Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I'm trying to get into biking, so I ordered this bike off of Amazon. Seemed like the perfect hybrid.

25hgx9l.jpg

Alton Compass

But it was a big mistake. It was an unwise decision to go with a no-name brand. The bike came mostly pre assembled, all I did was attach the front wheel, the handlebars, peddles, and saddle. So I get on it and try riding it and the chain was making clink noises and I could feel it in the peddles. Looks like the chain is rubbing against the adjacent cogs in the cassette. Also, the brakes are not centering properly. I am not mechanically inclined enough to tinker with these; and any good bike shop will charge me at least $50 if not more.

I'm in the process of trying to return it. I may sound entitled but a chain shouldn't do that out of the box.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I'm trying to get into biking, so I ordered this bike off of Amazon. Seemed like the perfect hybrid.

Alton Compass

But it was a big mistake. It was an unwise decision to go with a no-name brand. The bike came mostly pre assembled, all I did was attach the front wheel, the handlebars, peddles, and saddle. So I get on it and try riding it and the chain was making clink noises and I could feel it in the peddles. Looks like the chain is rubbing against the adjacent cogs in the cassette. Also, the brakes are not centering properly. I am not mechanically inclined enough to tinker with these; and any good bike shop will charge me at least $50 if not more.

I'm in the process of trying to return it. I may sound entitled but a chain shouldn't do that out of the box.

Does not have to be adjusted?

How much will it cost you to send the bike back?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
That I'm not sure of. I payed ~$26 in shipping when I ordered it. Fedex is telling me it will be $87 to send it back. It's a 36 lb box

I can understand your frustration I had a similar issue with my bike but you may as well take it to the shop. You won't break even by returning the bike

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I can understand your frustration I had a similar issue with my bike but you may as well take it to the shop. You won't break even by returning the bike

I am hoping since it was with amazon they would be on my side. Something I completely forgot to mention was that they sent the wrong frame size, which I didn't realize until I saw the sticker saying "51"; I ordered the 50mm.

The way I see it is either:

1. They cover my cost of fixing the bike.
2. They cover the cost of return shipping.

Amazon is typically good about being on the sellers side. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Alton on returning the bike.

Berlepsch

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
New fresh paint! Powdercoat fluorescent yellow!

Sorry, but somehow I don't get it. Is it even remotely possible to sit down on the saddle and operate the pedals at the same time? And if you need to stand to operate the bike, what do you need the front suspension for?

Anyway, thumbs up from me for using that drumstick for propping up the bike!

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

Alton Compass

Sounds like a case for supporting your local cycle dealer.

I've never understood this mail / on-line order thing. Sure it may be cheaper, but it comes at a cost. Your local dealer would have provided advice and service.

Can't understand the "trying to get into cycling" thing either. Just get a bike and ride it. In time you will find what type of bike and features suit your needs rather than your dreams.

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Nabooly,

Both of the issues you're having are almost certainly assembly issues...not a defective bike. Complex drivetrains, like the one on your bike, have a ton of adjustment to get everything aligned and tensioned properly, and it really does take someone that knows what they're doing to get everything dialed in. The brakes should be straightforward to align, but it's something you're going to have to do with *every* road bike that doesn't use discs when you put it together.

Both issues, but particularly the chain/derailleur, are serious safety issues and I wouldn't ride the bike till you get them sorted out.

Scatology

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
Quebec/Canada
Sorry, but somehow I don't get it. Is it even remotely possible to sit down on the saddle and operate the pedals at the same time? And if you need to stand to operate the bike, what do you need the front suspension for?

Anyway, thumbs up from me for using that drumstick for propping up the bike!

Haha! This kind of bike is used in a discipline that we need to stand up: Dirt jumping/street riding. We need low profile bikes to not have the frame/seat in the way for doing "tricks"

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
try ship bikes.com that should save you about half the price.

Thanks, but the seller was actually very nice about returning the bike. They only charged me $17 for return shipping. Much better than that $87 that I was quoted from Fedex.

Sounds like a case for supporting your local cycle dealer.

I've never understood this mail / on-line order thing. Sure it may be cheaper, but it comes at a cost. Your local dealer would have provided advice and service.

Can't understand the "trying to get into cycling" thing either. Just get a bike and ride it. In time you will find what type of bike and features suit your needs rather than your dreams.

I did exactly this. And by "getting into biking" I mean that I have not ridden a bike since my 16" Mongoose MTB, and I want this sport to be both recreational and for fitness. Yesterday I went into the bike shop and ordered a Cannondale Quick 6.....it won't be in until the 22nd however.

I suppose online ordering a bike is meant for someone experienced with bikes and knows how to tinker.

/"\/oo\/"\;20938499 said:
Nabooly,

Both of the issues you're having are almost certainly assembly issues...not a defective bike. Complex drivetrains, like the one on your bike, have a ton of adjustment to get everything aligned and tensioned properly, and it really does take someone that knows what they're doing to get everything dialed in. The brakes should be straightforward to align, but it's something you're going to have to do with *every* road bike that doesn't use discs when you put it together.

Both issues, but particularly the chain/derailleur, are serious safety issues and I wouldn't ride the bike till you get them sorted out.

The brakes would not align at all. Both front and rear were in contact with the rims. I tried hard but didn't want to force it into place.

Also, that cassette scares me. No way I want to mess with it; I'll just make it worse. But the drivetrain was pre assembled.

That said, I know that no bike is foolproof. So in time I hope I learn how to fix basic things.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks, but the seller was actually very nice about returning the bike. They only charged me $17 for return shipping. Much better than that $87 that I was quoted from Fedex.

I did exactly this. And by "getting into biking" I mean that I have not ridden a bike since my 16" Mongoose MTB, and I want this sport to be both recreational and for fitness. Yesterday I went into the bike shop and ordered a Cannondale Quick 6.....it won't be in until the 22nd however.

I suppose online ordering a bike is meant for someone experienced with bikes and knows how to tinker.

The brakes would not align at all. Both front and rear were in contact with the rims. I tried hard but didn't want to force it into place.

Also, that cassette scares me. No way I want to mess with it; I'll just make it worse. But the drivetrain was pre assembled.

That said, I know that no bike is foolproof. So in time I hope I learn how to fix basic things.

All bikes (even Trek) come somewhat assembled but require them to be put together, adjusted and checked before they are ready to ride. If you like the bike, take it to a shop to have them adjust it. The cost of your shipping is about the amount of a tune up in most cases. All of this being said, there is nothing wrong with buying a bike on-line, but you really need to have some mech skills (or a mech friend and beer) if you are going that route. ;) It isn't a matter of being fool proof, it is a matter of maintenance skills. My part-time fun job is working at a bike shop (it fuels my hobby) and I hang in the shop to learn as much as I can.

Here is a pick of my touring bike loaded.

11082506_10206059522545375_4693553800243755520_n.jpg

• Wow

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
No bike comes 100% assembled unless you buy it from the local bike shop, and guess what? They have to assemble them when they come in from the manufacturer/shipper. Buying a bike online can be had at a good savings if you know what you are doing when you get it. Every bike when new needs several adjustments to ensure that it is completely dialed in, and then needs regular maintenance once it is complete.

That said, I think that you will be much happier with the Cannondale over that no name bike. Component wise it will be better, and hopefully the fit will be better for you. Also having the support from your local shop will come in handy down the road.

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Haha oh well. Everybody buys bikes on the street from people. Bicycles just don't really have that much value (not including mountain bikes or fixies etc!).

Sure. But although my bike has no overly great value (like 300 Bucks) i have the frame number registered at several places so if someone steals it and sells it on the street i will have no problems taking it from the new "owner" without hesitation. Not even sorry. I would expect the same when buying a used bike, when i did so in the past i always checked them with the police first. And if somebody had already fiddled with the frame numbers in any way, painted them over or the bike did not even have one i did not buy it. Would be nice if everybody did so...

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Sure. But although my bike has no overly great value (like 300 Bucks) i have the frame number registered at several places so if someone steals it and sells it on the street i will have no problems taking it from the new "owner" without hesitation. Not even sorry. I would expect the same when buying a used bike, when i did so in the past i always checked them with the police first. And if somebody had already fiddled with the frame numbers in any way, painted them over or the bike did not even have one i did not buy it. Would be nice if everybody did so...

The most effective way I’ve found is actually with the bike shops. I just go to them and they write down the serial and keep it on file. I recovered my fat bike this way the gent brought it into one of the local shops to get it worked on and the owner recognized it and gave me a call.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
The most effective way I’ve found is actually with the bike shops. I just go to them and they write down the serial and keep it on file. I recovered my fat bike this way the gent brought it into one of the local shops to get it worked on and the owner recognized it and gave me a call.

So you would register the serial number with multiples shops in your area?

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany

Thats exactly what i do as well. Also our local police offers registration. Thats also really effective, cause they frequently check the numbers of a bike even if they stop you just for routine check or in case you did sth. wrong.

We were able to retrieve my brothers really expensive bike that got stolen. Some student had bought it via a local marketplace like craigslist. Should have been cautious in the first place since he paid a price that was way to low but i guess he couldn't pass it up. He was driving home from university and got in a routine check, 15mins later we had the bike back and he was walking home. Bet he will check better next time, cause that money was out of the window and he even got fined for buying stolen stuff.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
There are lots of wonderful cycling routes around San Jose, and the weather is very cooperative! Started road cycling two years ago. It's a wonderful way to enjoy the great outdoors.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1375-mod.jpg
    IMG_1375-mod.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 233

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
There are lots of wonderful cycling routes around San Jose, and the weather is very cooperative! Started road cycling two years ago. It's a wonderful way to enjoy the great outdoors.

That thing, my friend, is beautiful. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.