Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
I have to second this recommendation. Telegram seems to have solved most of the issues I've seen in other cross-platform apps. One feature I really love is that conversations REALLY STAY IN SYNC. If you log into Telegram on your computer or tablet, you will see *exactly* the same view that you had on your phone, including the same conversation history.

The various clients work really well, and they don't use weird hacks like using your phone as a proxy for their desktop app. They also recently implemented two-factor authentication if you desire it.

It's a great app.

The iPad app is pretty screwed up for me though. The conversations are all not ordered according to time and it doesn’t list the names of my contacts. It works fine on my Mac and iPhone though.

The problem is that people in my country default to Whatsapp. It’s quite remarkable how a third party application has become so popular in some parts of the world that it has even completely replaced SMS, and ironic how it’s now itself the obsolete messaging service that needs replacement.

I try to use Whatsapp as little as possible as long as it does not have cross device support.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
This is precisely why I'm so quick to tell people about it when I can. More users == more people recommending it. Eventually it hits critical mass and everyone has it.

Thanks for bringing Telegram up, I used it a while ago and uninstalled it because no one I know uses it.

I too dislike Whatsapp's UI and slow deployment.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Telegram on the other hand currently makes no revenue and runs entirely on investments and donations. Telegram’s starting capital came from the Russian ‘Facebook’ creator, who I think is still involved in the project. They have yet to announce a business model.

I didn't imagine there are people out there that are willing to throw their money into a non-profitable idea, if it works they will try to think of some way to make money out of it.

fireitfox

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2009
Whatsapp voice calling is working for me finally :)

The voice quality is good and hope it remains good in coming future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.