Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCletus

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Auto-Updated, autoupdate and then saw the applications for downloading.
Outlook and Word running fine.

iCletus

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Not yet that I have seen. It is so much needed. But i keep requesting this in each update. Hit the frown in the upper right and put in your request! Power in numbers I say!

snifferdogx

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Did the update. I like the changes very much.

But one thing is annoying me: the context menus are still the old style simple menu, unlike the Windows version where the paste options icons which give paste previews or that little formatting bar that pops up above it.

I use that feature all the time in Word and Excel. It's annoying that it's not in the Mac version as well.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
so a few things to doubt check with you guys regarding excel:

Saving preferences : i keep selecting iterative calculations, and to do calculations autoamtically but it keeps reverting to the default which is off.

glitchy scrolling: instead of smooth scrolling it seems like excel wants to keep snapping the cell to grid and as im scrolling it just makes the spreadsheet really jerky. was really bad in the previous version. improved in the recent update from few days ago but still not perfect.

Newer version is smoother and quicker but its actually introduced some bad bugs that weren't there before. my excel has crashed 4-5 times in 2 days, while the previous one had only crashed one since the preview came out.

Specifically horrible bug: if im in edit cell mode (f2) and scrolling to see the reference cell, excel crashes. also if im creating an equation that references two cells if i do = in a cell and then scroll to find my cell it crashes. not just once. im talking every single time since this update came out.after repeating this bug a dozen times im not longer keeping a cell in edit mode and scrolling.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Can anyone tell me if there is any form of "reader" mode in Word:2016 that darkens or blacks out the background and just shows you the page?

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
OK I have found a serious bug after the latest update:

In Microsoft Word, If you try to cut and/or copy paste by selecting the text through right click menu, it doesn't work; it doesn't cut the text and it doesn't paste the text. But if you try with CMD-C and CMD-P keys, it works.

Can someone test this please report back. Thanks

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010

In Microsoft Word, If you try to cut and/or copy paste by selecting the text through right click menu, it doesn't work; it doesn't cut the text and it doesn't paste the text. But if you try with CMD-C and CMD-P keys, it works.

Same issue here.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008

same here. also with most recent update i can no longer do command A to select all text in some places like if im editing text, or if im in the custom formatting box.

This newer version has been horrible for me vs the previous version which i was using daily and had none of these bugs the new version has.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Wheeww! I thought i was the only one. I have reported it Microsoft and would suggest that you do the same so it can be fixed quicker (fingers crossed ;) )

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Excel seems a lot less stable right now, I have a spreadsheet that it kept crashing on. Nothing major in terms of complexity, just a generic spreadsheet.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Excel seems a lot less stable right now, I have a spreadsheet that it kept crashing on. Nothing major in terms of complexity, just a generic spreadsheet.

agreed! the previous update only crashed once for me since its release. This one crashes ten times a day to the point where i might stop using it.

The worst bug is if you are editing a cell, so either if you press f2 and then scroll around the page to find the reference cell, it will crash 9/10 times. Or if you do = and then look for the cell again crashes.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Excel … kept crashing …

If it's not confidential/sensitive, can you share the crash data? Thanks.

I guess that you can copy the data from the Microsoft Error Reporting dialogue (don't expect /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports or ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports to be used by Microsoft for logging diagnostic information).

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008

I guess that you can copy the data from the Microsoft Error Reporting dialogue (don't expect /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports or ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports to be used by Microsoft for logging diagnostic information).

not sure how any of this makes sense but heres my crash report. every single time it crashes if i edit a cell to find the reference cell.

http://pastebin.com/z8aA69Ct

this was copied from the log report excel wanted to send.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
not sure how any of this makes sense …

Glancing at lines 49–23 of the crashed thread: it probably involves animation of text.

A long shot: if you can guess what Microsoft intends to animate, then position that part of the window off-screen before performing an action that is likely to involve that animation. Then after a second or so (long enough for an imagined off-screen animation to complete), use the Window menu to make all of the window visible. If that works around the crash, then you could include a description in feedback to Microsoft.

If Safari 8.x is a precedent, then maybe Microsoft is sliding text from left to centre, or vice versa, as eye candy. (A moving target? I hope not.)

Technical

Quartz Core Framework Reference

Analyzing Crash Reports – but if Microsoft does not store reports in the ways expected by Apple, then this information may be not applicable.

Technical Note TN2123: CrashReporter is outdated – not revised since 2008 – but the part about backtraces may help readers to understand why some parts of a crash report should be read from bottom to top.

Also http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/1427/8546 … and so on; there are better general points of reference but I'll not look for them now.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
I think you hit the nail on the head! definitely animation related i think. If i quickly scroll up or down, office crashes every single time. I can reproduce this bug consistently. But if i press =, and then slowly scroll to where I want to go, about 2 out of 5 times it won't crash. So theres definitely something happening in that part of the window thats making this crash.

Glancing at lines 49–23 of the crashed thread: it probably involves animation of text.

A long shot: if you can guess what Microsoft intends to animate, then position that part of the window off-screen before performing an action that is likely to involve that animation. Then after a second or so (long enough for an imagined off-screen animation to complete), use the Window menu to make all of the window visible. If that works around the crash, then you could include a description in feedback to Microsoft.

If Safari 8.x is a precedent, then maybe Microsoft is sliding text from left to centre, or vice versa, as eye candy. (A moving target? I hope not.)

Technical

Quartz Core Framework Reference

Analyzing Crash Reports – but if Microsoft does not store reports in the ways expected by Apple, then this information may be not applicable.

Technical Note TN2123: CrashReporter is outdated – not revised since 2008 – but the part about backtraces may help readers to understand why some parts of a crash report should be read from bottom to top.

Also http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/1427/8546 … and so on; there are better general points of reference but I'll not look for them now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I prefer not too, as its my information that I'd rather not post on the internet. Suffice it to say the content has nothing to do with the instability. Its not the data, its the latest build that is causing the issue.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I downloaded the latest Office update and now my exchange email does not work anymore :mad: Am I the only one?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
AOK/thanks.

Incidentally I would not expect crash data to resemble any workbook data. But it's good to be cautious; if you're not sure, don't share it.

Its not that I'm not sure, I see little reason to do so. Excel is less stable with this build, it has nothing to do with the data, its the app.

sfscott

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
I downloaded the latest Office update and now my exchange email does not work anymore :mad: Am I the only one?

No....

I installed, and uninstalled and installed several times Outlook 15.9. It opens and within seconds, it crashes.
I found a copy of 15.8.1 and it was working for a time, then the app would just open and display menu bars but no open windows.
I spent an hour on the phone with Office365 support who were unable to help---just the usual uninstall third party apps that were not even running nor had ever caused a problem.
My outlook connects to an Exchange 2013 server run by a hosting company, not MSFT, and two accounts that are gmail back-ends.
I have the other office apps as preview versions (15.9) and removed the versions available for download at Office 365 site.
Only thing I did not do was go search for an delete all the library and helper files.
Really p!$$es me off.
Worse, the Office365 tech team is clueless.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I think we need to be patient and wait for next update in a couple of weeks. In the meanwhile Apple Mail will do (for me).

BTW office 2016 is still missing the ability to ctrl c/v attachments from one email to another. It is the single biggest let down, how long do we need to wait?

sfscott

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
So if your MS database utility app is missing...

Trying to create a new identity to see if that solves the problem but, there is no longer a database app

I uninstalled the prior versions of office/outlook and installed the preview. The uninstall was done by dragging the Office 2011 folder to the trash.

Holding the option key down while clicking on the Outlook icon just opens the app...which then proceeds to crash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.