Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Went to the Apple store in the Arrowhead Mall, Glendale, AZ today to buy an iPhone 5 for my wife.

White, 64GB, Sprint. I was hoping that I might get an iPhone running 6.1.2. To my very pleasant surprise this i5 is running 6.0.1!

I'm guessing it's because it's 64GB and a Sprint iPhone that it sat there for a while. The serial says it was made in November, 2012 which is the same month my own replacement iPhone 5 was made.

We had to wait for it to charge to boot it as waiting all that time had depleted the battery. But it works and now I can jailbreak it!

My wife has strict orders not to touch the update settings. :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Sprint edition iPhone 6.0.1 , this Edition some time can't send the SMS.

just some time .
:D
Yeah, we experienced that last night after we got home. My wife restarted her phone and it went through. Odd though as the SMS she was sending me was actually iMessage (I have an iPhone 5). Just assumed it was Sprint's crappy network because I haven't hooked her up on the home WiFi yet.

Thought she was experiencing the Sprint NV upgrade multiple text message fail issue with me getting her text messages multiple times (which is why I assumed it was just Sprint).

FINALLY got to do Facetime though!!! Been waiting for my wife to get an iPhone so I could!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
im not at all surprised. 64gb phones are left on the shelf for months sometimes, and especially sprint ones.
Well, that's actually what I was hoping for! I just was not expecting to see 6.0.1. And I'm happy I did because we've already run into one annoyance which jailbreaking can solve.

Apparently my wife doesn't appreciate iOS auto correct! :rolleyes:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Remember to not screw too hard this jb, it's its first time or else the iPhone won't like the jb and you then get no jb pleasure with it until a different, maybe stronger jb comes along.. :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Hopefully you got lucky after she got lucky so everybody got lucky! :p
Well, I lucked out when I met her, I'll say that. 16 years this November and I love her more than I did back then.

We've been lucky more than once though, with two kids to prove it. :p

----------

Remember to not screw too hard this jb, it's its first time or else the iPhone won't like the jb and you then get no jb pleasure with it until a different, maybe stronger jb comes along.. :p
LOL! I'll be careful! :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Should install software update killer from cydia to be safe.
Yeah, absolutely! I just have to wait a bit though. Brand new device for her so she's setting it up and getting used to it. When I get a hold of it it's only for small moments to fix/set up something before she wants her phone back. Once I can get to the jailbreak itself that will be one of the first installs.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
that's awesome, happy for you.

on a sidenote i wonder if one could easily find an at&t 64 on 6.0-6.1.2 a lot of places.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
that's awesome, happy for you.

on a sidenote i wonder if one could easily find an at&t 64 on 6.0-6.1.2 a lot of places.
Well, I would guess that your chances would probably be better at least, considering. :D

dissizitt

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
Thats great news!

I am hoping I get lucky as well....I need to replace my Spring iPhone 4s 16gb.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thats great news!

I am hoping I get lucky as well....I need to replace my Spring iPhone 4s 16gb.
I'm not trying to pee in your Cheerios, but I think, unless you are replacing that 4S with a iPhone 5 32 or 64GB your chances are not very good.

Even with Sprint it's almost certain that Apple or Sprint no longer have 16GB iPhone 4S/5 replacements/new phones with anything less than 6.1.3.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
And now…my wife's iPhone 5 on 6.0.1 is jailbroken

My wife is perusing Cydia as I write this…

Anyone know a substitute for Respring Cache Fix? I added Petrovich's repo, but it's saying that her iPhone needs to be on 6.1.

Always find it ironic jailbreaking the iPhone 5 with an old 1Ghz PC using USB 1.1 ports! :rolleyes:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
My wife is perusing Cydia as I write this…

Anyone know a substitute for Respring Cache Fix? I added Petrovich's repo, but it's saying that her iPhone needs to be on 6.1.

Always find it ironic jailbreaking the iPhone 5 with an old 1Ghz PC using USB 1.1 ports! :rolleyes:

The Respring Cache eror only happens on 6.1 so you shouldn't need it for 6.01.

You can always use iCleaner Pro

rssmith1965

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2013
sms message hacks on iPhone 4s

Can sms messages be hacked from an iphone4s? I'm wondering if my girl got this hooked up after.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So…almost two years later she got lucky again

Went to the Sprint store today to see about new phones and getting our bill lowered. For those wondering why we're still on Sprint, well, the income tax refund got eaten by stuff we needed and stuff that's been put off.

As long as I'm stuck on Sprint I might as well take advantage then.

So, my wife got the gold iPhone 6 128GB - with iOS 8.1.1.

So, I'll be jailbreaking her phone soon.

My iPhone? The Space Gray (as close to black as I can get) iPhone 6+ 128GB.

Sprint had to special order it so it'll be in on Wednesday. I'm hoping it's on 8.1.2 or less. We'll see.

P.S. Her old phone, never updated. Still on iOS 6.0.1.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I was under the impression all new/sealed iPhone 5's were on 6.X
They were up until the release of iOS 7. iOS 7 was released prior to the release of the 5c and the 5s back when the 5 was still the flagship. So at one point there was an overlap where new iPhone 5's had iOS 7. IIRC.

I think though at the time I wrote this initial post I was hoping for 6.1.2 or less because any higher version of 6 was not jailbreakable at that time. 6.1.3 and above did not get a jailbreak until after the jailbreak for iOS 7 (which came on Christmas Day 2013) by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.