Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Has this been released on Android as well, in order to make cross-platform calls?

Android already had it weeks ago. It's been frustrating trying to WA call people with iPhone only to get the message "this person needs to update their version of Whatsapp in order to receive calls"

----------

You should check out Telegram - it's got everything WhatsApp has...
... except the users. A messaging app is useless if none of your contacts are using it

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
They had it for about a month already.

iOS 8's API doesn't allow any third-party app to do that, hopefully iOS 9 does :)

I honestly don't get Apple.

Why haven't they added that API yet? Just so they can add it in iOS 9 and hype it as big new revolutionary feature which they artificially delayed? Or because they don't want other apps to have the same features their natives apps have and compete with them.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Great, they finally added an option to suppress the read receipts, a feature Android users have for months now. WhatsApp is the only developer I am aware of that shows such disregard for iOS. Even the BlackBerry 10 app is updated regularly. It annoys me to no end that WhatsApp is practically the only app that most of your contacts will have, despite the fact that it isn’t the best app you can get, neither in terms of features, not security. It’s so cyclical. :(

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
You should check out Telegram - it's got everything WhatsApp has [though now it is missing VOIP, but I think that's on their roadmap], and it is 100% free, not owned by FB, and open source [plus it has a nice Mac app, iPad app, and other major desktop/mobile OS platforms]. I use it as a mini-dropbox like service [you can send up to 1GB files to others as well as longer than 90 second videos and audio voicememos].

I have to second this recommendation. Telegram seems to have solved most of the issues I've seen in other cross-platform apps. One feature I really love is that conversations REALLY STAY IN SYNC. If you log into Telegram on your computer or tablet, you will see *exactly* the same view that you had on your phone, including the same conversation history.

The various clients work really well, and they don't use weird hacks like using your phone as a proxy for their desktop app. They also recently implemented two-factor authentication if you desire it.

It's a great app.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I have to second this recommendation. Telegram seems to have solved most of the issues I've seen in other cross-platform apps. One feature I really love is that conversations REALLY STAY IN SYNC. If you log into Telegram on your computer or tablet, you will see *exactly* the same view that you had on your phone, including the same conversation history.

The various clients work really well, and they don't use weird hacks like using your phone as a proxy for their desktop app. They also recently implemented two-factor authentication if you desire it.

It's a great app.

I like Telegram and all, but unfortunately it has no users. No body knows about it. I kept it on my phone ever since it was released, I have five people that I know on it, and I honestly don't think any of them are still using it. I don't dislike whatsapp, but I really wish they have a desktop version. Having to find my phone to answer whasapp messages is annoying, they really need to just integrate that with the computer already. Being able to send/receive iMessage/text message on the computer is probably one the best implementation by Apple.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The various clients work really well, and they don't use weird hacks like using your phone as a proxy for their desktop app.

It’s not really a hack, it’s just how it works. iMessage, to my knowledge, works in the same way. They use the servers as relays and don’t store the messages for a longer time. Telegram does the opposite. The difference between WhatsApp and iMessage is that WhatsApp doesn’t want to deal with multiple clients and start synchronising messages between them. Even Apple hasn’t figured it all out, e.g., you can still receive audible notifications on your iPhone even though you’ve just read the message on your Mac. It requires a lot more server interactions to get that right and for 800 million users that’s probably a huge investment. Hence the streaming option that WhatsApp now introduced. It shows an unwillingness to change the underlying structure of the service.

Last edited:

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
After iOS 8 and Mavericks, Whatsapp became an antiquated app and practically the only one that won't allow me to leave my phone to charge somewhere at home and just be on my Mac.

Calls come through, FaceTime, messages, iMessages, email, facebook, instagram, any website (obviously), Twitter... but not Whatsapp.

I really thought they would have smart enough people to bring a desktop solution for iOS users by now.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Great update. Liking the extensions and the fact images can now be added quickly. Previously it took around 30 seconds with a large photo library!

Would be nice if they could get a desktop version working for iPhone users. There must be a workaround...

hermesp4r

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Downgrade

Someone knows a tweak or method to not upgrade whatsapp? I was really happy using 2.11.12, but it expired and forced me to update to 2.11.16 and it's terrible slow on my 4s. I have both ipa versions on my PC, just in case. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, but I cannot find nothing like that anywhere.

thomasluke231

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2013
Whatsapo take forever to update their app.
Whatsapp is a popular that used by 8 million of users, I don't understand why to update their app so slow.
This update even didn't update with actionable notifications. Moreover, where is the web app?
I really want to have a apple watch app for what's app. But I now think I may need to wait til 2017

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Might just be me, but I've never understood the point of getting another app that already seems to be covered by apps native to the phone. What apps like these have over the regular apps already on the phone is something I must be missing, or rather not as I haven't seen the need for one. Can someone tell me what I'm missing that makes it so special?

sunfire7

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Might just be me, but I've never understood the point of getting another app that already seems to be covered by apps native to the phone. What apps like these have over the regular apps already on the phone is something I must be missing, or rather not as I haven't seen the need for one. Can someone tell me what I'm missing that makes it so special?

Maybe not in your country/area, but in mexico for example everyone uses it. So you are forced to use it as well, here not everyone has iphones to use iMessages, and even iphone users use whatsapp because everybody (android and iOS users) use it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

There is a native app on the phone that can send messages or pictures or videos and now make audio calls to other people on various different devices only using data (mobile or WiFi)?

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Great, they finally added an option to suppress the read receipts, a feature Android users have for months now. WhatsApp is the only developer I am aware of that shows such disregard for iOS. Even the BlackBerry 10 app is updated regularly. It annoys me to no end that WhatsApp is practically the only app that most of your contacts will have, despite the fact that it isn’t the best app you can get, neither in terms of features, not security. It’s so cyclical. :(

But, comes with a catch. If you turn off you cannot see other peoples read receipts. Lol. I mean what sort of a mentality is this.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
How does Telegram and Whatsapp make money?

Apple's Facetime problem is that its locked into the Apple ecosystem. Apple must understand not everything has to be locked in their ecosystem. They kind of did it with Safari+itunes for Windows.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
-iOS 8 share extension: Share photos, videos, and links right to WhatsApp from other apps.
After half a year we finally get this. Before we talk about the Apple Watch support, I'm still waiting for iOS to support WhatsApp Web.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
This is precisely why I'm so quick to tell people about it when I can. More users == more people recommending it. Eventually it hits critical mass and everyone has it.

Count me in as a supporter of Telegram. Great app and service. More people need to use it. :cool:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

They don’t, at least not enough to sustain themselves.

WhatsApp used to have a one-time purchase of $0.99 until they introduced subscriptions, but they only charge users after the first year (and it’s easy to get around that, simply by creating a new account). They’ve added hundreds of millions of customers in the last twelve months that haven’t paid anything yet and overall they have a negative cashflow. It’s pretty much investments and losses at this point, but since the takeover by Facebook that doesn’t seem to be a problem for the time being.

Telegram on the other hand currently makes no revenue and runs entirely on investments and donations. Telegram’s starting capital came from the Russian ‘Facebook’ creator, who I think is still involved in the project. They have yet to announce a business model.

ChittagongBoy

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Cant Call

Did anyone got the feature working?

Updated the App on 4/21 as soon as I seen the post here, I have read that its rolling out slowly - but as of today 4/22 0932 Eastern it is still not available -

device : ip6

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
This is precisely why I'm so quick to tell people about it when I can. More users == more people recommending it. Eventually it hits critical mass and everyone has it.

Haha, this is another issue all together. Unfortunately, I think the bitterness of not giving advice to people has slowly caught on to me. In general I have noticed that people likes to learn things the hard way. Even if I were to tell them that Telegram is a much more security method of communication, it really wouldn't matter to them.

My best friend, is a huge fan of backing up his data (work, pictures etc...). Why? His house was broken into last year and of all the things stolen was his laptop, which has his pictures and business files on it (he has his own business so it's rather important). But guess what, before that he won't even pay a diem for any backup service, and I have been telling him for years that he should. Anyways, I digress, advice are really only useful to those who seeks it.

sunfire7

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
But, comes with a catch. If you turn off you cannot see other peoples read receipts. Lol. I mean what sort of a mentality is this.
To force you not deactivate it, same as last time online status

----------

Apple's Facetime problem is that its locked into the Apple ecosystem. Apple must understand not everything has to be locked in their ecosystem. They kind of did it with Safari+itunes for Windows.

Safari not anymore, itunes, well they dont have other choice

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
how come whatsapp is finding it so diffcult in implementing and launching these services. i recall these features being available as early as iOS3 on iPhone 3G fring, tango, nimbuzz etc. and call quality was decent enough. Agreed whatsapp's user base is large but still i find it difficult to understand.

----------

Steve himself said it to make it open standard at iPhone 4 launch but what happened to that, i dont know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.