Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I find this product intriguing, both from a use and technological standpoint. As one poster observed, the price isn't much more than the Logitech BT keyboard/covers that I have been using.

robertfd

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
I'm really hoping this is legit. Extraordinary promise. The ergonomics are spot on. The form factor is spot on. The chording is open to debate but I won't be surprised if that debate will go on forever. Keyboard feel, quality of construction are definite questions.

For those of us already on 60% or smaller keyboards the real question is whether this will provide as good an experience as topre or cherry mx key switches. Many of the junkies have a love of heavy clicky keyboards. I've become quite accustomed to cherry browns.

That said the reduction in finger movement and the ability to effectively chord with the wrists at a natural angle are appealing. Not quit a Kinesis or a Datahand but a heck of a lot more practical and portable IF it works well.

A decent 60% custom or semi custom will generally run $3-400 once you are all in and it takes months to get it put together. The HHKB and Poker 2 crowd will watch this closely as will the stenographers.

The dvorak and colemak club will be watching this too.

People who think their $20 rubber dome keyboards are just fine won't be interested.

Fascinating use cases. Potentially brilliant product... Or a cloud of smoke and a bit of perfume.

I'm hope that this turns out to be a game changer in portable keyboards. I haven't swapped out my keyboard pcb for one with a bluetooth module and an arduino yet but if this is vapour my current keyboard will need some more soldering.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
The thing is the web site has a realtime order/production status. I am disappointed with the delays. That stated, I appreciate knowing what the status of my order is. So what if they don't email with every change, it's on their web site. Just look.

slacker361

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
The thing is the web site has a realtime order/production status. I am disappointed with the delays. That stated, I appreciate knowing what the status of my order is. So what if they don't email with every change, it's on their web site. Just look.

I don't mind that they didn't email that there was a change. My issue was that once I emailed them asking the question, the first email was not responded too, and I had to send another asking for clarification.

At this point it doesn't matter to me. As my order was CNX not by me but by someone at the company. If it was from my post - this would be incredible considering that they would have to research my user name and try to compare it with my real name. LOL sounds like someone has too much time on their hands....

Just as well, as I can see this ending up in the back of my desk drawer in two months, only to be thrown away after six months.....

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I'm really hoping this is legit. Extraordinary promise. The ergonomics are spot on. The form factor is spot on. The chording is open to debate but I won't be surprised if that debate will go on forever. Keyboard feel, quality of construction are definite questions.

For those of us already on 60% or smaller keyboards the real question is whether this will provide as good an experience as topre or cherry mx key switches. Many of the junkies have a love of heavy clicky keyboards. I've become quite accustomed to cherry browns.

That said the reduction in finger movement and the ability to effectively chord with the wrists at a natural angle are appealing. Not quit a Kinesis or a Datahand but a heck of a lot more practical and portable IF it works well.

A decent 60% custom or semi custom will generally run $3-400 once you are all in and it takes months to get it put together. The HHKB and Poker 2 crowd will watch this closely as will the stenographers.

People who think their $20 rubber dome keyboards are just fine won't be interested.

Fascinating use cases. Potentially brilliant product... Or a cloud of smoke and a bit of perfume.

I'm hope that this turns out to be a game changer in portable keyboards. I haven't swapped out my keyboard pcb for one with a bluetooth module and an arduino yet but if this is vapour my current keyboard will need some more soldering.

I am impressed by this post. It made me realize how little I know of keyboard enthusiasts.

Reactions: MareLuce

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
The magnificence of the internet is that it gives everyone a voice.

Even the quieter voices can out the truths that deserve to be heard.

With this freedom and power, also comes hazard. Anyone can claim anything, without any evidence. Even diametrically untrue things, carefully contrived for commercial interest.

They can do all of this anonymously, with an artificial persona, and no real identity at all. This new reality requires that we discern for ourselves what we consider to be credible.

A few personal observations based on logic -

A company that gives customers direct control over refunds at all times, does not suggest dishonesty.

A customer who is not pleased, cancels. They generally don't spend their time writing public diatribes misrepresenting dates and communications. (like this).

A poster who cites unrelated horror stories, and then knits them to their target, has a purpose in mind.

And, unfortunately, established players worried about a disruptive technology, really do pay operatives to discredit a promising change.

I think consumers would prefer to see effort go instead toward making great products.

My name is Mark Knighton, and I run WayTools.

Yeah, I'm a WayTools customer. You have my order and my trust, for now. I'm excited by the product, and can't wait to get mine. I'm not that happy about the extra delays, but it's not a big problem, I'll live with it.

I speak as a keyboard enthusiast, someone who quite happily drops over £150 on a decent mechanical keyboard.

Like others, though, the tone of some WayTools post like the above one detracts from your reputation, IMO. Please don't cede the moral high ground like this. I do understand your upset, but it's best to respond differently. I also think you could improve customer relations. I'll bet someone in your company has decent PR skills you could make use of?

----------

I am impressed by this post. It made me realize how little I know of keyboard enthusiasts.

You might be interested in this page: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/official-mechanical-keyboard-guide

It's very comprehensive and has a lot of information on keyboards. :)

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Oooh, fancy - lots of separate, detachable pieces... to lose.

I like the idea, but it's a bit... erm... "so what"? The magnets seem an outright gimmick, and having it in so many pieces just seems like they're inviting problems. WHY? WHY? Why does it need to be THAT small and made of different parts that detach? There seems to be a case of a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Nice engineering, but, in my most humble opinion, it seems a lot of overkill, and the benefit-to-price ratio seems small.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Oooh, fancy - lots of separate, detachable pieces... to lose.

I like the idea, but it's a bit... erm... "so what"? The magnets seem an outright gimmick, and having it in so many pieces just seems like they're inviting problems. WHY? WHY? Why does it need to be THAT small and made of different parts that detach? There seems to be a case of a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Nice engineering, but, in my most humble opinion, it seems a lot of overkill, and the benefit-to-price ratio seems small.

Why? So that you can have keyboard that fits in your pocket or purse alongside your phablet.

Thruxomatic

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
tocl said:

"I definitely understand concern over advertisements masquerading as posts. That does happen on a lot of sites that do paid reviews and sponsored posts, and it's disingenuous -- that's why we don't do it."

Honestly ... give me a break. You don't need to be offered money or goodies in order to be ethically compromised in your reporting. Reporters always offer favours for the "scoop" and getting early and privileged access to a product is more than enough to bring question to the proceedings. What did you have to offer to get that exclusive access. or what was the clear expectation of you if you agreed to their invitation? A favourable review? We may never know.

Regardless, here's some reality:

My Textblade order was placed on January 15th, and initially said that it would delivery March 26th. That pushed out with the supposed butterfly reworking to April 29th. Then, when that date neared, it pushed out again to May 13th. Now, in mid May, they've taken any references to an actual date off the construction and shipping tracker and just list "May". With shipping being what it is, unless it ships pretty much today, it's not arriving in May, so it's really going to arrive some time in June ... if it arrives at all.

A second piece of reality is that the WayTools account on their forum has been engaging in some pretty low-brow accusations with their customers, many of whom are complaining about the delays, a perceived lack of transparency, debating on whether Waytools is actually a functioning company with a real product, etc. Some of the accusations are that posters are competitors, colluding with each other, running multiple accounts, etc. and the general tone of the WayTools responses has been to wear a distinct chip on the shoulder and excessive defensiveness. It's almost as if they can't understand why people would be upset waiting five months for delivery of the product they paid for back in January. Several threads of complaints have been closed by the company, at this point, so they are actively looking to censor discussion around those delays. Many people in those forums are asking for verification of the company's location, verification of a working product ... people are pretty damn angry.

I cancelled my order yesterday. After seeing the atrocious lack of professionalism in that forum, I don't care of WayTools exists, or if the Textblade exists. No company that speaks to their customers the way that WayTools representative has spoken to them gets my money - period.

Last edited:

daverobeson

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2011
Same experience

I had largely the same experience as Thruxomatic. Ordered the TextBlade 1/13, after reading that it was in "final production." Nearing the time it was originally supposed to ship, a design change pushed the date back. Then again, and again. While the delays annoyed me (I thought I was pre-ordering a finished product, not funding a Kickstarter-like project), I was waiting relatively patiently.

And then I discovered their Rants forum. Give them credit for hosting it, but the responses from the WayTools rep were sort of amusing at first, then disturbing. The delays only concerned me a little; it was the very bizarre passive-aggressive nature of the rep's posts that made the whole thing seem maybe a little scammy. I cancelled my order last week. Again, credit where due: the refund was prompt.

If this keyboard ever appears in a store, I might buy it. But I think I'm done pre-ordering things for a while.

Rygaard

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Denmark
I can't think of a scenario where I would pay € 99 for this.

My apple BT keyboard, costed me more than this will cost me, and atm I have my Apple Keyboard in my bag, when i carry my iPad for meetings, to take notes - I pre-ordered this and hope it will replace my (compared to this) huge apple keyboard.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
My apple BT keyboard, costed me more than this will cost me, and atm I have my Apple Keyboard in my bag, when i carry my iPad for meetings, to take notes - I pre-ordered this and hope it will replace my (compared to this) huge apple keyboard.
I've never seen an Apple Wireless Keyboard cost over € 99.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
S

So how goes it man? Has it measured up? Please don't leave us in suspense. Since canceling my pre-order I've been wondering.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
The last tweet they made was in October. Get your refunds while you can. This product will never see the light of day.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
The last tweet they made was in October. Get your refunds while you can. This product will never see the light of day.

Last update on my order status page was November 25th. It does make me want to cancel though because we're coming up on what, a year now? That's kinda ridiculous.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I wish you were wrong: Someone just posted a purported grad student's CV which appears to show they managed the TextBlade production team ("first run of new magnetic folding keyboard" in Santa Monica, CA...) and "Analyzed factory-built turntable failures to identify and rectify mass-production failures."

"July 2015 - Aug 2015"

Pretty hard to justify hope at this stage.
Wow...

Well I'm now seriously looking at the foldable MS keyboard that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Not quite as small, but certainly pocketable... Wish it included a stand though.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Wow...

Well I'm now seriously looking at the foldable MS keyboard that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Not quite as small, but certainly pocketable... Wish it included a stand though.
Well, the MS keyboard is now freely available, which looks like a much better proposition than a vapourware product that doesn't seem like it will ship anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.