Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Ugh. If you haven't deleted your iPhoto library then you can revert to it. I moved all my images (600GB), to Capture One a couple of months ago. So glad I did.

Well it's just fortunate that Picasa does a better job with them than iPhoto or Photos. Picasa provides me with an accurate timeline, preserves titles and much more.

I can understand people who have all Apple devices liking the Photos App if you want things in sync. However, despite what Apple may think, not everyone has all Apple devices.

Although I have a number of devices I don't want Apps like Photos syncing everything so I have it switched off. My iPad is as empty as it was when new three years ago.

I had high hopes for Photos but man... what a dog of an app.
I really don't see anything that special about the editing features & as a library tool it totally & utterly sucks.
Moments are just a joke.
Example... On one date it has combined all the photos my daughter took while goofing off with the iPad with the photos I took for work on my 5D.
I cannot split these without having to create Albums.
And hello... I NEED to see file/image names under the images...
Also when I see my iPhoto events how the hell do I change the sort order to newest first? Every time I go looking for my newest event I have to scroll through over 1,700 events.

Worryingly when I then opened iPhoto it gave me an alert splash-screen that said something about my library now being converted to Photos so choose a library...

Memo to Apple... I did not spend nearly 4K on a desktop machine to have it act like a giant iPad...

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Okay now I'm getting ***** pissed!

I was able to obtain iPhoto 9.5, and iPhoto 9.6 (the most recent) and neither will launch!! They both (and the older version I used on Wednesday) have the the white cross through them!

Any idea how to get them to work??

I usually don't bad mouth Apple but this is BS.

Try to update iPhoto to version 9.6.1 through the app store in Yosemite. 9.6.1 was the last adaptation to improve import to Photos.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Things are looking up. I thought I would try to restore iPhoto and my iPhoto library using Time Machine.

For whatever reason the TM on my Time Capsule said it couldn't complete the task. Just for interest I tried doing the same from a TM backup on my NAS.

Completed without issue :D I now have iPhoto and my iPhoto library up and running as though it had never been away.

Although you can't delete the Photos app from OS X, you can delete the Photos Library. I have done so and Photos will be left in the Applications folder never to darken my doorstep again. :p

Last edited:

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
/
Okay... si I've removed Photos from my Dock & pit iPhoto back but how do I stop Photos from opening whenever I plug my phone or camera in?

I have not used Photos.app, but in iPhoto it's in the Preferences, first tab. If that is where you find it, well …

----------

Although you can't delete the Photos app from OS X

If you are willing to use the command line [caution, &c.], I wot that
Code:
sudo rm -r /Applications/Photos.app
will delete it.

In case you are displeased by the results, probably you can use a third-party app like Pacifist to get in to the 10.10.3 installer and reinstall Photos.app. There are doubtless other ways. I mention the one I know.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Jesus

So Apples great UI 'design' team strikes again.
This time they've 'improved' iPhoto by renaming it Photos and making the UI a big white square with borderless thumbnail images on it.
Big whoop de ****in do!
Must have taken all their greatest designers to come up with that masterpiece!
An absolute joke of an 'upgrade' that you can't even alter.
Still, at least I have some new 'emojis' do display my disatisfaction.
Absolutely, shockingly bad...just terrible. :mad:

UPDATE: Although removed from your dock by the update, the iPhoto app is still there (thank God), so you can at least go back to it (phew).
Shocker of an 'upgrade'.

Good god, then go buy something better.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I think Faces is working much better. However, I've had several crashes. Overall, this is a step sideways, not forward (since I'm too broke to afford enough iCloud storage).

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope

I haven't installed the update yet. One of the features I love in iPhoto is the way it creates events automatically when you drag and drop etc.

Does it not do that in Photos then? Do you have to manually add an 'album' each time and add the photos?

I personally love iPhoto. I've got 50GB of photos in it, and it's not sluggish at all (SSD) so I'm glad they've kept iPhoto still....I can't see myself leaving it unless they remove it

No, it auto-sorts by location and date, which is pretty similar to events.

Didn't everyone hate Events at first, too?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
And hello... I NEED to see file/image names under the images...

You can view titles when you check View > Metadata > Titles and hover over a single picture.

Okay... si I've removed Photos from my Dock & pit iPhoto back but how do I stop Photos from opening whenever I plug my phone or camera in?

When Photos is running with a device plugged in, there is a checkbox on the upper left-hand side on the import tab. Uncheck that and it shouldn’t start automatically anymore. You have to look for a similar setting in iPhoto preferences.

Although you can't delete the Photos app from OS X, you can delete the Photos Library. I have done so and Photos will be left in the Applications folder never to darken my doorstep again. :p

Photos is just ~50 MB. It’s not the end of the world. You can just leave it there and never open it. You can delete your Photos library in the pictures folder and disable the share extension in System Preferences > Extensions > Share Menu. Deleting it won’t be permanent anyway, as the system will undoubtedly restore it upon a system update.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Photos is just ~50 MB.

You know, that is the biggest single giveaway as to the difference in experience you can expect from iPhoto or Aperture (both of which the apps were over 1GB in size), more code = more development effort and while I will gladly accept coding efficiencies on a re-write of 25% - sure, 50% - maybe, 75% - have to be outstanding, to claim 95% over iPhoto, I just don't believe it.

Its small because its crap. Its crap because its small. Perfect circle.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
You can do this easily without resorting to command line stuff.
I just ran 'Clean My Mac' app using its app remover option.
All gone now :D

Well Photos can happily sit in my application folder kicking its heels because now I have iPhoto back I won't be making that mistake again.

If you're going to change something then make sure it's for the better. I don't think Photos is better than iPhoto or Picasa.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You know, that is the biggest single giveaway as to the difference in experience you can expect from iPhoto or Aperture (both of which the apps were over 1GB in size), more code = more development effort and while I will gladly accept coding efficiencies on a re-write of 25% - sure, 50% - maybe, 75% - have to be outstanding, to claim 95% over iPhoto, I just don't believe it.

Its small because its crap. Its crap because its small. Perfect circle.

I don’t think that you can reasonably make that assumption.

I’ve just had a look at the contents of both apps and the binary files are in both cases less than 10 MB. When looking at the differences, I noticed that iPhoto includes: a frameworks library within the package (443 MB) that Photos does not have, probably because these are located somewhere else; a Themes folder with lots of high-resolution images, probably for the slideshows and print books (516 MB), which could equally be located in shared libraries (e.g. screensavers use the same slideshows); and a database called ‘pointsofinterest.db’, which is presumably used for the elaborate maps that are not part of Photos anymore (253 MB). That’s 1.21 GB of data that’s not part of the Photos package. iPhoto is an old, standalone application that probably uses many superfluous libraries that are (now) a core of the system, such as maps and image effects.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.

I’ve just had a look at the contents of both apps and the binary files are in both cases less than 10 MB. When looking at the differences, I noticed that iPhoto includes: a frameworks library within the package (443 MB) that Photos does not have, probably because these are located somewhere else; a Themes folder with lots of high-resolution images, probably for the slideshows and print books (516 MB), which could equally be located in shared libraries (e.g. screensavers use the same slideshows); and a database called ‘pointsofinterest.db’, which is presumably used for the elaborate maps that are not part of Photos anymore (253 MB). That’s 1.21 GB of data that’s not part of the Photos package. iPhoto is an old, standalone application that probably uses many superfluous libraries that are (now) a core of the system, such as maps and image effects.

However, that being said Photos does not provide as good a user experience as iPhoto or the very good Picasa.

Apple still use the 'we know best' mindset of SJ and it's high time the customer was allowed more personal choice.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
more personal choice.

Its more than choice, users have gone off in different directions aided and helped by the apps Apple have written...to now have those real-world workflows just removed and ignored. It shows huge arrogance combined with a lack of understanding of customers...very sad to see and it doesn't bode well.

----------

Point taken although I'm not convinced that those functions will be returning...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
However, that being said Photos does not provide as good a user experience as iPhoto or the very good Picasa.

Apple still use the 'we know best' mindset of SJ and it's high time the customer was allowed more personal choice.

I don’t think that Apple has any high ambitions anymore when it comes to offering excellent applications. The Mac now has ample support in the developer community. iPhoto used to be the only decent photos app for consumers on the Mac, but now we have qualitative alternatives like Picasa. Likewise, Apple left professional users almost completely in the cold by discontinuing Aperture. I think Photos is really just an effort to provide feature parity with the iOS photos application and iCloud Photo Library. Beyond that it’s not really that interesting, certainly not for any serious professional uses.

It’s the same with iTunes. On Windows its reputation is almost as bad as Internet Explorer used to be. On the Mac the antagonism is less vocal, but also here you don’t have to be an expert to see that the app has reached its zenith many years ago. However, if Appel ever revamps iTunes, I doubt that the result will be more likeable than the music app on iOS. Still, we have ample to choose, especially now that music streaming is becoming more and more popular.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
Try to update iPhoto to version 9.6.1 through the app store in Yosemite. 9.6.1 was the last adaptation to improve import to Photos.

This would be awesome if it were available in 10.10.3. It's not available in the app store any longer. I was able to obtain a copy of that version and 10.10.3 won't allow my to install or run it, and consequently it won't allow me to upgrade my iPhoto library...

By upgrading to 10.10.3 I've shot myself in the foot and all the tools and apps that could help have been rendered obsolete. Thanks a lot :apple:

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
Not to sound harsh, but that is the apple way. They force you to use the new apps and there's no viable way of getting or using the old apps.

That's all fine and dandy, but when you get caught in the fray like I am right now, it really, really stinks. Or if they were able to fix it that'd be okay too. The case has been escalated and is being evaluated by "engineering" right now so we'll see what they come up with. :rolleyes:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
This would be awesome if it were available in 10.10.3. It's not available in the app store any longer. I was able to obtain a copy of that version and 10.10.3 won't allow my to install or run it, and consequently it won't allow me to upgrade my iPhoto library...

By upgrading to 10.10.3 I've shot myself in the foot and all the tools and apps that could help have been rendered obsolete. Thanks a lot :apple:

That's not correct. Go to 'purchases' in the app store, and you see iPhoto (if you ever purchased it). I just downloaded iPhoto for testing purposes and installed it again in OS X 10.10.3. See the pic's bellow.

And if you did not purchase it, because it was a preinstalled version -> Ask a friend for a copy of the iPhoto 9.6.1 app. However, even it was only preinstalled with a new Mac you bought, it should have been unlocked in your app store account, if you have signed in correctly while the first start of your Mac.

Attachments

• iPhoto App Store.png
    iPhoto App Store.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 115
  • iPhoto Yosemite.png
    iPhoto Yosemite.png
    342 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
That's not correct. Go to 'purchases' in the app store, and you see iPhoto (if you ever purchased it). I just downloaded iPhoto for testing purposes and installed it again in OS X 10.10.3. See the pic's bellow.

And if you did not purchase it, because it was a preinstalled version -> Ask a friend for a copy of the iPhoto 9.6.1 app. However, even it was only preinstalled with a new Mac you bought, it should have been unlocked in your app store account, if you have signed in correctly while the first start of your Mac.

Thanks for your help. I never did download it, I bought it on DVD years ago. Seems like an 8 track nowadays.

I was just able to use another iTunes account and the new version of iPhoto is available under purchases, but download isn't an option, just "update" and so far it's not done anything. I click on the update button and it greys out then nothing happens. If I go to another spot in the App store app, and go back to purchases it's not greyed out and pressing the update button again doesn't do anything but grey out the button.

It seems like I'm close to something here but no cigar. Any ideas?

Thanks!

iphoto2.tiff

----------

I'm afraid to uninstall it, for fear of not being able to reinstall it or have my library get funky if I uninstall it.

I tried moving it out of the applications folder to the desktop but the button didn't change to install (I did sign out and then back in).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.