpoint, but it is useful to ponder it, and to consider reasons why this might be so and ask whether it has equal validity in other areas.

Sometimes, posting on here allows me to clear up stuff I have been mulling over in a different context, or to clarify thoughts I have had in my mind.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Actually, strange to relate, I haven't - not in quite those terms.

Oddly perhaps, mulling over possibly posting responses has sometimes made me see some things and think about them in a different way, and from a somewhat different perspective, and that is always an extraordinarily interesting thing to do, and one that I am grateful for being prompted into thinking about doing.

Now, I have thought about why people are naturally resistant to change from a political (or economic/social/cultural) perspective - I haven't had to think about it from a technological standpoint, but it is useful to ponder it, and to consider reasons why this might be so and ask whether it has equal validity.

Sometimes, posting on here allows me to clear up stuff I have been mulling over in a different context, or to clarify thoughts I have had in my mind.

It just struck me as a very relevant lesson to communicate in other contexts you may have been in. And I think it is very relevant in this one too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It just struck me as a very relevant lesson to communicate in other contexts you may have been in. And I think it is very relevant in this one too.

Um, yes, it is.

But sometimes, looking at a topic such as the 'challenges of change' on an online tech forum can make you see challenges of change in a new light when applied elsewhere and in other contexts and settings.

However, I have noticed fairly frequently that the obvious (and pretty dismissive one dimensional response) of those seeking change when seeking superficially to press for change when attempting (miserably) to work out why they are resisted is to:

1) minimise - or, fail to recognise - the fear that the very thought (and sometimes fact) of change can induce;

2) fail to see that sometimes, people are psychologically threatened by change;

and 3) - the obvious one, this, that sometimes vested interests are challenged and undermined by change.

However, one of the lessons to be learned is that the onus of persuasion and making a persuasive case lies with those seeking change.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
Interesting thread, it's the first I hear about vB dying :( That's pretty depressing. I've got 1000's of hours on vB forums.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
I like that it's the same people working on it but I'll always love the classic vB look & feel :-/

I'm one of those guys

How do you feel about vB 4 and 5 then? I'd say these version of vB doesn't look and feel classic vB, either.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I like that it's the same people working on it but I'll always love the classic vB look & feel :-/

I'm one of those guys
vB as a platform is dying a slow death. Forums are dumping it left and right.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Does search support exact phrases only? (2013-10-13) vaguely helped me to find XenForo Enhanced Search.

Please, will that add-on be used?

I've worked with some sophisticated enterprise applications and it does take a lot of work to implement something like this smoothly. …

I dread all the forum uproar when they do change. People typically don't respond to change well.

Those people might respond better if we have readily available examples of how other groups have worked through comparable changes.

Moderators, please: will it be acceptable to link to answers/examples beyond the macrumors.com domain?

Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I would love better search for this site. I don't even use the forum search, I use site:forums.macrumors.com withe Google.

Unless there is an available plug-in, or the admin decide to get their hands dirty in PHP, there's not really a whole lot the staff here can do about that.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
On schedule; but less positivity in recent months?

Sorry about the delay. The design took the longest piece. So we got a version of that in late Feb. Then I've been traveling pretty much all of March. And into April. …

Those things are understandable, no cause for complaint. From the opening post –

… earliest would be sometime in December, but there's a good chance it could get pushed into Jan/Feb or even later …

– so from the outset, in November, it should have been no surprise to find things ongoing in March or April. I don't view things as behind schedule.

A minor downside: I decided to cease up-voting months ago (probably early December 2014), with an optimistic assumption that the disappearance might occur before Christmas. Prior to that decision I voted very often.

I have no idea whether other people took a similar decision but I guess, there might have been a noticeable drop in positivity (up-voting) across the forum as a whole in recent months.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
A minor downside: I decided to cease up-voting months ago (probably early December 2014), with an optimistic assumption that the disappearance might occur before Christmas. Prior to that decision I voted very often.

I have no idea whether other people took a similar decision but I guess, there might have been a noticeable drop in positivity (up-voting) across the forum as a whole in recent months.

Most people on this forum don't even know about the impending switch, and those who do don't care and go about their posting and upvoting as normal. This is my guess :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The issue with voting is that the new forum software shows you who voted, so arn decided to try to carry the current vote totals over anonymously, with only new votes showing who voted.

That's made more work for the transition, but it preserves the anonymity that some users assumed they had when voting (even though arn said otherwise from the beginning).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.