Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
I have not been able to test this with a Mac Pro, but I do have a Macbook Pro.

No apparent way to drive the monitor at 5K with dual displayport cables from a Macbook Pro. This is expected per the support documents. However, I'm pretty sure the Macbook Pro itself can handle a 5K desktop (it is possible to have a scaled 5K desktop output to a lower true resolution, so the graphics card is capable of it).

It is possible to output at 4K and have the monitor scale it internally, so that's good. And it looks OK. What's not good is that the Mac seems to think the monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440. There is no combination of SwitchResX or built in support that will allow me to output at 4K with an effective scaled resolution of 2560x1440 in HiDPI, for instance. I have to output at 4K native, and as a result everything looks super tiny.

Hopefully Apple will get their stuff together on this. In the mean time, I've been running it at 2560x1440, which is no better than my old Thunderbolt monitor.

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
The two thunderbolt ports on your MacBook Pro share the same PCI lanes, so they have not enough bandwidth to drive a 5K monitor.

There is no way for Apple to fix it via software. That's why the display is listed as not supported. If you are still in the return window, you might want to think about shipping it back.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
The two thunderbolt ports on your MacBook Pro share the same PCI lanes, so they have not enough bandwidth to drive a 5K monitor.

There is no way for Apple to fix it via software. That's why the display is listed as not supported. If you are still in the return window, you might want to think about shipping it back.

They could at least support 4k in scaled HiDPI 2560x1440. Right now they are trying to be too clever about detecting the native resolution of the monitor and it just doesn't work right. If I could just specify the true output resolution directly, it would work well enough.

I expect at some point Mac hardware will catch up, so I'm not too worried about it right now.

MrJandali

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2013
Anyone here working with this monitor yet ?

My second UP2715k had a black spot and I had to send it back. Since the color uniformity on that specific unit was quite bad I got unsure to get this monitor again. Right now the only alternative is the Z27q which is available now for a very similar price.

If anyone has to tell something about the Z27q - especially when it comes to compatibility and picture quality (color uniformity) - please let us know !!!!

The only difference I can see right now is the z27q has an anti glare coating while the UP2715k has not, it´s very reflective but has a very brilliant color intensity.

Thanks for any comments.

btw: Anyone here ever attached 2x 5k monitors to the nMP at once ? Does it work ?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
With luck at WWED next month Apple will announce the migration to Skylake processors and chipsets. Those introduce TB3 which should support 5k @ 60 over a single cable.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
With luck at WWED next month Apple will announce the migration to Skylake processors and chipsets. Those introduce TB3 which should support 5k @ 60 over a single cable.

It's all in Intel's hands. I am not holding my breath considering the mess that Broadwell has been.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Anyone here working with this monitor yet ?

My second UP2715k had a black spot and I had to send it back. Since the color uniformity on that specific unit was quite bad I got unsure to get this monitor again. Right now the only alternative is the Z27q which is available now for a very similar price.

If anyone has to tell something about the Z27q - especially when it comes to compatibility and picture quality (color uniformity) - please let us know !!!!

The only difference I can see right now is the z27q has an anti glare coating while the UP2715k has not, it´s very reflective but has a very brilliant color intensity.

Thanks for any comments.

btw: Anyone here ever attached 2x 5k monitors to the nMP at once ? Does it work ?

I've gotten Z27q two monitors from HP and both of them have smudges under the screen. The first had quite a visible spot, hence the exchange. The second had a couple of dead pixels or dirt near the corner and still some non-uniformity or very light smudging under the panel in areas. They are sending me a third one but I think that something is wrong in the manufacturing process.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England

I don't think this is right. The display uses DP and not Thunderbolt. All it needs is two DP streams which I think the ports on a Macbook will provide (all Thunderbolt ports provide one DP stream). Whether or not the ports can provide half the DP bandwidth needed for 5K is a different question and more to do with GPU performance.

Reactions: theSeb

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
- Really? On your MacBook Pro, and at 5120x2880 at 60Hz? Would you mind posting a screenshot from System Information? :)

Here you go. Note that the monitor says Dell because presumably the iclarified guys used the DELL EDID to help the HP Z27q work.

And yes it looks like 60Hz. Tested on testufo.com.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 9.42.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 9.42.46 PM.png
    457.2 KB · Views: 869

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Here you go. Note that the monitor says Dell because presumably the iclarified guys used the DELL EDID to help the HP Z27q work.

- That looks fantastic. Would you mind posting a screenshot from the "Graphics/Display" section of System Information (click "More Information" in About This Mac)?

sniderbr

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Portland, Oregon
EDIT: I just summarized everything from below (including the 3 linked thread postings) on a new thread, to give this more exposure:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dell-up2715k-mid-2014-rmbp-5k-success.1888212/

--

I have a Dell UP2715K 5K monitor working just fine at 5K/60Hz (even with 1 of the 2 mDP cables connected through an OWC TB2 dock!) with a maxed mid-2014 MBP with GT750M. See my posts in a related thread, no one really seemed to care in that thread, perhaps people on this 5K monitor thread will care more:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...dells-5k-display.1887256/page-3#post-21368723

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...dells-5k-display.1887256/page-5#post-21378015

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...dells-5k-display.1887256/page-5#post-21382003

There are a few screenshots showing the display's HUD with resolution/refresh rate as well as System Information with the video card/display info.

I think it's interesting that it works perfectly, as hinted at by the Dell support page (linked in my first post above), but conveniently omitted from the Apple support page about 4K/5K monitors. Trying to drive sales of the 2015 model I suppose?

Last edited:
Reactions: rkuo

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
EDIT: I just summarized everything from below (including the 3 linked thread postings) on a new thread, to give this more exposure:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dell-up2715k-mid-2014-rmbp-5k-success.1888212/

--

I have a Dell UP2715K 5K monitor working just fine at 5K/60Hz (even with 1 of the 2 mDP cables connected through an OWC TB2 dock!) with a maxed mid-2014 MBP with GT750M. See my posts in a related thread, no one really seemed to care in that thread, perhaps people on this 5K monitor thread will care more:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...dells-5k-display.1887256/page-3#post-21368723

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...dells-5k-display.1887256/page-5#post-21378015

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...dells-5k-display.1887256/page-5#post-21382003

There are a few screenshots showing the display's HUD with resolution/refresh rate as well as System Information with the video card/display info.

I think it's interesting that it works perfectly, as hinted at by the Dell support page (linked in my first post above), but conveniently omitted from the Apple support page about 4K/5K monitors. Trying to drive sales of the 2015 model I suppose?
My experience with it right now isn't perfect. I think it's more the HP monitor than the Mac tho. I sometimes have to restart the monitor or unplug cables to get things back. but I was also having to do that before in 1440p mode as well.

josh5k

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2015
Has anyone had success getting the HP z27q monitor to work with the retina iMac? I have tried following the iClarified instructions repeatedly but just cannot get the computer to recognize the monitor as a 5k screen.

I think that the iClarified monitor override file is not getting read properly because my monitor is indeed listed with its correct model name rather than the Dell's.

josh5k

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2015

I'm so jealous that you got that to work. I have been unsuccessful. I copied the override plist file into place but my monitor continues to come up as an HP monitor rather than the 5k dell---for some reason the override plist file is not getting processed correctly.

Any tips?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Even better news now ... I was successfully driving a second monitor at 1920x1200 from the HDMI port, but I changed that to a high speed HDMI cable going to a DELL 30" at 2560x1600 and it works too! The specs on this laptop are definitely understated and perhaps OS X has caught up at this point.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Pretty cool. Looks like a lot of assumptions about how the GPU's DP lines work with the TB ports might have to be revisited. Someone on the Mac Pro forum posted they were able to run two Dell 5K displays @60Hz on the nMP.

Reactions: andy89

Rocket 442

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Rochester, NY
I just got a z27q a couple days ago, and I can't seem to get it to act right.

I have a Mac Pro (2013 model), and have followed the iClarified instructions exactly. It worked at glorious 5k for about an hour. Then for some reason my Logitech MX Performance Mouse started to freeze for a few seconds at a time (but only on the z27q screen - I also have a Dell 1980px that it acted fine on).

So I restarted the computer, and the monitor said its inputs weren't connected. So I disconnected the left mini display port from Port 1, Bus 1, and left only the connection on in Port 2, Bus 2. At that point it'd start up, but only in a 4k resolution, and with a slightly-too-tall aspect ratio.

I tried restarting, deleting and re-adding the VendorID folder in the Overrides. No matter what I seem to do, it never seems to get it to ever go back into 5k, and now even at 4k I can't get the mouse to agree with the screen.

Anyone else run into an issue like this, or even have some possible solutions? I'm at my wits end on trying to sort it out.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
everything works best on my system if I have my macbook on but sleeping with the lid closed, plug in the secondary display port cable, and then plug in the primary. It sounds like you have the primary cable plugged in first. It may also help to try swapping the buses that the ports are on. I had a lot of split screen issues before settling on the exact bus and order of cable insertion.

Rocket 442

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Rochester, NY
everything works best on my system if I have my macbook on but sleeping with the lid closed, plug in the secondary display port cable, and then plug in the primary. It sounds like you have the primary cable plugged in first. It may also help to try swapping the buses that the ports are on. I had a lot of split screen issues before settling on the exact bus and order of cable insertion.
Thanks for the tip. I tried plugging the second cable in when sleeping, but no change.

I ended up on a long shot trying to reset my SMC and then my NVRAM. That has allowed me to plug back in at 5K. I will update if it disables again after turning it back on or off. Hopefully it was just a one-time fluke.

---

EDIT: To add to this a bit more, and hopefully it helps others who may run into something similar, or someone who already has.

I think the problem came down to me using the z27q, as well as two 24" Dell 2k Displays. The Mac Pro seems to really not like one of the displays when 3 are in use. Bummer for me but not sure how to fix it. Before I reset my SMC and NVRAM the z27q was the monitor that was making my mouse janky and slow when it was within its boundaries. Even when the other displays were disconnected, the affected one would still act odd. Now after resetting the SMC and NVRAM, using the z27 first, one of my Dell 2K's does the same thing. No idea on how to remedy that though, or if its even possible to fix. I'd prefer that to the 5K being the odd display out.

Last edited:

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks for the tip. I tried plugging the second cable in when sleeping, but no change.

I ended up on a long shot trying to reset my SMC and then my NVRAM. That has allowed me to plug back in at 5K. I will update if it disables again after turning it back on or off. Hopefully it was just a one-time fluke.

---

EDIT: To add to this a bit more, and hopefully it helps others who may run into something similar, or someone who already has.

I think the problem came down to me using the z27q, as well as two 24" Dell 2k Displays. The Mac Pro seems to really not like one of the displays when 3 are in use. Bummer for me but not sure how to fix it. Before I reset my SMC and NVRAM the z27q was the monitor that was making my mouse janky and slow when it was within its boundaries. Even when the other displays were disconnected, the affected one would still act odd. Now after resetting the SMC and NVRAM, using the z27 first, one of my Dell 2K's does the same thing. No idea on how to remedy that though, or if its even possible to fix. I'd prefer that to the 5K being the odd display out.

Ah yes, I always plug in the 5k monitor first and completely, then the second HDMI monitor. If I try to hook everything up at once, things go a little nuts. Once it's all plugged in, I seem to be able to sleep/wake without issues.

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
Hate to bump and old thread but I'm looking at this monitor and currently debating between it and the LG 34UM95 (UW format). I'll be running whichever one I end up with in a dual screen setup with an Apple TBD off a 2013 nMP (D500, 6c, 64GB RAM). My primary use cases include software development and photography work. In theory, I really like the idea of having a 5k monitor side by side w/the TBD for both scenarios which gives an edge to the Z27q vs the 34UM95.

Thoughts on running the Z27q along side a TBD? Has this monitor been running better with the latest versions of OS X? Any concerns?

Thanks in advance!

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Hate to bump and old thread but I'm looking at this monitor and currently debating between it and the LG 34UM95 (UW format). I'll be running whichever one I end up with in a dual screen setup with an Apple TBD off a 2013 nMP (D500, 6c, 64GB RAM). My primary use cases include software development and photography work. In theory, I really like the idea of having a 5k monitor side by side w/the TBD for both scenarios which gives an edge to the Z27q vs the 34UM95.

Thoughts on running the Z27q along side a TBD? Has this monitor been running better with the latest versions of OS X? Any concerns?

Thanks in advance!

OS X appears to support the HP Z27q natively now as of 10.11.2. There are some weird issues with the display on boot up sometimes, but in general you can always get it working by plugging and unplugging the display port cables from the mac pro. I love the monitor and find the quality of the screen to well outweigh the plug/unplug issues. Once the computer is on and the display is working you can sleep and resume the computer as much as you like.

josh5k

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2015

Thanks in advance!

Rebby: I have both in my lab. without a question you should buy the Z27q. its spectacular and a game changer. the 34" LG is cute but just a wide regular monitor. You could get the same effect by putting two normal monitors side by side. The Z27q technical issues are small and no big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.