Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
At first, I looked at my calendar and double-checked its not April 1st.

Then, hey, I like that idea. At least they think out of the box, make things out of cardboard. Coool!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So you haven't tried it, I see :)

Sounds like it. :)

There is huge momentum with VR, especially in entertainment. There's been a few false starts in the past, but the consumer gear is on it's way, and given what I've seen at GDC (from Sony, MS, dozens of others) and more recently at Digital Hollywood, this time there's going to be ongoing traction. :cool:

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I wonder how long until oculus sues...
On what basis? They didn't invent the concept and all Google did here was realizing that everybody already carries a device around with all the basic traits of a VR headset with the exception of a mount.

But I can see how Oculus won't be pleased about this. Once people try it, they'll quickly realize that it's just a gimmick that you get tired of pretty quickly, headaches inclusive. It's really not the perfectly immersive VR experience as people claim. Once you're used to it you see all the imperfections in a magnified way, just like with 3d cinema. But that was just my experience with it.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Oh booooo. Must be US only?
Not available in the UK. Someone else posted not available in Canada.

As the news article says, there are lots of places selling similar kit:

There are several third-party companies that have constructed Cardboard viewers based on Google's Cardboard specifications, which can be purchased at prices that start at $20. Google also provides instructions that let users make their own Cardboard headsets.

DODOcase (http://www.dodocase.com/collections/virtual-reality) for example, ship internationally - including to the UK.

Last edited:

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015

DODOcase (http://www.dodocase.com/collections/virtual-reality) for example, ship internationally - including to the UK.

Seems kind of ridiculous to do that when the article says google provides directions of how to make it and it's cardboard.

----------

I'm... just. It's a thing? Actually a thing?

Google Cardboard?

I mean it looks... interesting. But it stinks of a joke. But it's not.

I'm confused.

Free ap, free directions to make it, I don't get the problem. Apple would be selling it for 100.00 made out oF plastic. I'll Happily take the cardboard I can make myself.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Virtual reality city tours? Does that come complete with virtual muggings and virtual cab rides from hell? I'd rather have a virtual trip to Angel's Landing in Zion National Park or a day at North Beach at Fort DeSoto in St Petersburg, FL.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
It is funny how different Google and Apple are. Apple would never use the word cardboard in the title of one of their products.

It's like cats and dogs with these guys, and its a good thing.

"We developed this corrugated paper to have over 100 times the strength of standard paper that you get out of your printer. And it weighs only 3.4 times as much. That is an incredible amount of strength." -Jony Ive

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Any recommendations on a cardboard kit for an iPhone 6 plus? Right now I'm looking at this:

$20 or so seems a bit steep, but after proving everything out, it's basically a wash.

Head Mount Universal Virtual Reality 3d Video Glasses for 4~7 IphoneSamsung" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7A25E2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zaqAvb16K5M2H

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Here's a heads-up:

Virtual Reality is a gimmick and will have as much success as 3D tv.

Lol. People with zero vision are funny.

----------

This sounds like a great Google April Fool's joke.

It's one of those things that we'll look back at in 10 years and laugh our asses off as we have virtual reality built into our contact lenses.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011

Seems kind of ridiculous to do that when the article says google provides directions of how to make it and it's cardboard.

Free ap, free directions to make it, I don't get the problem. Apple would be selling it for 100.00 made out oF plastic. I'll Happily take the cardboard I can make myself.

Very logical - but...

Have you ever bought a loaf of bread (cheap ingredients, free recipes everywhere)?

Or even a little extra for sliced bread?

People will always happily pay a reasonable price for convenience. :)

Reactions: bobob

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015

Very logical - but...

Have you ever bought a loaf of bread (cheap ingredients, free recipes everywhere)?

Or even a little extra for sliced bread?

People will always happily pay a reasonable price for convenience. :)

I get the point but buying bread and a pre cut piece of cardboard is also kind of different, especially those having it shipped to europe.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Anyone find a Cardboard V2 kit optimal for the iPhone 6 (not Plus)?
When I read "up to 6 inches" I envision a full inch of wasted space on a device not living up to the box's potential.
I've also seen hints that the button interface is sub-optimal for iPhones (all kinds), hacking up a "button" via conductive foam pressed onto the screen instead of using NFC or some other reliable connection.
A co-worker had an earlier version that worked perfectly on his Android phone, but when I stuck an iPhone in the case it rattled around, display was off-centered, and button-pushing/tapping was obnoxious. I want that "perfectly" using iOS.
Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.