Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clovehitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I for one hope they don't try to make the MBP run fanless with a low power proc.

I seriously doubt those two specifications will come together in the Macbook Pro. I don't think we will see Apple adopting a 12"/14" screen sizing without concurrently also introducing a "16. They could, but it would suck.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I seriously doubt those two specifications will come together in the Macbook Pro. I don't think we will see Apple adopting a 12"/14" screen sizing without concurrently also introducing a "16. They could, but it would suck.

I'm holding out hope for a 16" Space Grey Skylake redesign w/ 12 hours battery life, optional dGPU, Usb-C and Usb3.0. My Amex is primed and ready to go!

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
From benchlife.info:

intel-skylake-schedule.jpg

xiwong

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2013

This is quite interesting. If naming convention remains the same, with HQ being a mobile quad, that means Intel might be introducing a mobile i5 Quad Core. In addition, previous data had shown Skylake-S to be mobile quad (not H) as naming was supposed to be changed.

Also, the HK processor...unlocked mobile quad CPU?

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
If we do legitimately see Skylake mobile quad-core CPUs in Sept/Oct 2015, I'd be somewhat surprised if we see a new 15" MacBook Pro this year with it. Given they just refreshed it, I'd be surprised if they refreshed it again just 4 months later (for a September release) -- feels like a very short product model release.

So, Intel makes the chips available in September/October, machines start shipping with them in October/November. Other than a new choice times, Apple is usually a month or two behind other vendors with refreshing their chips -- so it might make it in Nov/Dec, or it might be January if it really is a fundamental redesign.

That said, the 15" MacBook Pro targets a bit of a different audience, so I don't think they really have to target the Christmas buying season.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
If Skylake is out this year I would not be surprised to see a refresh in November, maybe a redesign too. It would be the right time of year for it. They have put an interesting upgrade to the GPU in the new machines I must say!

xiwong

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2013
If Skylake is out this year I would not be surprised to see a refresh in November, maybe a redesign too. It would be the right time of year for it. They have put an interesting upgrade to the GPU in the new machines I must say!

November refresh is what I would expect too. Only because when I purchased my first MBP (Santa Rosa) in June 2007, I remember how the plastic MacBook (Merom) got a speed bump in May 2007 and then had a Santa Rosa refresh in Nov 2007. Except for this time it was way worse, because Santa Rosa chips had already been released in May.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
If November, it would have to be early November and they would only release if they had a huge stockpile ready to ship. The release window is September through early November.

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
november refresh is what i would expect too. Only because when i purchased my first mbp (santa rosa) in june 2007, i remember how the plastic macbook (merom) got a speed bump in may 2007 and then had a santa rosa refresh in nov 2007. Except for this time it was way worse, because santa rosa chips had already been released in may.

lmfao

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
November refresh is what I would expect too. Only because when I purchased my first MBP (Santa Rosa) in June 2007, I remember how the plastic MacBook (Merom) got a speed bump in May 2007 and then had a Santa Rosa refresh in Nov 2007. Except for this time it was way worse, because Santa Rosa chips had already been released in May.

I was thinking December. That's because I stuck my finger in the air and noticed the wind was blowing at 10m/s in a South-south-easterly direction which is the same month and direction that the Patagonian sparrow migrates for the winter.

That's a co-incidence of biblical proportions.

;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm potentially looking at a new computer purchase this fall (late fall), so it appears I'm in line with a waiting for skylake candidate. I'm on the fence TBH on what to buy. I'll have to wait and see what apple does this fall.

Rantwiki

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
Whats Apple's plan for the 13" pro? I don't see any 28W processors on the leaked roadmap, and its unlikely that apple will wait 12+ months to update. Does Intel have a secret plan for the 28W processor, is Apple going to change processors, or will they wait?

My guess is that the air gets discontinued and the 13" pro will replace the air in the ultrabook category and use a 15W processor. Intel can probably afford to discontinue it because right now only VAIO (not sony) and Apple use them. Another possibility is that the pro gets upgraded to a quad core but thats a long shot. What do you guys think?

shaocaholica

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Anyone else not like the force touchpad? I tried it at the store right next to a traditional trackpad and I felt that the click feedback wasn't nearly as 'haptic' even on the 'strong' setting. If I had to put a number on it I would say on 'strong' it felt only 33% of the real thing.

Kind of a bummer since I want the 2015 MBP 15 so I can drive a 5K display with it in the field.

clovehitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I'm holding out hope for a 16" Space Grey Skylake redesign w/ 12 hours battery life, optional dGPU, Usb-C and Usb3.0. My Amex is primed and ready to go!

I'm kind of doubtful Apple would go to the 12/14/16 size scheme for the MBP, but if they did I'd order the 16" first minute its available. :D Maybe its me and that I find the 13" an ideal size for a small notebook, and the 12" much less so.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I want the 2015 MBP 15 so I can drive a 5K display with it in the field.

Are you sure that a mid-2015 MBP can drive a 5K display? At 60Hz? Is it officially supported?

I'll be driving two 4K displays with mine, which is officially supported.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Anyone else not like the force touchpad? I tried it at the store right next to a traditional trackpad and I felt that the click feedback wasn't nearly as 'haptic' even on the 'strong' setting. If I had to put a number on it I would say on 'strong' it felt only 33% of the real thing.

Kind of a bummer since I want the 2015 MBP 15 so I can drive a 5K display with it in the field.

There is no official support for that, so I wouldn't expect 60hz from it. Right now we have thunderbolt 2. It supports Displayport 1.2 protocols. Those do not support 5K, which is a fairly recent development. Thankfully it was added to the latest displayport standard prior to finalization, so that should be feasible in the near future. It's just not officially today, and I don't know of anyone that's tried to hack such a thing into working.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I do want the features of Skylake (mostly the iGPU features so I don't have to rely on a dGPU all the time, less fan is better. ;) ) ... but I'm afraid Apple will re-design the MBP. I don't mind re-designs, I am just not fond of being a guinea pig for the new designs, (iPad Air 1 taught me that.) It wasn't horrid, but it had much more issues than the Air 2 I got. So I'll stick with this new rMBP and wait to see what Apple does late fall or early next year.

Kal.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I'm kind of doubtful Apple would go to the 12/14/16 size scheme for the MBP, but if they did I'd order the 16" first minute its available. :D Maybe its me and that I find the 13" an ideal size for a small notebook, and the 12" much less so.

I'm a developer, so even when I'm mobile, I'm looking at code all day and need as much screen real estate as possible. It's not unusual for me to have two pages of code side-by-side on my screen.

13" is a little small for my daily usage.

15" is just right.

17" is a ridiculous monster that I can't see ever carrying around.

That said, if I traveled by air on a regular basis and didn't need the screen real estate for coding, I'd be all over a 13", probably a 13" Air.

If Apple went to a 14/16" MBP design, I *might* be a little torn between the two. 14" is almost 15" and the size is really great. In the end, it would come down to specs. If I could get the same dGPU and proc/ram/ssd, the 14" might get the nod over the 16".

We'll see.... I'm eagerly awaiting. Amex in hand, cash earmarked in the savings account. Will order the day they're announced, with or without redesign. About the only thing that would keep me from ordering would be a major redesign goof, such as mimicking the 12" lack of USB 3.0, low power proc, and horrible power adapter design.

shaocaholica

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
There is no official support for that, so I wouldn't expect 60hz from it. Right now we have thunderbolt 2. It supports Displayport 1.2 protocols. Those do not support 5K, which is a fairly recent development. Thankfully it was added to the latest displayport standard prior to finalization, so that should be feasible in the near future. It's just not officially today, and I don't know of anyone that's tried to hack such a thing into working.

No official support? It says right there on the 'official' apple spec page for the 2015 MBP 15 with dGPU.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
No official support? It says right there on the 'official' apple spec page for the 2015 MBP 15 with dGPU.

That's a great catch, and I totally missed it. It still uses thunderbolt 2, which only supports up to displayport 1.2 (until now I guess). Displayport 1.2 does not include 5K due to having been finalized in 2009.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Does anyone think Apple is aiming to remove the dGPU option altogether at some point in the 15" MBP's future?

If it compromises performance too much, probably not. Professionals who actually notice that still make up too many consumers. Maybe they don't mind a mediocre dGPU, but they sure would mind a nonexistent one, given the Iris's relatively meh OpenCL and CUDA performance compared to Nvidia and AMD's midrange chips.

crossi81

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2012
Does anyone think Apple is aiming to remove the dGPU option altogether at some point in the 15" MBP's future?

I didn't before new rMBP 15''. Now I do, they went for the power saving route (1 more hour of battery life), so I guess they will eventually drop dGPU even in Pro line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.