Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JakobShooster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
So, the 15" Macbook was updated today. Got a little bump, but not the bump I was looking for. I would've moved on a Broadwell chip, but no. No Broadwell. This has lead me to this decision. I am going to buy a new computer until the 15" comes out, and then I will use it only for web browsing. Even while I use it I will also be using my current upgraded macbook pro 2011. So it shouldn't get any clutter or installs. So here are the computers I am considering. I have a budget of around $1450, but it isn't concrete.

At the cheapest we have the Macbook, I like the idea of having something new and special, but don’t like the one USB-C Port which also would be livable. The slimness is awesome and is super portable and really cool! It is also 130$ cheaper than the next contender. But the lack of power does worry me.
attachment.php

In the middle we have the Macbook Air. At $1449 it is a little bit more expensive that the Macbook but also has a lot more power. It matches the Thin Macbook’s 8gb, but the CPU is significantly better. The Air has a 2.2GHz Dual core i7, the thin Macbook only has 1.1 GHz Dual Core M. I think that the thin Macbook will have a far lesser life-span when compared to the others.
attachment.php

Finally, we have the 13-Inch Macbook Pro with retina display. Coming in at $1499 it is more expensive than the others, but has amazing power. With a 2.7GHz Dual Core i5 CPU, and 8GB of RAM, matching the others, there is far more power. However, the computer is significantly heavier when compared to the other two, and less portable. The fact is, I have a perfectly fine computer right now for surfing the web and the real downfall is going to school with it, and moving around with it. For home use I am fine with this computer. If I purchased a MacBook Pro I would be replacing this computer as there would be no benefit in using it.
The MacBook pro is an upgrade to this computer. It also has the longest life expectancy when compared to the earlier computers and is going to be able to continue being my second computer when I purchase the 15”. In addition to it replacing my main computer, it runs the risk of me cluttering the computer before getting the 15” and not being able to have this as just an iCloud/web surfing computer. My dream is to have a computer dedicated to web surfing and other light tasks and one for heavy lifting and home relaxation and entertainment. I don’t know if the Macbook Pro is perfect for that movable, carry-able, web surfing computer. It is appealing because it is an upgrade to this computer and that is nice, but when I purchase my 15” will there still be a reason to use it? Will my 15”’s power and appeal outweigh the 13” macbook’s smaller more cartable body? I don’t think the difference is big enough. That is where the Thin MacBook shines. The huge difference in size makes it great for certain situations which will lead to me using it more frequently.
attachment.php

To conclude, the Macbook Pro has the power and the life expectancy but lacks the travel-ability compared to the extremely thin Macbook, and the more powerful MacBook Air. The MacBook Air gives us the best of both worlds in some senses. It is light, versatile, and has a far longer life expectancy when compared to its’ cheaper brother.****And finally, the super-thin Macbook. The light-weight and movable nature that come along with its’ thin elegant body and unique in its’ colour of space grey. The thin body comes at a price however, it’s life expectancy is maybe 2 years, and when compared to the MacBook Pro’s 5 years as just a web surfing device, and the Air’s 4 maybe 5 as well, it is hard to justify the purchase.

TL;DR: Want to buy a new computer for light use. It is between the Macbook 12", the Air and the baseline 13" macbook pro. I want portability but the lifespan of the computer is also important.

Attachments

• Macbook.png
    Macbook.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • Air.png
    Air.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Pro.png
    Pro.png
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,078
Last edited:

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
For you,for me it's the next MBA 11" in the form of the new 12" Retina MB.
It appears the general agreement here is,"all we wanted was an 11" Air with a Retina Screen", apparently, not to be.That said, the 12" Retina MB, with this sweet keyboard, will more than suffice for me, and look good doing it:eek:

JakobShooster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
For you,for me it's the next MBA 11" in the form of the new 12" Retina MB.
It appears the general agreement here is,"all we wanted was an 11" Air with a Retina Screen", apparently, not to be.That said, the 12" Retina MB, with this sweet keyboard, will more than suffice for me, and look good doing it:eek:
How long do you think a 12" MacBook would last though?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
From what you wrote, you are just planning on using the macbook for webbrowsing.
Why the hell would you buy upgraded 1.5k laptops for that purpose?

Is money not an issue? Then get the retina macbook.
Want to save $$$ and/or want the magsafe and connectivity, buy a base Air or an iPad.

There will be absolutely no performance difference for what you are doing.

Reactions: dollystereo

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Why not just get the 15"? If thats what you are planning on doing anyway then take the plunge. Its an amazing computer and I wouldn't waste any money hoping for a slight bump in the coming release.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
From what you wrote, you are just planning on using the macbook for webbrowsing.
Why the hell would you buy upgraded 1.5k laptops for that purpose?

Is money not an issue? Then get the retina macbook.
Want to save $$$ and/or want the magsafe and connectivity, buy a base Air or an iPad.

There will be absolutely no performance difference for what you are doing.
Meister always putting reason to this kind of forums. =)

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister

pjfan

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Columbus OH
If I were buying a web browsing only laptop that won't have applications installed on it, and for ultimate portability, then the rMB would be my personal choice all the way.

Personally, the iPad Air 2 is sufficent for me (with physical fullsize keyboard if I want to type a lot) so I can't justify a rMB. iOS doesn't seem to be for you, so rMB all the way. I feel like it'll last for a few years no problem for web browsing. The MBAir is a great computer that I loved as my 2010 13" is still very proficient for web browsing only and works great for our household computer. Just like the evolution of SSD, I wouldn't buy a machine without a Retina screen at this point, so the current MBAirs aren't on my buy list.

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
And finally, the super-thin Macbook. The light-weight and movable nature that come along with its’ thin elegant body and unique in its’ colour of space grey. The thin body comes at a price however, it’s life expectancy is maybe 2 years, and when compared to the MacBook Pro’s 5 years as just a web surfing device, and the Air’s 4 maybe 5 as well, it is hard to justify the purchase.

I'm surprised no one has called you out for the ridiculous lifespan estimates you just made up with absolutely no facts to support your claims. Although anyone paying $1500 to 'browse the internet' deserves to be parted with their money henceforth.

Reactions: Meister
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.