Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm going to contact Belkin as I can't keep mine connected for more than a minute, if that. I thought the green light changes to blue once it's fully charged? Mine just goes out after a few minutes.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm going to contact Belkin as I can't keep mine connected for more than a minute, if that. I thought the green light changes to blue once it's fully charged? Mine just goes out after a few minutes.

Just an update. Had the case on charge all night and it's working fine again. I wish there was a way to see how much battery was left.

Starter

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Recently I've bought and used and returned a TON of keyboard solutions for the iPad Air 2... Basically, my 2011 Macbook Air finally bit the dust (after serving me faithfully in terrible conditions in over 20 countries) and I've been using an iPad Air 2 as a stop-gap while I wait for the redesigned Macbook Air to drop. So I've been looking for something tough, simple to use, reasonably portable, and pleasurable to type on.

Here's a few thoughts on a few keyboards I've tried out:

ZAGG Slim Book Case: This keyboard was probably the least durable of everything I tried. I actually opened a couple of them in Best Buy, because the first one I checked out actually had a bent or warped keyboard, and didn't rest flat on a table. I didn't read the writing on the wall, and bought one anyway. Mine didn't bend, because I returned it before it had a chance to... The plastic covering for the iPad was flimsy, made of the sort of plastic that cracks easily, and worst of all, had a very loose fit on the iPad. Honestly, iPad protection isn't a huge factor for me... I expect it to get scratches, and it's at least as durable as an Apple laptop, so I'm okay with even no case or backing... The issue here was that the fit was loose enough that I didn't feel cofident the iPad wouldn't slip out and fall on the floor if I was shuffling the case from say my lap to the table top. I did like the backlit keys on this model though. Nice tactile response, good spacing. One of the nicest to type on. Overall, it's big selling point is the aluminum backlit keyboard, but the thinness of that aluminum makes it prone to bending, and case that secures the iPad isn't worthy of a $15 price tag, let alone $129.

ZAGG Folio: Nothing overtly wrong with this case, if it cost somewhere in the $30-$40 range. At $89, it's just not up to par. Cheap, waxy plastic. Cheap leather stuck on in a manner that suggested it would start peeling off the case sooner rather than later. Everything about this case felt and looked cheap. The black version was the best by far... The cheapness was somewhat hidden. The red and blue versions looked like baby's toys. Keyboard was meh, a little cramped with a bit of a mushy feel.

Logitech Ultrathin: Closed it looks nice. I'm not a huge fan of the magnetic cover designs where you remove and put your iPad in a separte slot for use... I prefer the clamshell or folio thing, but that's subjective. It nice for what it is, so fans of this design should be happy. The keyboard is okay, if a little cramped... Very similar to the Zagg folio in size, but with better tactile feel. The dealbreaker for me with the Ultrathin was the angle that the iPad rested in the slot. Very close to straight up and down. I found it had to work this way... I need more of an angle back. For people who aren't bugged by the screen angle, this is decently priced at the discounted $79 Best Buy and others have it at. The retail $99 might be a bit much.

Logitech Type+: This is a simple, well designed and easy to use keyboard folio. It's attractive, and the keyboard is decent. Same tactile response as the Ultrathin, but it seems a bit larger to me. Overall, I liked the Type+ a lot. Unfortunately, mine had to be returned... There appears to be an issue with the wide-weave ballistic nylon covered version... It begins to "hair" or "whisker" almost immediately... After only a few visits to the cafe, I found myself trimming loose threads along the edges with scissors to stop the case from looking tired and old. Looks aside, my greater concern was that the outer fabric might quickly wear to the point where it would separate from the plastic body, and the case would essentially split, like those old nylon covered plastic school binders that were only good for a semester or two. I've seen a newer version that uses a similarly textured outer fabric that appears to be a tighter weave with a more rubbery feel. Perhaps that wears better. Like many of these keyboards, I don't think it's worth the cost of admission. $99 is steep. If it was discounted to $79 like it's sister the Ultrathin, I'd say go for it, assuming it's not the wide-weave ballistic nylon version.

Logitech Keys-To-Go: Not a case obviously, and you'll need a cover or something to prop up your iPad. These were actually better than I thought they'd be. The tactile response was very decent. There's no getting around how small they are... I actually think they could have garnered a much better overall typing experience with another .5 inch of width that nobody would have noticed, but whatever... They're fine as is. They appear durable... And the sort of ashy matte surface already looks kind of dirty, at least on the black model, so it should wear well. I used it in the store a good amount, but didn't actually buy this one. It seems overpriced by about 50%. It would be a nice piece of kit at $39. It's pretty steep at $69.

Logitech K480: Okay, this isn't a case, or rechargable, or have an auto on/off switch, nor is it what most would consider portable, and it's definitely not sexy. But it's what I'm typing this post on. At the end of the day, I picked it up for $35, it's durable, simple to use, and has the best build quality of all the various solutions I tried... Which is shameful when you consider how big the price differences are here. Slap "iPad Air 2" on the side of something and... But I'm getting off-topic. The K480 also happens to have the nicest keyboard feel and spacing of everything I've tried, including my old Macbook Air. It's heavy, but it fits in my bag, and once set up on a table, makes for really nice work station. The 3-way Blutooth switch works as advertised and is fast, although it's not something I need. I dunno if I'd buy the K480 for the retail $49. Standard batteries are a drag, and I wish it had a magnetic sensor in the dock for auto on/off, instead of a switch on the bottom and a blutooth pairing key. And backlit keys would be great. But again, it was $35, and so far there are no inherent deal-breakers. So if I don't find anything better while waiting on the new Macbook Air, I'm okay with that.

I still may try the Clamshell Pro and the Brydge Air. Maybe. Some issues I've been reading about the Clamshell and the fact that it runs $169 ($149 with coupon code) may make it a non-starter with me. Similar deal with the $169 Brydge (no discounts)... I'd like to see a cheaper non-speaker version of the Brydge Air like they did with the older model. And I've been hearing complaints of color-matching issues with the Air 2... For either of these high-priced guys to ring my bell, they need to be essentially flawless.

Last edited:

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
I'm using the Logitech Type+. So far a great experience, love the feel of the keys and the fit is great for the new Air 2. The outer Nylon has held up well without any hangs or snags, great for using on an airplane, in the office or around the house.

The only downfall I would say is that there is only one view angle, but it is a standard seeming angle that you shouldn't have to uncomfortably sit or adjust.

wholesalestunna

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
I feel like I can contribute to this thread now that I got my Brydge in the mail. I take my iPad to work and use it in a car a lot, so any flimsy keyboard case for me was a dealbreaker. I also liked the fact that the Brydge was sturdy and aluminum and not plastic. Upon ordering it, it shipped quickly and it was at my door in two days. The shims that I needed for my iPad Air 2 were accidentally left out of the packaging, but upon contacting Brydge they quickly replied to my message and said they would ship me a set. They shipped those 2nd day mail like the keyboard, but it took 4 or 5 days from the time I got a tracking code in my email for them to be shipped to me. This was frustrating because I had the keyboard, but couldn't use it in a mobile environment because the iPad would slip out of the case.

Once I got the shims though and finally put my iPad in it, I fell in love. The iPad is securely held into the keyboard (I can pick it up by the iPad and the keyboard won't fall off), yet it's easy to pull the iPad free if I wanted to use it by itself. So far I love this case and feel as though it's definitely worth the money. You can get a cheaper keyboard but it's not going to be as sturdy and definitely not aluminum. The keyboard is smaller of course than my MacBook Pro, but they keys feel so good it's like typing on a slightly smaller macbook. It's so nice to use in bed and I find myself being much more mobile with this than I did my laptop since it's so easy to carry around with me. I would recommend this case to anyone and everyone :D

Last edited:

AndroidNmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
Was looking at a keyboard case, but since I wouldn't use the keyboard that often, I didn't think it was worth the price. Also the lack of protection from some of the cases.

Decided to just get a regular bluetooth keyboard. BTW, anker's older one is still on sale for $16.
http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Wirel...qid=1424428150&sr=1-6&keywords=anker+keyboard

This way I get a full size keyboard which can also be used elsewhere. Would just use the case already on the air 2 to prop it up.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Was looking at a keyboard case, but since I wouldn't use the keyboard that often, I didn't think it was worth the price. Also the lack of protection from some of the cases.

Decided to just get a regular bluetooth keyboard. BTW, anker's older one is still on sale for $16.
http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Wirel...qid=1424428150&sr=1-6&keywords=anker+keyboard

This way I get a full size keyboard which can also be used elsewhere. Would just use the case already on the air 2 to prop it up.

And what are your initial impressions of this keyboard, responsiveness etc.?

AndroidNmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
And what are your initial impressions of this keyboard, responsiveness etc.?

Hasn't arrived yet, but there are a ton of reviews online. I've read a few posts where people prefer it to the apple wireless keyboard.

The older version has some "professional" reviews out there on sites such as wirecutter if you're interested.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
i just got the logitech ultrathin one. i like it. but it doesnt have a rechargeable battery. thinking of returning it because of that. any other suggestions?

wendimc

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
I am not trying to hijack this thread, but thought my question would fit well. I am looking for a keyboard case where the keyboard is soft. Something like the one you can buy for the surface tablet. Is there something like that available?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I am not trying to hijack this thread, but thought my question would fit well. I am looking for a keyboard case where the keyboard is soft. Something like the one you can buy for the surface tablet. Is there something like that available?

With case:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/fabricskin-keyboard-folio-for-ipadi5?crid=1240

Without case:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/keys-to-go-ipad?crid=1240

Reviews for both can be found all over the internet. Searching this board for either product will also give you a ton of information. The FabricSkin case has been around for a couple of iPad generations now. The KeysToGo detached keyboard is new, but there are a couple of threads on it here as a number of us bought it. Both are of the same material & appear to be similarly made.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Best Keyboard Case:

1. All aluminum construction, with  logo cutout on back (protects entire iPad, including edges)
2. iOS specific function keys
3. Backlit/multicolored keys
4. Rechargable battery that has so far lasted 3 months on one charge
5. Nearly identical looking to MacBook Pro keyboard (feels and sounds the same)
6. Set angle of iPad to whatever you want, just like with a MBP or any laptop
7. Perfect fit for iPad Air 2
8. Smartcover functionality for sleep and wake
9. Only $63.99 with Prime shipping

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PQBDQPO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 174

Kruz

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Looks like a nice keyboard case but not a fan of the Apple cutout on any device.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Looks like a nice keyboard case but not a fan of the Apple cutout on any device.

What "Apple cut out"? I ended up buying this case and I prefer it to the Belkin. Yes the Belkin is the beeter keyboard, back-lit is great, but the Logitech case is lovely and the keyboard is just as good.

----------

What "Apple cut out"? I ended up buying this case and I prefer it to the Belkin. Yes the Belkin is the beeter keyboard, back-lit is great, but the Logitech case is lovely and the keyboard is just as good.

*better

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Yeah, I am not a fan of it either, but I can live with it, considering the quality of the product and the realitively cheap price. If they got rid of that cutout though, I think they would sell even more outside of China.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Using this Ankar iPad Air 2 keyboard folio case, can't fault it, and apparently it has a six month battery life :)

It's on special offer at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker®-Blue...2&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+ipad+2+keyboard+folio

Looks just like my Belkin. I wonder if it is manufactured by the same company and then branded. I'm still pretty happy with my case. I really only use it when I know I'm going to do a lot of typing. It is extremely heavy with the case on it and when intake the iPad out, it feels super thin and light as a feather. Given my usage, I may have opted for a separate keyboard with a slot for the iPad.

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
NY
zagg rugged folio for ipad air 2 is insane. disconnects if you need it to and the keyboard is backlit and works flawlessly.

Kruz

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Insanely difficult to order! It has been out of stock for months everywhere.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Is there anything out there that is like the Microsoft Surface keyboard that would attach magnetically like the Smart Cover and double as a screen cover when closed? After using the Surface range from the original Surface Pro through to the Pro 3 now I find the way they do the keyboards is amazingly good and easy.

It is for my iPad Air 2 by the way.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Best Keyboard Case:

1. All aluminum construction, with  logo cutout on back (protects entire iPad, including edges)
2. iOS specific function keys
3. Backlit/multicolored keys
4. Rechargable battery that has so far lasted 3 months on one charge
5. Nearly identical looking to MacBook Pro keyboard (feels and sounds the same)
6. Set angle of iPad to whatever you want, just like with a MBP or any laptop
7. Perfect fit for iPad Air 2
8. Smartcover functionality for sleep and wake
9. Only $63.99 with Prime shipping

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PQBDQPO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you post some short video of the case/keyboard in action ?

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
My vote is for the Zagg Rugged Book Case. I had the Belkin Qode Ultimate for several months, while waiting for the Zagg. The only advantages the Belkin has over the Zagg is that it's slimmer, and can be used in portrait orientation.

Advantages of the Zagg over the Belkin are several:

1) No multiple keystrokes inserted when connected simultaneously to a BlueTooth speaker or headphones. The Belkin was virtually unusable when connected to any other BlueTooth devices.

2) Sleep function is not nearly as obtrusive. The Belkin goes to sleep in a few seconds, and requires you to wake it up by hitting shift or space before you can start typing again. The Zagg takes longer to go to sleep, and wakes up with your first key stroke, "remembering" the key stroke and transmitting it to the iPad once the (very short) BlueTooth handshake takes place.

3) The Zagg hinge allows you to perfectly position the iPad angle, instead of choosing between two preset angles. The base is heavy enough that it won't tip over when being used on your lap. (even in bed) The magnetic attachment between the base and the iPad case is much stronger. A positive effort is required to separate the two halves of the Zagg. I accidentally separated the halves of the Belkin on a regular basis.

4) The keyboard has a separate row for the Apple Functions, including Siri, Screen Lock, Home Button, FF, RR, Play/Pause, etc.

Many thanks to JoeTechie, who performed an in-depth review of the Zagg, encouraging me to take the leap and get the Zagg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.