Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Just moved the iPhoto quick link to my dock and still works even Photos Ported photos into it from iPhoto and i'm on 10.10.3 .. Just gives you a pop-up window of choices... thats it .. no system crash ... iPhoto just won't get anymore updates .. iPhoto stuck @ 9.6.1 ... Wont go to 9.6.2 etc .. Photos is plan for foreseeable future..

Only way to "truly" delete iPhoto is drag the app to trash and emtpy the bin and delete the app from Time machine also ... System can't physically delete an app per se ... User is required to do such action ....

graley

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Australia
Photos app

Did all those who complain about Photos hold down the option key when launching Photos ?
If not, better try it now and select the IPhoto library of your choice,

debanoff

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
I'm With You on this "Upgrade"

So Apples great UI 'design' team strikes again.
This time they've 'improved' iPhoto by renaming it Photos and making the UI a big white square with borderless thumbnail images on it.
Big whoop de ****in do!
Must have taken all their greatest designers to come up with that masterpiece!
An absolute joke of an 'upgrade' that you can't even alter.
Still, at least I have some new 'emojis' do display my disatisfaction.
Absolutely, shockingly bad...just terrible. :mad:

UPDATE: Although removed from your dock by the update, the iPhoto app is still there (thank God), so you can at least go back to it (phew).
Shocker of an 'upgrade'.

Thank you so much for letting me know IPhoto was still out there. I do NOT like my photos being organized in some random fashion by some stupid program. I was in a panic all morning until I saw this post. Please ... no automatic major changes like this!!!

BillParkinson

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
Just ran into this new Photos OSX CR.app

Gripe #1:

In iPhoto the primary organization unit was the Event.

There are no Events in Photos OSX.

Therefore all of my photos are immediately disorganized.

Gripe #2

There are no rating Stars. Really? Really?

Gripe #3

Translation of Smart Albums to Albums is a dud. A few of my smart albums had all sorts of wrong photos in them.

Result:

Yet another waste of valuable SSD disk space for Yosemite (aka Mac Vista)

I deleted the photos.app (right click to get info and change permissions for "everyone" to read and write, then you can delete it!) I then deleted the photos library.

iPhoto still works just fine. Just drag it onto the bottom launcher from the finder / applications.

This joins some other Mac Vista winners like Launch Pad and Game Center in the bit bucket. Again I dont want to waste valuable SSD space on those.

Oh and did I mention that the newer Pages app screws up the pagination of older pages files???

Dont get me started about handoff crap.

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
For a few $$ you can download from the App Store the "Photos for OSX" tutor from TheMacU.. Take a neutral approach and I tell you, I learned a lot..It is not that bad as a lot of people here want you to believe..

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
For a few $$ you can download from the App Store the "Photos for OSX" tutor from TheMacU.. Take a neutral approach and I tell you, I learned a lot..It is not that bad as a lot of people here want you to believe..

I've bought and used MacU apps in the past, I find them excellent for walking you through complex, optional apps.

I don't however feel like paying for such an explanation of what should be an easily understood part of the OS, the fact there is a market for it means IMHO that Apple have failed, Apple have introduced a change that requires $$$ to resolve (even if it is education) - that bill should be at Apple's door.

And yes, its relatively easy to take $5 off a million people...and that may be conservative.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I genuinely cannot see me continuing using a Mac for very much longer. I think when my current iMac is up for renewal it won't get replaced.

The reason for this is because I just don't like the direction OS X is being taken. Photos being the latest debacle. Who thought that Photos was a step forward? I dislike just about everything about it. Now all my photos are stored by dates. This is madness, example - I have given my holiday photos a group name e.g. Summer Holidays 2014. What Photos has managed to do is dispense with the title and put all the photos I had taken on that two week holiday into separate days.

Had I wanted them listed as separate days/dates I wouldn't have given them a group name of Summer Holidays 2014. How is one supposed to run a slide show when the photos are in separate days?

Thank goodness for Google and Picasa. From what I can see Windows 10 is shaping up into a pretty good OS and I think if Apple continue with this present madness of messing up OS X then MS will be getting my money again next time around. :mad:

Windows 8.1 was what made me switch but i still run bootcamp. I can understand why you think the grass is greener on the other side but windows will manage to mess up your life just as bad. I personally only find photos for mac annoying because of the iCloud options, yes i can backup by photos to my computer but if i wanted to keep sync the other way i would need extra iCloud storage despite it being only the extra photos in the OS X app that would send it over the 5GB.

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
Gripe #1:
In iPhoto the primary organization unit was the Event.
There are no Events in Photos OSX.
Therefore all of my photos are immediately disorganized.
I thought this until I opened the sidebar to show the folder system, then expanded iPhoto Events, then simply dragged all the folders out of there to the root. Back to the same organization I had in Aperture in 10-15 minutes. Overall I like the Photos/iCloud Library workflow much better.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Is there a way for me to get iPhoto now that it's no longer available in the app store? I never had it and therefore it's not in my account.

MacSinceLisa

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
Switzerland
So Apples great UI 'design' team strikes again.
This time they've 'improved' iPhoto by renaming it Photos and making the UI a big white square with borderless thumbnail images on it.
Big whoop de ****in do!
Must have taken all their greatest designers to come up with that masterpiece!
An absolute joke of an 'upgrade' that you can't even alter.
Still, at least I have some new 'emojis' do display my disatisfaction.
Absolutely, shockingly bad...just terrible. :mad:

UPDATE: Although removed from your dock by the update, the iPhoto app is still there (thank God), so you can at least go back to it (phew).
Shocker of an 'upgrade'.
[doublepost=1512678402][/doublepost]Totally agree ! What arrogance to "force" Photo on users, by simply removing iPhoto - without at least offering both as options - when users have trusted Apple, and organized thousands of their pictures on iPhoto software (including fantastic EVENTS tool); hours of work put into structure and titles, all to the bin ? Users take ownership by using software - so who does the design-team think they are to radically dis-own users of their work. By the look of things they aren't trustworthy.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
This is a 2yr out of date argument...most peeps are (or were...) even more upset at Aperture dropping out of support as that was a <paid> app.

But al ancient history TBH

This is a 2yr out of date argument... But al ancient history TBH
To some people it is not 'ancient history', it's a serious, live issue & you should respect that. Just because an issue doesn't exist for you doesn't make it a non-issue.
I too find this forced shift to the truly appalling Photos app infuriating. Whether it was a paid or 'free' app is irrelevant.
For many people this is an issue about trust & respect - Apple was entrusted with something very important - peoples digital memories - and then they changed the game leaving people without the tool they have had for over a decade.
I've been using iPhoto since the first versions & have an enormous library that in iPhoto is easy to browse, navigate, search & create Events etc. Everything that Photos can't do.
When Photos was first discussed & Aperture (which I had bought) was EOL'ed the thought, the hope was that iPhoto would become a more advanced option picking up some aperture features & becoming more powerful.
Instead what was delivered was an app that is an enormous retrograde step in organisation etc that is seemingly designed purely for iCloud users who do everything in iOS. It's like an iOS app ported to the desktop.
Just simple things like;
- no option to show file names in the main view, you have to go to each individual image.
- no ability to stack images behind a key photo in the main view so you have to scroll through ridiculous numbers of images to find the next 'roll'.
- no 'Events'-like option etc etc...
Right now I am seriously considering buying an old MacMini as an extra machine, loading a pre-photos version of the OS on it & leaving it in an OS time warp as our image handling machine exporting images to our new iMacs as required.
That's just ridiculous.
To quote the Apple Dictionary...
" progress - noun |ˈprəʊɡrɛs| [mass noun]
2 - development towards an improved or more advanced condition...
"
That's the infuriating thing about Photos. It may be smarter under the hood & have a flashy GUI but realistically, from the POV of user experience & capabilities, it is not progress. It's a serious, retrograde step.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
To some people it is not 'ancient history', it's a serious, live issue & you should respect that. Just because an issue doesn't exist for you doesn't make it a non-issue.
I too find this forced shift to the truly appalling Photos app infuriating. Whether it was a paid or 'free' app is irrelevant.
For many people this is an issue about trust & respect - Apple was entrusted with something very important - peoples digital memories - and then they changed the game leaving people without the tool they have had for over a decade.
I've been using iPhoto since the first versions & have an enormous library that in iPhoto is easy to browse, navigate, search & create Events etc. Everything that Photos can't do.
When Photos was first discussed & Aperture (which I had bought) was EOL'ed the thought, the hope was that iPhoto would become a more advanced option picking up some aperture features & becoming more powerful.
Instead what was delivered was an app that is an enormous retrograde step in organisation etc that is seemingly designed purely for iCloud users who do everything in iOS. It's like an iOS app ported to the desktop.
Just simple things like;
- no option to show file names in the main view, you have to go to each individual image.
- no ability to stack images behind a key photo in the main view so you have to scroll through ridiculous numbers of images to find the next 'roll'.
- no 'Events'-like option etc etc...
Right now I am seriously considering buying an old MacMini as an extra machine, loading a pre-photos version of the OS on it & leaving it in an OS time warp as our image handling machine exporting images to our new iMacs as required.
That's just ridiculous.
That's the infuriating thing about Photos. It may be smarter under the hood & have a flashy GUI but realistically, from the POV of user experience & capabilities, it is not progress. It's a serious, retrograde step.

Yes, it's an ongoing issue, but for a smaller and smaller group of people. And posting in a zombie thread isn't always the best practice. For example, Photos has improved since 2015 and so have alternatives. And iPhotos still works. Just saying....

But there are tons of alternatives to both Aperture and Photos (and iPhotos). They can do pretty much everything iPhotos did. Sure, some of the interface, commands, etc might be a bit different, but the core organization isn't that much different. You can even do some of that in Photos now. And on the editing end, check out RAW Power. It's an extension much like the interface Aperture used for RAW images (no surprise, it's from the former Aperture guy at Apple). Point being, there might be a solution without having to leave everything behind on decaying hardware.

Apple has deprecated lots of software and hardware over the years, so one always needs to be able to move on. It will happen again in the future I expect. At least it creates an opportunity for some good developers to fill the needs of those left out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.