Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Anytime there's a choice like this, you'll get a bunch of votes on either side. Whichever one we pick, the people who liked the other choice will gripe. But either way, your opinion was heard!

Letter Q's are round but need room for the tail, so square avatars work best for me. Or triangular. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Bear in mind that there's nothing stopping members from putting a circular avatar into a square space. The other way around isn't possible without compromising the size.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
My vote is for square avatars. A circle can be losslessly inscribed in a square for those who want them, but the opposite requires downscaling or cut off pixels.

This might make an interesting poll.

Another vote for circles here. If everyone gets avatars at least we should make them look more uniform.

How are circles more uniform than squares?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… This might make an interesting poll. …

Definitely. However …

if you take a look right now, you can see it with square avatars. …

attachment.php

I missed that opportunity but glancing at the screenshot, I reckon that it's not representative of how square (or nearly square) avatars could, or should appear in context.

Without the circles: it's unnecessary, maybe inappropriate, to centre the texts above and below the avatar.

Compare the collage above with the collage below. Mocked up roughly with Preview, four more alternatives:

attachment.php

Less is more

Recall that user statistics and so on can appear in the profile overlay within a topic; and the overlay does not prevent scrolling of what's beneath.

For example:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The profile overlay could appear in response to simply pointing at (hovering over) an avatar. In much the same way that we already saw, in the open test site, the opening post overlay when pointing at the title of any topic within a list of topics.

Or, as in XenForo community, the overlay could appear in response to a click on the avatar.

Attachments

• less is more.png
    less is more.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 1,486
  • a.png
    a.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 292
  • b.png
    b.png
    287.2 KB · Views: 293
  • c.png
    c.png
    309.1 KB · Views: 287
  • d.png
    d.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 281

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Design wise, it seems circles are in vogue, MS, Apple and other companies are embracing circles into their designs.

I can't speak for the administrators or arn but I'm sure they're aware of this trending.

Personally, I prefer the square avatars that we have now, but I'm sure as time goes on, I'll get used to the new look that we'll have.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi everyone,

Last night I did a new import of a copy of our database from just a couple of days ago.

Please look around again and see if everything is in place. The most important thing is data migration. So, please, check your attachments, your private messages, your personal data. The style stuff, while also important, is less critical to get 100% right on day 1.

At this point we're migrating to on Sunday (this weekend)... so final checks in place. I still have some minor style things I'll tweak and play with.

arn

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hi everyone,

Last night I did a new import of a copy of our database from just a couple of days ago.

Please look around again and see if everything is in place. The most important thing is data migration. So, please, check your attachments, your private messages, your personal data. The style stuff, while also important, is less critical to get 100% right on day 1.

At this point we're migrating to on Sunday (this weekend)... so final checks in place. I still have some minor style things I'll tweak and play with.

arn
I see no obvious issues with the import. My avatar looks better than it ever has ;) Looking forward to the migration, which is on my birthday xD

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Hi everyone,

arn

Can't login again.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Data seems okay for me as well.

I'm not sure if this was previously brought up or not, but will it be possible to increase the size of the icon/link for 'go to first unread message' in 'watched threads'? It's quite tiny.

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 12.58.42 PM.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I am unable to log in either, at present.

As of now, I am not sure about whether the contents of PMs will migrate too, although I expect that the migration will include this.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yes, I am unable to log in either, at present.

As of now, I am not sure about whether the contents of PMs will migrate too, although I expect that the migration will include this.

The PM's should transfer over. On the new forum a PM is referred to as a 'conversation' and all the PM's in my inbox are present on the test forum, as conversations of course.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Data seems okay for me as well.

I'm not sure if this was previously brought up or not, but will it be possible to increase the size of the icon/link for 'go to first unread message' in 'watched threads'? It's quite tiny.

View attachment 556732

I believe the regular thread links also go to unread.

arn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I believe the regular thread links also go to unread.

arn

Okay, yes. So it does. :eek: Must have been from the site import that it thought post #1 was the first unread when I initially clicked it. I made a test post and tried again and it worked as you said.

Thanks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I am still unable to log in, and just tried to do so a minute or so ago.

My old password no longer works and I have no idea what the new password is as it must have slipped arn's mind when he said he would send a fresh one.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Hi everyone,

arn

Interestingly, my name appears next to some posts I haven't made (recent activity), and other posts I haven't made, liked, or followed the authors of appear as mine (postings).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 1.31.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 1.31.25 PM.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 1.25.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 1.25.57 PM.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 85

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Well, I am still unable to log in, and just tried to do so a minute or so ago.

My old password no longer works and I have no idea what the new password is as it must have slipped arn's mind when he said he would send a fresh one.

I am still unable to login as well.

There is a serious bug with the migration of passwords that have non-ASCII characters. I happened to come across this post on the Xenforo forum.

arn, if you could reset my password again, that'd be great.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Interestingly, my name appears next to some posts I haven't made (recent activity), and other posts I haven't made, liked, or followed the authors of appear as mine (postings).

interesting. I'm guessing this is because the activity data must be from when you were posting before the reimport, and so the thread numbers are different.

will track down where that's stored and wipe it between reimports

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ok, I wiped the recent activity feed for users. Will get that reset next time.

Some of the new posts might not be right either since the search index might not have rebuilt and is used old data for some of it.

For the actual import, we will do a full search index rebuild so we don't have any stuff like that happen.

thanks for the observations

arn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
ok, I wiped the recent activity feed for users. Will get that reset next time.

Some of the new posts might not be right either since the search index might not have rebuilt and is used old data for some of it.

For the actual import, we will do a full search index rebuild so we don't have any stuff like that happen.

thanks for the observations

arn

The new password allows me to access the forum but only as though I were browsing the forums form outside; in other words, while I can read it, I am not logged in, and cannot see 'my' avatar or name anywhere.

----------

And the system is now giving me an error report.

This is very frustrating.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The new password allows me to access the forum but only as though I were browsing the forums form outside; in other words, while I can read it, I am not logged in, and cannot see 'my' avatar or name anywhere.

----------

And the system is now giving me an error report.

This is very frustrating.

Please send me screenshots arn@normalkid.com

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I have no idea how to do that, unfortunately.

Are you on a Mac? Command-Shift-3 will take a screenshot and put it on your desktop. You can then drag that into an email to me.

On iPad or iPhone, you can hold Home and Power buttons at the same time and it will appear in your photo roll. You can email from there.

arn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.