Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jungleboybailey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
hi folks,

does anyone heard of the issue on iP6 and iP6+ on the calculator function?

if you input 77-38.8 and you will get Zero! I heard Apple had announcement on this issue but I couldn't find it. Anyone heard of that?

btw, I tried and mine did give me Zero! :mad:

Cheers,
JB

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
hi folks,

if you input 77-38.8 and you will get Zero! I heard Apple had announcement on this issue but I couldn't find it. Anyone heard of that?

Cheers,
JB

Not sure if you're trolling... but yes, if you press the equal button twice, subtracting 38.5 from 77 two times, you will get 0.

If you press the equal button once you'll get the correct answer, 38.5.

jungleboybailey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Hi Apunkrockmonk,

mine pressed only once and got zero, not twice. and it happens to some of the ip6 and ip6+, not all of them.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
This thread is questionable -– but I did have a similar-sounding issue recently with the iPhone calculator. I was doing a calculation where the answer was identical to the last number I entered before hitting "="; I don't recall the calculation, but for simplicity/illustration, let's say it was "88 – 44 = 44".

Due to poor UI in the caculator app, there is no indication that the calculation was performed, other than the number in the display "changing" to the answer — a change which does not happen in the scenario I'm describing. (Even on a cheap pocket calculator, the 44 would "flash" so you know the subtraction happened and the answer is also 44). And so when I hit "=" and nothing would change, I would hit "=" again, and get "0" this time (because it was then subtracting another 44 from 44).

I couldn't figure out what was going on, and kept trying it again and again (I was trying to do something under pressure, which didn't help...). Finally turned to a different calculator, and saw what was up.

All they need to do is add a "flash" visual feedback — like a cheap calculator from 30 years ago — to let you know the input was received. (This is how much better the stock Samsung calculator is: it shows the next answer in tiny numbers before you even hit "="; keeps a running tally of your calculations which you can scroll back through; etc. Do Apple programmers not use calculators?)

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
hi folks,

Cheers,
JB

Maybe they are using Common Core Math.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
In my opinion, not a bug, but a quirk. As many have pointed out here, if you enter:

- (minus sign)
=

you get 38.5. But because the display doesn't blink, you may think that you didn't hit the "=" key and so you do hit the "=" again and get 0. Which still doesn't make sense to me because if I were to enter the following:

=

I should not get zero.

That is why I prefer RPN calculator (Reversed Polish Notation, popular in HP calculators). I use PCALC on my iPhone. In RPN you do this:

Enter
- (minus sign)

You get 38.5. Now if you hit the minus sign again, you still get 38.5 because there is only one operand available, and PCAL would vibrate to tell you that the operation is invalid because there is only one operand for a binary operation. You can also see for yourself that there is only one number, 38.5, on the stack, so it is crystal clear what is going on.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
77-38.5=0!!

Cheers,

JB

Well, first off, I can guarantee you that the answer to the calculation above is 38.2 :)

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
What happened was the person pressed the equal button, saw 38.5 still in the display and thought the equal button didn't register so they pressed it again and got zero.

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
In my opinion, not a bug, but a quirk. As many have pointed out here, if you enter:

- (minus sign)
=

you get 38.5. But because the display doesn't blink, you may think that you didn't hit the "=" key and so you do hit the "=" again and get 0. Which still doesn't make sense to me because if I were to enter the following:

=

I should not get zero.

That is why I prefer RPN calculator (Reversed Polish Notation, popular in HP calculators). I use PCALC on my iPhone. In RPN you do this:

Enter
- (minus sign)

You get 38.5. Now if you hit the minus sign again, you still get 38.5 because there is only one operand available, and PCAL would vibrate to tell you that the operation is invalid because there is only one operand for a binary operation. You can also see for yourself that there is only one number, 38.5, on the stack, so it is crystal clear what is going on.

When you press = the second time, it repeats the previous operation using the answer instead of the first number. [77] [-] [38.5] [=] 38.5, call it ANS. [=] does ANS - 38.5 = 0.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
When you press = the second time, it repeats the previous operation using the answer instead of the first number. [77] [-] [38.5] [=] 38.5, call it ANS. [=] does ANS - 38.5 = 0.

I am lost. So on an algebraic calculator, pressing the = sign repeat the previous operation using the answer instead of the first number. But that previous operation requires 2 operands. Are you saying that the second operand stay the same? That seems so arbitrary. Why would you want to do that in real life?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am lost. So on an algebraic calculator, pressing the = sign repeat the previous operation using the answer instead of the first number. But that previous operation requires 2 operands. Are you saying that the second operand stay the same? That seems so arbitrary. Why would you want to do that in real life?

If you are repeating some sort of action, which is basically what it does, repeat last action essentially.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
If you are repeating some sort of action, which is basically what it does, repeat last action essentially.

Ok, so pressing "=" repeat the last action. For the rest to work:

-
=

must become

-

I see the logic of this madness now, or rather the madness of this logic :eek: Some how you do a binary operation on two operands, you end up with two operands. The first one is the result of the operation, and the second one is the second operand from previous operation.

robaroo

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
his original post said 38.8. i don't know where the hell everyone is getting 38.5 from. regardless. i did the equation he mentioned and got the right answer. so not a bug. this dude's a troll.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
his original post said 38.8. i don't know where the hell everyone is getting 38.5 from. regardless. i did the equation he mentioned and got the right answer. so not a bug. this dude's a troll.

The title of the thread says 38.5, and given the numbers involved along with that it seems like a likely conclusion that 38.8 in the OP was a typo and was supposed to be 38.5.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I think OP made a mistake by hitting the "=" twice as many people on this thread have pointed out.

However, I think the Calculator can be improved to make thing less confusing. When the answer to a calculation is the same as the last operand, there is no indication that the calculation has taken place, so the user may mistakenly think that the "=" keystroke didn't register, and hit it again. Perhaps there should be an indication like one flash.

To add to the confusion, at least to me or those who is not familiar with how an algebraic calculator works, is that the operands after the operation are not cleared, and pushing the "=" sign repeats the last operation.

robaroo

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think OP made a mistake by hitting the "=" twice as many people on this thread have pointed out.

However, I think the Calculator can be improved to make thing less confusing. When the answer to a calculation is the same as the last operand, there is no indication that the calculation has taken place, so the user may mistakenly think that the "=" keystroke didn't register, and hit it again. Perhaps there should be an indication like one flash.

To add to the confusion, at least to me or those who is not familiar with how an algebraic calculator works, is that the operands after the operation are not cleared, and pushing the "=" sign repeats the last operation.

a solution would be to just make the result turn green instead of the black text/number color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.