Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
After reading about all of the unhappiness with the new Photos app, I held off on updating to 10.10.3 until last night. I was under the impression that one could install the OS X update and that Photos wouldn't import one's photos until the app was first launched, but that was bad info. Something called "Photos Agent" started hogging my CPU usage as soon as the update was completed, and it turns out it was importing my pictures to Photos without me even launching the Photos app.

I still haven't launched the new Photos app, but when I launched iPhoto a minute ago, a dialogue box appeared that asked me which photo library I wanted to use (I have only one), and then it warned me that my photos have already been imported to Photos and that any changes made in iPhoto won't appear in Photos.

As mentioned in other threads, I still have a lot of work I need to do in iPhoto. Specifically, I need to add location info. to hundreds of pictures before I transfer them into Photos, which — at least for now — lacks the ability to add or edit location/GPS info.

How do I start over as far as Photos is concerned? If I simply delete the "Photos Library" file from the /Pictures folder, will that cause a complete re-import of my iPhoto library if/when I launch Photos, or have my photos physically been moved into that file/directory, and deleting the file means I'm deleting my photo library?

Thanks for all feedback.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The 10.10.3 process upgraded your library but you have the original library, so just keep using iPhoto on that library. Then when you're done and you decide to use Photos, open up photos and point that to your old library to import/convert.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
The 10.10.3 process upgraded your library but you have the original library, so just keep using iPhoto on that library. Then when you're done and you decide to use Photos, open up photos and point that to your old library to import/convert.

Thanks. Should I delete the current "Photos Library" to force a full re-import? I'm worried that I'll make a lot of changes in iPhoto and then have those changes wiped out the first time I launch Photos.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks. Should I delete the current "Photos Library" to force a full re-import? I'm worried that I'll make a lot of changes in iPhoto and then have those changes wiped out the first time I launch Photos.

I'd rename it, I hate deleting anything. When you're satisfied with the new library, then delete it.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I'd rename it, I hate deleting anything. When you're satisfied with the new library, then delete it.

Okay, thanks. I just want to make sure that Photos does a full re-import when I finally decide to start using that app instead of iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.