Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The single most important thing I've learned for Boss fights is to be aware of/use the terrain.

Souls games are set up pretty precisely IMHO for the "arenas" you find bosses in.

For example, I was unable to defeat Father G before using terrain to my advantage. The first few fights were comical, as he's so aggressive, and I was trying to get my hits in while he's pummeling me. After thinking about what I could do better, it clicked, and was more of a moment of "remember this is a Souls game-be aware of your surroundings!"

I tend to upgrade endurance first, to be able to move around the opponents, and still be able to dash in, land a few hits, and get out of there. After that is skill, then vitality, then strength usually. Suits the way I play.

Managed to kill those Shadows of Yharham (sp?) yesterday, after remembering that first point. Again, my first few fights with them were comical, and they consisted of me simply running around trying to avoid them for slightly longer periods of time. Then, I changed strategy, used the terrain, and was more aggressive rather than defensive. Worked out well!

Good luck-let us know if you'd like any tips-you are soon to be hooked, I predict....
OMG... Your never going to believe it... My progress today & this evening.

Killed Cleric Beast :D
Killed F.Gascgoine (like you said using terrain (getting behind headstones / lobbing Molotov's / before getting few hits in when he's recovering)

Got to Cathedral ward, killed a number of those creepy guys with lamps, the big Giant guy and made my way down to light the lamp in Old Yarnham !!!!

I'm resting my game here for moment. But wow. All that farming, learning the ropes is now finally paying dividends and I'm making much greater progress.

I'm so glad I gave this a second chance. The game has not become easy by any means, but its become manageable and more importantly enjoyable.....

Its finally hooked me good & proper.... :) :D

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
How did you like it? I bought a used copy at Gamestop for $0.99 a month ago. Yep. ninety-nine cents :cool: It's deep down in my backlog unfortunately.

I thoroughly enjoyed Gears 2. My expectations were pretty low going in. I finished Gears 1 about this time last year and I didn't think it was that great. The gameplay was fine, but the story was disjointed and didn't keep me very interested.

Gears 2's story I feel is much better: clearly presented, interesting, even a little emotional at times. The gameplay is still great: plenty of varied action, interesting locations.

For $0.99 you can't go wrong! maybe move it up a few spots in the backlog :)

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
OMG... Your never going to believe it... My progress today & this evening.

Killed Cleric Beast :D
Killed F.Gascgoine (like you said using terrain (getting behind headstones / lobbing Molotov's / before getting few hits in when he's recovering)

Got to Cathedral ward, killed a number of those creepy guys with lamps, the big Giant guy and made my way down to light the lamp in Old Yarnham !!!!

I'm resting my game here for moment. But wow. All that farming, learning the ropes is now finally paying dividends and I'm making much greater progress.

I'm so glad I gave this a second chance. The game has not become easy by any means, but its become manageable and more importantly enjoyable.....

Its finally hooked me good & proper.... :) :D

Now you're done for!

Did you find any proper armor yet? It does help.

Father G is one of the harder boss fights in the game, but once you figure him out, he's a great fight. I made a couple new characters just to fight him, and also try to help people with him. I just love that fight, and the environment there. Also the story/lore associated with him...

I'm having a bit of trouble with Rom, but I can see that he's manageable. The area leading up to him troubled me a bit, especially one enemy there....

But it's all worth it, and like you, I take breaks. Also find those alternate characters I've made help me feel like I'm continuing to make progress.

Your likely next boss is a frustrating one, but manageable now that you know what to look for. It's a great new area that you're in

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Got a New 3DS XL recently. Playing 'Fire Emblem: Awakening' and 'Mario Kart 7'.

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
What game are you playing currently?

After finishing Bloodborne and playin some Hours in NG plus, i also started to play Dark Souls 2 on PS4. And it is a lot of fun. Even if the graphic isnt as good as in Bloodborne, it is a fantastic and Epic World.

I Love Games from Fromsoftware!

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
After finishing Bloodborne and playin some Hours in NG plus, i also started to play Dark Souls 2 on PS4. And it is a lot of fun. Even if the graphic isnt as good as in Bloodborne, it is a fantastic and Epic World.

I Love Games from Fromsoftware!

I agree, I actually like the graphics in the PS4 version of Dark Souls II as compared to the PS3 version (where I spent dozens of hours), but I actually preferred the way the enemies were layed out in the PS3 version.

FromSoft keeps putting out amazing games, and I hope they continue. Each game to me has been a masterpiece (least favorite has to be DS2, though)

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I'm shelving Crash Bandicoot. Mostly due to the horrible save system. I'm about a little over 1/2 way through it and I think I have to be done. It's irritating to be forced to replay a bunch of challenging levels over and over again because you managed to die on the "bonus round" (after collecting 3 of those girl bandicoot? things during some levels) and therefore losing your only save opportunity. What kind of convoluted mess of a save system is that? I have read that the save system in Crash 2 is way better, so I'm looking forward to that when I start on Crash 2 shortly.

For now I'm going to play the original Metroid on my 3DS's Virtual Console.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Currently playing one of the most controversially reviewed and mixed opinions game ever - HAZE for PS3

The reason it got such negative reviews were for A.) The technical issues - man, stutter, frame drops, texture pop-in, anything you can thing of, this game has it. B.) The Mantel morons sound like brain dead buffoons - but THAT'S THE POINT - you're SUPPOSED to hate them, and it all alludes to how f(#*@$ed up the drug Nectar makes you. A lot of reviewers probably had no idea that this was the idea behind the introduction to the story.

Things like "Well our meds have been stolen, but I GUESS you can check on the pilot to see if he's OK" - At first you may be thinking WHAT? But then witty things like this start to click and you start realizing the brilliant writing.

Bottomline - A damn great story - really, really well done all things considered. You HAVE to push past the moronic jocks of Mantel and get to the Resistance before you really start to realize the incredible jab this game takes at how messed up governments and rulers can be in the real world - which is exactly what this game is about. You'll be stunned at the plot twists etc.

Such an underrated game.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Currently playing one of the most controversially reviewed and mixed opinions game ever - HAZE for PS3

I remember reading reviews for that game back when it released. All the hype leading up to it supposedly being the "Halo killer" and all the reviews I read totally hating it after release.
I've thought about getting it recently just to see what it's really like.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I remember reading reviews for that game back when it released. All the hype leading up to it supposedly being the "Halo killer" and all the reviews I read totally hating it after release.
I've thought about getting it recently just to see what it's really like.

Yeah dude so many memories replaying it. I highly recommend a play through! Just remember, again, you GOT to push through the Mantel morons (which are that way on purpose, to a make you hate them etc. and to allude to the drug messing up their minds) and it's a very solid story.

Report back if you play it, yeah?

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Yeah dude so many memories replaying it. I highly recommend a play through! Just remember, again, you GOT to push through the Mantel morons (which are that way on purpose, to a make you hate them etc. and to allude to the drug messing up their minds) and it's a very solid story.

Report back if you play it, yeah?

For sure. I put it on my "to buy list". It'll be awhile before I get to it though. I'm still about 20 games deep in my backlog. Lol!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Oh man I was just thinking about Haze a few days ago! I bought it when a chain game retailer was going out of business, I scooped up loads of games I just wanted to own like Haze, Lair, Red Steel. That was a few years ago and never got round to playing them. Your post makes me want to fire it up!

When it launched I was too caught up on it being a "Halo killer" to really get into it.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
PS4 arrived today so playing my first PS4 game The Order:1886

Enjoying it so far :)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I have Ryse coming next for XB1.

Didnt get flattering reviews but looks like a game I will enjoy.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Woo I just finished the original Metroid! Only 20 some years after first playing it, lol! I did have a little help, though, from the virtual console's 1 save state and a map. I most likely wouldn't have finished it without those 2 things. I started out by not using a map but after several hours of aimless wandering I caved. Some of those power ups I would have never found.

I'm really starting to love the Metroid series. Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion are near the top of my to play list.. and Metroid Zero Mission if it ever gets released on the NA virtual console....

Got Metroid 2 to get into but I'm going to try Crash Bandicoot 2 first (hopefully the save system isn't as crap as Crash 1..).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
State of Decay: YOSE Xbox One edition. So far i'm enjoying it although it does have its problems.

Bless
I saw you were playing it so I bought it... Though haven't actually played it yet as I'm still in bloodborne :)

----------

I have Ryse coming next for XB1.

Didnt get flattering reviews but looks like a game I will enjoy.
I bought it cheap.... Its pretty much rubbish tbh.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
more Bloodborne stuff

I have not been able to play all that much, with two young daughters and work taking up so much time, but I've made a bit of progress:

Killed Rom the spider-very frustrating fight, and I requested help, but got tired of waiting, and ended up killing him myself.

Killed a very tough hunter in a certain location that only shows up in a particular storyline....tough fight!

Am now trying to understand the chalice dungeons, and have done several. They quickly get very tough around level 3 or so

Love, love, love this game!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am waiting for Ryse to get here from Gamefly but in the meantime I have been playing Child of Light on XB1 since it was free.

It's a beautiful game but this is not my genre and it gets pretty repetitive with the battles. It is pretty solid but dont think I will finish it.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
totally forgot Wolfenstein: The Old Blood gets released today. WOOT WOOT

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I saw you were playing it so I bought it... Though haven't actually played it yet as I'm still in bloodborne :)

It's not bad at all really but the driving control is trash and I wish it had some sort of coop.

I'm actually on my third play through of Bloodborne and I'm still finding new things. I didn't expect the chalice dungeons to have unique boss fights so I'm truly surprised by that..just wish coop wasn't such a headache in there.

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.