Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I restored my Shuffle 512mb using iTunes 7. Since then, it will not appear on my desktop and I see no option in iTunes for "enable disk use". Am I missing something?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Ahh, I found it. It seems I didn't notice the scroll bar in the settings tab, and I thought those were the only options available! :rolleyes:

It's the damn interface change that's playing tricks on my eyes.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,657

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
aquajet said:
Ahh, I found it. It seems I didn't notice the scroll bar in the settings tab, and I thought those were the only options available! :rolleyes:

It's the damn interface change that's playing tricks on my eyes.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't notice at first that there was a vertical scroll there either. My iTunes window was just the right size that the bottom of the window make it look like a complete page. :D

puttzer

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
I can't find it!

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't notice at first that there was a vertical scroll there either. My iTunes window was just the right size that the bottom of the window make it look like a complete page. :D

Well I feel like an idiot. I can't find it!!!

Would someone please give me more directions?

Thanks

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What kind of iPod do you have?

For the iPod shuffle, you should still just plug in your iPod, select the "Settings" tab, and then look in the "Options" tab. (Remember that you may need to scroll down on the page to find it.)

For other iPods, it should be on the "Summary" tab, in the "Options" section.

anflovesmos

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
enable disk use is gone!

my computer crashed a few days ago. and i'm trying to get my music from my ipod, to my itunes again. and i've been searching the web and everywhere has said, click enable disk use. and i've even watched videos and where there button is, i have no button! HELP PLEASE!!!!
enablediskuseno.jpg

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
anflovesmos: That's because your iPod touch isn't capable of disk mode. Older model iPods had to be formatted Mac or PC to work in iTunes. The iPod touch and iPhone avoid this by using the Apple Mobile Device Support drivers to communicate between iTunes and the device. What you need to do is download something like TouchCopy to recover info from the iPod. Also let this be a lesson to backup...computers are mechanical devices, as are hard drives, they will eventually break down after some time...

nixnix

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2016
Hi! Unfortunately as of this evening I have an ipod 4 (64GB) with a huge problem: there is no option "enable disk use" in my itunes. Why is this option missing? Or am I blind? I simply cannot find it under the Options where it should be. Here, check my screen:

ipod screen.png

It all happened when I wanted to just upload one new song to my ipod (I always did it manually!). Now of all the songs I had there seems to be only that one, all other songs (more than a thousand!!!) are GONE. I had auto sync options always DISABLED and the songs still seem to be there, but when I want to play them, an exclamation mark is all that happens:

ipod error.png

Is there any way to recover these songs? It was a nice music collection and I don't have backups of all songs. Tried Remo recover already but doesn't seem to detect my ipod (I guess because it is not in "disk use" which is clearly missing) and TouchCopy 12 which detects only the last song I added?! Many thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.